First Meris Tetradrachm

Curtisimo

I have wanted one of these coins for a long time but, until last year, I hadn’t found the right one for the right price.  The portrait was the main draw for me on this coin. I think that the style is particularly great. It is my representative example for a “12 Olympian Portraits” sub-collection I have been working on.

First_Meris_Tet.jpeg.bf132ef52a180b756885c69c9822196a.jpeg

Macedonia under Roman Protectorate
First Meris AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis mint, struck ca. 167-149 BC
Dia.: 32 mm
Wt.: 16.6 g, 3h
Obv.: Macedonian shield with head of Artemis right, with bow and quiver.
Rev.: Club in wreath between legend: ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ/ΠΡΩΤΗΣ.  APY monogram above.
Ref.: Sear 1386

Background

In 168 BC Lucius Aemilius Paulus defeated Macedonian King Perseus V at the Battle of Pynda.  Perseus was taken captive and forced to walk in Aemilius Paulus’s triumph in Rome.  This was a shocking fall for the kingdom that could claim Alexander the Great and Philip II as it’s forebears. Macedon was divided into four districts or merides.  Each meris was theoretically an autonomous republic, but in actuality, each was subject to Roman client status.  The First Meris was by far the most prolific of the three districts that struck coins.  The First Meris had the benefit of the productive silver mines at Pangaion that were located just east of Amphipolis. The Macedonian shield design element of the coinage was maintained, with the only difference being the substitution of a portrait of the Macedonian King with a portrait of Artemis in the central boss. In 148 BC, the Fourth Macedonian War brought an end to the semi-autonomy of Macedonia and an end to the production of these beautiful tetradrachms.

Please show your:

• Meris Coinage
  • Coins from Macedon
  • Shield coins
  • Coins that took you a long time to cross off you list
  • Anything at all...
  • Like 17
  • Cool Think 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Very pleasing example, I always liked the portrait on them too.

ArtiTet.jpg.27f7188ad6e345ccb50ddd010e56f88f.jpg

Macedonia, Roman Protectorate, First Meris, (167 - 148 B.C.)

AR Tetradrachm
O: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield.
R: MAKEDONWN PRWTHS; Club; monogram above, two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left.
Amphipolis Mint
16.56g
30mm
SNG Copenhagen 1315 // AMNG 176

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Wow!! ... congrats, coin-bros ... both of those Meris coins are awesome!! (congrats on snagging one of those ... sadly, I never did snag one .. sigh)

Oh, but I did snag a whole bunch of cool Macedon coins ... below are merely a few of my sweet ex-winners

MACEDON AKANTHOS a.jpg

MACEDON AKANTHOS b.jpg

Macedon Eion a.jpg

Macedon Eion b.jpg

Macedon Eion Double Geese a.jpg

Macedon Eion Double Geese b.jpg

Macedon Mende a.jpg

Macedon Mende b.jpg

Macedon Mende half assed mule a.jpg

Macedon Mende half assed mule b.jpg

=> congrats again on adding those great examples to your collections!

Cheers

Edited by Steve
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 hours ago, Kali said:

Very pleasing example, I always liked the portrait on them too.

ArtiTet.jpg.27f7188ad6e345ccb50ddd010e56f88f.jpg

Macedonia, Roman Protectorate, First Meris, (167 - 148 B.C.)

AR Tetradrachm
O: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield.
R: MAKEDONWN PRWTHS; Club; monogram above, two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left.
Amphipolis Mint
16.56g
30mm
SNG Copenhagen 1315 // AMNG 176

Beautiful coin @Kali!

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Wow!! ... congrats, coin-bros ... both of those Meris coins are awesome!! (congrats on snagging one of those ... sadly, I never did snag one .. sigh)

Oh, but I did snag a whole bunch of cool Macedon coins ... below are merely a few of my sweet ex-winners

MACEDON AKANTHOS a.jpg

MACEDON AKANTHOS b.jpg

Macedon Eion a.jpg

Macedon Eion b.jpg

Macedon Eion Double Geese a.jpg

Macedon Eion Double Geese b.jpg

Macedon Mende a.jpg

Macedon Mende b.jpg

Macedon Mende half assed mule a.jpg

Macedon Mende half assed mule b.jpg

=> congrats again on adding those great examples to your collections!

Cheers

Beautiful Macedonian animal coins Steve!

• Clap 1

Here is the slightly Celticized version (note the reverse "N").

Macedon (Roman Protectorate), Republican period. First Meris. Circa 167/158-149 BC. AR Tetradrachm Celtic Imitation (32mm, 14.95g, 12h). Celtic imitation of a Amphipolis mint. Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis Tauropoulos right, with bow and quiver over shoulder; all in the center of a Macedonian shield. Rev: ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΣ (N retrograde); Club; above, monogram; below, two monograms; all within oak wreath; in outer left field, thunderbolt. Ref: OTA Taf. 45, 600/1. Vgl. Dembski 1498.

image.jpeg.8be4c01eeba0a5398f2d31c89826b6da.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Cool Think 1

Lovely MSC, my man! Great toning and foxy portrait😍 oh, Artemis, you unattainable babe, you. 

I've got two (and no, not two as in the second meris)

Screenshot_20210407-162917_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.c29d36afe312949db48970b6a13218ec.png1824361_1618170405.l-removebg-preview.png.1a3f829db493f1d541f2e5d1b43cd716.png

no coins are known to hand been minted at the third Meris, or as I like to call it Meris Buehler's day off.

But we do have bronzes from the fourth. By we I mean me. Again, I've a couple:

1000003285-removebg-preview.png.86b7f23755fb6e40abfec7e8d5e6fb7d.png1900990_1620560327.l-removebg-preview.png.f211fc849384843da289b73cdde0e387.png

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mine:
Macedon, Under Roman Rule; First Meris; circa. 167-148 BC.  AR Tetradrachm (31mm; 16.82 gm; 12h); Amphipolis mint. Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis  right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield decorated with seven eight-pointed stars within double crescents, each separated by three pellets. Rev: ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΣ above and below club; monogram above, two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left. AMNG III, 40; SNG Copenhagen 1314; BMC Macedonia 8

MacedonTetA.jpg

Edited by Akropolis
unnecessary entry
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Hmmm... Since I don't own any Meris coin, and I'm not going to be able to post a coin prettier than those added here, I'll aim to take the 'ugliest' prize. Here's a recent pickup (that to me was still an important one)

331A1449-Edit.jpg.eb630b8bae51502b14b21eab407da131.jpg

Macedonia, Mende
400 - 350 BCE
AE 14mm 2.6g
Head of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath /
Two amphorae.
SNG ANS 931-4

• Like 7

On 5/8/2023 at 10:00 PM, Akropolis said:

Mine:
Macedon, Under Roman Rule; First Meris; circa. 167-148 BC.  AR Tetradrachm (31mm; 16.82 gm; 12h); Amphipolis mint. Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis  right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield decorated with seven eight-pointed stars within double crescents, each separated by three pellets. Rev: ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΣ above and below club; monogram above, two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left. AMNG III, 40; SNG Copenhagen 1314; BMC Macedonia 8

MacedonTetA.jpg

Beautiful coin Pete! Thanks for sharing.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:52 PM, kirispupis said:

Hmmm... Since I don't own any Meris coin, and I'm not going to be able to post a coin prettier than those added here, I'll aim to take the 'ugliest' prize. Here's a recent pickup (that to me was still an important one)

331A1449-Edit.jpg.eb630b8bae51502b14b21eab407da131.jpg

Macedonia, Mende
400 - 350 BCE
AE 14mm 2.6g
Head of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath /
Two amphorae.
SNG ANS 931-4

Ugly coins are just as interesting and welcome. Thanks for sharing.  I like the amphora reverse. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1