Shipping coins from US to Europe

tartanhill

I am considering consigning some coins to an auction house in San Marino.  Well, they will actually go through Italy.  I have never sent coins to an auction house outside of the US, and I am not quite sure about the customs requirements.  I need them insured for $10,000. Any suggestions from those who have some experience with overseas shipping?  Any help will be appreciated.

• Like 1

I appreciate your responses.  What I really need is to hear from someone in the US who has recently consigned coins to an auction house in Europe.  If it were to Italy or San Marino, even better.  Were you able to get your shipment insured for a reasonable amount?  What shipping company did you use?  Were you responsible for any custom's charges?  Hope someone can give me some advice.

26 minutes ago, tartanhill said:

What I really need is to hear from someone in the US who has recently consigned coins to an auction house in Europe. 

To reinforce the other answers - it won't do you any good!

San Marino != EU

So if someone here has sent something from the USA to Spain (Jesus Vico), to France (CGB) or to Germany (Künker) (these are all just examples now) - it will not help you that San Marino is NOT in the USA! And above all - since San Marino is also surrounded by the very strict (!) Italy - there are many things to consider when sending to and from San Marino! I don't know these many legal details (like probably everyone here) because we don't do business in San Marino!

In addition, every trader has his own individual possibilities. Maybe the auction house in San Marino also has a department in Germany where coins are accepted and you don't have to send it through Italy. I know this from a Swiss auction house - as an example.

There are also auction houses where you have to look for the transport company yourself and take care of the insurance yourself. But I also know auction houses - I would like to mention Naumann from Austria - that hire a transport company that collects the coins from me fully insured and I don't have to worry about anything!

But every auction house is different!

Therefore it does NOTHING (!) if someone here tells you about his experiences with other European auction houses! Because every auction house does it differently. And also many countries are different.

You need the answers from the country San Marino.
You need the information from the auction house!

I don't understand why you don't just ask those who know. The auction house ships all the time and they will buy coins all the time. So nobody knows better than they do. The only right way is to ask the auction house.

34 minutes ago, tartanhill said:

Were you responsible for any custom's charges? 

Customs duty is always paid by the recipient in the destination country! And also therefore it is important to connect with the recipient! How exactly must the coins be declared? What has to be taken into account for customs? So as not to incur unnecessary charges later.

36 minutes ago, tartanhill said:

What shipping company did you use?

Many normal companies like DHL and Co generally refuse such high value shipments. For such a large sum, you should always use an extra courier service that offers "Valoren" shipping.

37 minutes ago, tartanhill said:

Were you able to get your shipment insured for a reasonable amount?

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/ 

But again to the end. do not do this on your own! Work together with the auction house. Otherwise you will end up with a very nasty surprise - and maybe a big financial loss!