Gold EID MAR

dougsmit

I suppose Julius Caesar's wife and the old sage may have not even been talking to him and indeed been looking further into the future than anyone could've imagined when they said, "Beware the EID MAR!"

Ps, I've missed you're contributions Doug and really appreciate you posting this. VERY informative and important watch for new and experienced collectors. 

Pss, any new coins in your collection or new photos?

My most recent Septimius Severus in appreciation:

3616759_1672163446.l-removebg-preview.png.35e61a39de2b974098067bf5fc84ca93.png

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Ryro said:

I suppose Julius Caesar's wife and the old sage may have not even been talking to him and indeed been looking further into the future than anyone could've imagined when they said, "Beware the EID MAR!"

The man never got a fair one! He was jumped!

• Laugh 1

39 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Ps, I've missed you're contributions Doug and really appreciate you posting this. VERY informative and important watch for new and experienced collectors. 

Pss, any new coins in your collection or new photos?

I miss collecting coins but the hobby has left me in the dirt.  Coin shows have largely died in my area leaving me with auction houses I do not trust or that charge so much in fees that $100 coins are rare and $50 coins are non existent.  I have not bought any more coins and have no desire to sell the ones I have that most people would want so there is not much incentive to read this every day. It hurts to see people paying the current prices for coins even the low end dealers would not have handled not long ago.  Things like this EID MAR shenanigan add to my increasing tendency to look at coin dealers like used car salesmen so I assume they are crooks until shown otherwise.  There was a time when I felt comfortable buying coins but that is now past.  I enjoy the coins I have and the experiences that led them to me.  The current state of the hobby?  Not so much. 

I really should be taking better photos of my coins that could use photo upgrading.   My last 'new' coin was last October from a show dealer I felt like patronizing (nice guy, does shows and seems honest - what I miss from too many sellers today).  Arados, Astarte / bull, 94-3 BC with legible date under bull, pleasantly green and worn into my price bracket.  It barely fits my collection 'style' and I probably have shown it before.  

g72007aa1382.jpg.d385166667314f7f6bc17bab45e38c46.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Cry 3

Great video, thanks for sharing. 

Its funny, I thought only the holed EID MAR - which has apparently long been disputed - looked genuine to me. The other two, and especially the Roma one, looked quite dubious to me. Obviously, I'm wrong, but still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewStyleKing said:

most of the coins you see for sale have been dug up illegally using metal detectors

So how come ancient coin collecting was a thing pre 1970's before metal detectors first became available ?

I'd have to guess that 95%+ of coins out of England are all legal since most are bronze which weren't even restricted under the old pre-1996 Treasure Trove law, and there's very little incentive to cheat under the current law since non-reporting punishments are severe and finder gets some approximation to market value even in case where it's something exceptional and a museum wants to keep it.

Other countries are all case-by-case, but a blanket statememt of "most coins are illegal" is ridiculous.

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NewStyleKing said:

Look folks, most of the coins you see for sale have been dug up illegally using metal detectors. Don't stress about it!  I'm a Rich Beale supporter, ( he always had good auctions with great coins),. I always thought the provenance was BS though! I hope Roma survives.

If they’re from the UK or Holland, they’re unlikely to be illegal. Nor if they’re from France or Germany, although the restrictions are more complicated so the chances of them being ‘illegal’ goes up a little. I think metal detecting is legal in India, too.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 3

But finding antiquities accidently or otherwise is bad news. I talked to a Bulgarian trader who I was bargaining with and he told me "bad news for you if you get caught with it"!  Turkey the same......Egypt too! Italy too!..............Syria, Iran ( think of all those sassanid and Parthian cons littering e bay) lebanon and palestine...I guess the laws don't get too often prosecuted!  Certainly the UK is easier to navigate, but Nighthawking is common!

Just use your eyes!

4 minutes ago, NewStyleKing said:

But finding antiquities accidently or otherwise is bad news. I talked to a Bulgarian trader who I was bargaining with and he told me "bad news for you if you get caught with it"!  Turkey the same......Egypt too! Italy too!..............Syria, Iran ( think of all those sassanid and Parthian cons littering e bay) lebanon and palestine...I guess the laws don't get too often prosecuted!  Certainly the UK is easier to navigate, but Nighthawking is common!

Just use your eyes!

Yes those countries are difficult if not impossible.

Nighthawking happens in the UK but it’s not ‘common’. There are more metal detectorists in the UK than anywhere else in Europe and almost all want to do it properly, as there is little incentive not to. The vast majority of finds are therefore legal. (If collectors would give a damn about findspots there would be a strong positive incentive to report finds).

The reason nighthawking exists in the UK is because of the rule that they must share their find with the landowner, or because they are trying to loot an archaeological site. Both rules are fair enough - not overly restrictive or unnecessary - so it is simple greed to do it. The damage caused by either is easy to notice in daylight so they can’t go night after night. The police actively prosecute nighthawkers, so it would have to be a find of sizeable value to risk it.

• Like 4