Numisforums and ChatGPT

Ancient Coin Hunter

• Benefactor

I asked ChatGPT about Numisforums. Here is the response I got:

"Numis Forums is a website that provides a platform for discussion threads, numismatic literature, online sales and more. It is the premier ancient and world coin forum where people can discuss coins and other numismatic topics. You can sign up today to take advantage of the full suite of benefits Numis Forum members enjoy1"

Pretty interesting.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

I tried to get it to do coin write ups for my records by saying something like “write me an article about my Gordian III “RIC IV 70” coin, describing the obverse and reverse inscriptions, and the symbolism of the reverse figure. Then also give me a brief history of the featured emperor and the time period of the coin.”

Below is ChatGPT’s reply… you’ll notice several errors, including getting the reverse wrong in two incorrect variations… but  it’s still impressive to get something like this in about 30 seconds of work. Then again, it kinda sounds like me writing papers in college where I’m just BSing my way through, using whatever Wikipedia reference I can find, slamming coffee and cigarettes at 3am.

”Your Gordian III "RIC IV 70" coin is a fascinating piece of history that tells a story of the Roman Empire during a tumultuous time. This coin was minted during the reign of Gordian III, who ruled from 238 to 244 AD. 

Let's start by examining the obverse inscription of the coin. The portrait of Gordian III appears on this side, and the Latin inscription reads "IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG." This translates to "Emperor Gordian Pius Felix Augustus," which was a common title for Roman emperors during this period.

Turning to the reverse inscription, we see a figure standing with his arms outstretched. The Latin inscription on this side reads "VIRTVS AVGG" which translates to "the Virtue of the Emperors." The figure depicted on the reverse is Hercules, the Roman god of strength and heroism. This symbolism is fitting for an emperor who was faced with numerous challenges during his reign.

Gordian III was just 13 years old when he was declared emperor in 238 AD. He was a member of the Gordian dynasty, which was a short-lived line of emperors that ruled the Roman Empire for a brief period. Gordian III was seen as a figurehead ruler, as real power was held by his advisors and mother. Despite this, he was still faced with numerous challenges during his reign, including economic troubles, threats from barbarian invasions, and conflicts with the Sassanid Empire in the east.

One of the most significant events during Gordian III's reign was the Battle of Misiche in 244 AD. This battle saw the Roman army defeated by the Sassanid Empire, and Gordian III was killed in the fighting. His death marked the end of the Gordian dynasty and paved the way for the ascension of the next emperor, Philip the Arab.

In conclusion, your Gordian III "RIC IV 70" coin is a remarkable artifact that sheds light on a turbulent period in Roman history. The obverse and reverse inscriptions provide insight into the titles and symbolism associated with Roman emperors during this time, while the figure of Hercules on the reverse speaks to the challenges faced by Gordian III during his reign. By examining the history of this period, we can gain a better understanding of the complex political and military landscape of the Roman Empire in the 3rd century AD.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

Pretty surprising response. I understand from reading about OpenAI that the chatbot is supposed to be self-learning, meaning that answers will get more accurate over time. If you asked the average person on the street who Gordian III was you'd probably have to do 10,000 interviews to get an affirmative response. Asking about coin specifics and you are probably looking at 1 in a 100,000 or thereabouts. The fear from the technology, outside of eliminating the ability of the average high schooler to write a five paragraph essay, is variable - from sentience to perhaps negative consequences of information that is slightly inaccurate leading to exponentially increasing problems.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

I tried to get it to do coin write ups for my records by saying something like “write me an article about my Gordian III “RIC IV 70” coin, describing the obverse and reverse inscriptions, and the symbolism of the reverse figure. Then also give me a brief history of the featured emperor and the time period of the coin.”

Below is ChatGPT’s reply… you’ll notice several errors, including getting the reverse wrong in two incorrect variations… but  it’s still impressive to get something like this in about 30 seconds of work. Then again, it kinda sounds like me writing papers in college where I’m just BSing my way through, using whatever Wikipedia reference I can find, slamming coffee and cigarettes at 3am.

”Your Gordian III "RIC IV 70" coin is a fascinating piece of history that tells a story of the Roman Empire during a tumultuous time. This coin was minted during the reign of Gordian III, who ruled from 238 to 244 AD. 

Let's start by examining the obverse inscription of the coin. The portrait of Gordian III appears on this side, and the Latin inscription reads "IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG." This translates to "Emperor Gordian Pius Felix Augustus," which was a common title for Roman emperors during this period.

Turning to the reverse inscription, we see a figure standing with his arms outstretched. The Latin inscription on this side reads "VIRTVS AVGG" which translates to "the Virtue of the Emperors." The figure depicted on the reverse is Hercules, the Roman god of strength and heroism. This symbolism is fitting for an emperor who was faced with numerous challenges during his reign.

Gordian III was just 13 years old when he was declared emperor in 238 AD. He was a member of the Gordian dynasty, which was a short-lived line of emperors that ruled the Roman Empire for a brief period. Gordian III was seen as a figurehead ruler, as real power was held by his advisors and mother. Despite this, he was still faced with numerous challenges during his reign, including economic troubles, threats from barbarian invasions, and conflicts with the Sassanid Empire in the east.

One of the most significant events during Gordian III's reign was the Battle of Misiche in 244 AD. This battle saw the Roman army defeated by the Sassanid Empire, and Gordian III was killed in the fighting. His death marked the end of the Gordian dynasty and paved the way for the ascension of the next emperor, Philip the Arab.

In conclusion, your Gordian III "RIC IV 70" coin is a remarkable artifact that sheds light on a turbulent period in Roman history. The obverse and reverse inscriptions provide insight into the titles and symbolism associated with Roman emperors during this time, while the figure of Hercules on the reverse speaks to the challenges faced by Gordian III during his reign. By examining the history of this period, we can gain a better understanding of the complex political and military landscape of the Roman Empire in the 3rd century AD.”

BTW… here’s the coin:
DC3A70BC-4217-404B-B556-543A8B9DA533.jpeg.f58c775b99f039634d801d1e330930e7.jpeg

• Like 6

Yeah even with the errors, it’s pretty cool. Imagine how far it will advance in just a few years, it’s really going to be amazing/terrifying.

I’m sure I would have received a more accurate response if I would have typed out the reverse inscription rather than citing a book that is scarce online.

Here’s another ChatGPT response that’s a bit generic but fun:

Prompt written in about 10 seconds: Make a case for why late Roman bronze coins are the best subset of ancient coins to collect.

Answer:

Late Roman bronze coins can be an excellent subset of ancient coins to collect for several reasons:

1. Historical significance: Late Roman bronze coins provide valuable insights into the final days of the Roman Empire, a period marked by political and social upheaval. These coins can shed light on the struggles that Rome faced during its decline and fall, making them an essential part of Roman history.

2. Accessibility: Late Roman bronze coins are relatively easy to find and affordable to collect. Compared to other ancient coins, such as gold or silver coins, which are often rare and expensive, late Roman bronze coins are more widely available and can be obtained at a lower cost, making them an accessible option for collectors on a budget.

3. Artistic beauty: Late Roman bronze coins often feature intricate designs and detailed engravings, which make them aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Many of these coins depict important historical figures or events, adding to their appeal for both history buffs and coin collectors alike.

4. Collectible variations: Late Roman bronze coins come in a wide range of varieties, including different denominations, mint marks, and inscriptions. This variety allows collectors to focus on specific areas of interest, such as a particular emperor's reign or a specific mint location, which can add depth and nuance to a collection.

5. Longevity: Late Roman bronze coins have been around for over 1,500 years and have survived the test of time. Owning a piece of history that has endured for centuries can be a compelling reason to collect these coins, and their longevity means that they will likely remain a valuable collectible for many years to come.

Overall, collecting late Roman bronze coins can be an enriching and rewarding experience for anyone interested in ancient history or numismatics. With their historical significance, accessibility, artistic beauty, collectible variations, and longevity, they offer a compelling case for why they are one of the best subsets of ancient coins to collect.

• Like 1

I used ToolBaz to make this story, the only input I gave was the word 'tetradrachm'.

Nkosi had been saving up for months in order to buy a new tetradrachm, a rare and valuable coin. It was the pinnacle of his coin collection and he had finally saved enough to purchase it.

But getting his hands on it was another challenge. He had to find it, and it was no easy task. He contacted coin collectors, searched antique stores and scoured the web but all his efforts came to no avail. He was beginning to think his dream was unattainable.

Then an unexpected stroke of luck. At a sale in a flea market, he spotted the tetradrachm on a display shelf. The seller was asking a hefty price for it, but Nkosi was willing to pay whatever it took to get his hands on the precious coin.

He carefully took the coin out of the case and examined its intricate design. He was thrilled to find it was in perfect condition. He held it up to the light and it shone with a dazzling golden brilliance - he knew he had made the right decision.

With his newly acquired treasure, he went straight home and placed it carefully inside a velvet-lined box on his shelf as an important reminder of his first big purchase.

From that day forth, Nkosi's coin collection was never the same. For in the middle of it, like a pillar, a shining tetradrachm sat proudly as a reminder of his drive and determination to get what he wanted.

• Like 1

For decades, there has been speculation in the tech community about the "singularity", the point at which AI will exceed human intelligence, and what lies beyond the event horizon. Now the best and brightest have begun to call for a pull-back of AI, suggesting it may pose an existential threat to humanity. You can't make this stuff up. (But can AI?) 🤔

https://www.reuters.com/technology/ai-pioneer-says-its-threat-world-may-be-more-urgent-than-climate-change-2023-05-05/

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Orange Julius said:

If you asked it to compare and contrast Numisforums with the old place, and got an answer that did more than paraphrase the self-descriptions of both sites, then I'd be impressed! 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

AI has some bad human traits - like making things up when it doesn’t know and not referencing any facts. It’s supposed to learn but how? It relies on the human telling it when it did well, which assumes the human knows. The human has to do all the research they were trying to avoid by using AI in the first place.

I can’t imagine it even being useful for more than very basic customer service until that’s sorted out, given the legal implications of telling a customer the wrong thing.

The last 20% is always the hardest. As with voice recognition and self-driving cars. We’re promised greatness is just around the corner…

As for being more intelligent, it depends what you mean by intelligent. Computers have been vastly better than humans at all sorts of things for a long time. The problem for computers is that humans know what’s good from a human point of view. We are emotional, contradictory creatures with morals, fears and ambitions that don’t make sense to a computer.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

2 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

The human has to do all the research they were trying to avoid by using AI in the first place.

human does but not necessarily the same human who is giving the prompt. Parts of the reinforcement learning process are probably outsourced to people whose sole job it is to assess the output of such models. The difference is that you can have a handful of people improve the model so it is more accurate for the millions of people that use it. The actual end-user who needs the answer and does not know it will need to trust that ChatGPT is giving them the correct answer but eventually these models will get to a point where they have a high degree of accuracy. Then the ratio between those adding to the reinforcement learning loop and those getting accurate answers without needing to do any follow-up research will grow smaller and smaller at a fairly rapid rate.

Of course you still have the same issues with labelling by humans (i.e. many types of biases) but that's another story.

• Like 2

I remember someone explaining an AI scenario some years ago and a comment was made about human experience and common sense was made. It was hypothesised that AI would have difficulty in bridging that gap because the human experience involves morality and choice. 

Here is the scenario.

A robot childminder is driving its wards to school. 

On the way it passes a run down industrial area with a neon light sign above the door of a boarded up warehouse with a clown at the door. The sign says " Drop your children off here for hugs and kisses with the clown".

The children say "we want to see the clown". 

The robot computes that

a) Children like clowns ( here is a decision to be made in itself considering the prevalence of coulrophobia)

b) Children like hugs and kisses. 

The robot asks the children to confirm their affection of clowns and drops the children off as it wants to please them and has been ordered to do so.

This is where the confusion begins. According to Asimov's 3 laws ,which presumably applies to AI. 

"A robot may not injure a human being or , through inaction , allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

In the human scenario, anyone with a modicum of common sense, particularly a parent would not consider the clown offer for a nano-second. The AI has to deal with complex and contradictory data. I endorse @John Conduitt observations and also agree with the comments of @Kaleun96 . Yes the input is critical and having some semblance of the  potential answer is still quite important. I have to write reports and experimented with ChatGPT and have learnt to be very careful. I have used it to take the tedium out of explaining background information. I found that the answers you are given can be biased in relation to the manner and emphasis in which the question is asked as the AI can pick up on nuance and can also emphasis your own bias.

To seque slowly back to coins , here is the coin minted in 2022 to commemorate Alan Turing.

UK 2022 Alan Turing Silver Proof 50pimage.jpeg.3bced6232dd2b19c82aa9cd20e5fcd10.jpeg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

The robot asks the children to confirm their affection of clowns and drops the children off as it wants to please them and has been ordered to do so.

The parent come to harm by being deprived of the schooling for which they have presumably contracted for.  Wouldn't the Asimov robot be required to consider external humans?  Certainly the children couldn't tell the robot to attack a human or steal food from one.

A robot that is capable of evaluating harm correctly would know that some clowns lie.

Here is a coin depicting a robot.  The photo is not of my own coin, but the one from Numista, as mine is in a mint set with a shiny bit of plastic that defies photography.  All of the 1986 San Marino coins were on science fiction themes.

san-marino-1986.jpg.496fdf68674dd49bb1620e3ce071780b.jpg

• Like 8