Any successes at Roma today?

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Curious what everyone picked up or didn't get.

For me, I bid on ten coins and won seven, including my top three - though I wound up paying more than I would have preferred. I'm not sure if the market for Greek bronzes is heating up, or if I'm just in contention for tougher coins now.

This was one of my top targets. Yes, IMHO I paid too much but it was a high priority since I'll be visiting Epidauros in a few weeks and would like to have photos of the ruins along with a coin on my site.

epidauros_roma.jpg.99a3cb937aeb2c0903c41ee560955bf8.jpg

I also finally picked up a Kamnaskires III tet, which will go in my "Kingdoms After Alexander" collection as a representative for Elymais. I'm not posting it here because I'm not a fan of Roma's photo, but I've been eyeing these for some time and am very happy with the one I got. It seems that Roma's been given a hoard of these, since they've been listing two to three at every auction for some time now. Maybe two years ago these issues were pricy, but they've come down significantly with the greater supply. I'm not sure how many Roma has, but at some point I'd imagine the hoard will dry up and prices will go back up.

My other top two choices will deserve separate posts later. They're both important for "mini-collections" I've formed within my "cities" collection. One is from a very rare mint on a Greek island that had two mints. Since I already have the other one, I've completed the set! The other is for a mini-collection I've been working on for some time, and with this addition I'm now only missing one coin.

• Like 9
  • Cookie 3

I won three coins - but was not my favorite auction of the next weeks and months. So the won lots are fine and nice - but not important for me. Its ok to win - but was not my first prio the next time.

23735.2.63_1.jpg

Nero and Drusus (brothers of Caligula), as Caesars, Æ Dupondius. Rome, AD 40-41. NERO ET DRVSVS CAESARES, Nero and Drusus on horseback riding to right, cloaks flying / C•CAESAR DIVI AVG•PRON•AVG•P•M•TR•P•IIII•P P• around large S•C. RIC I 49 (Gaius) corr. (rev. legend); C. 1; BMCRE 70. 15.43g, 30mm, 7h.

This Nero und Drusus Dupondius.

23735.3.52_1.jpg

Domitian Æ As. Rome, AD 86. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P, laureate head to right, wearing aegis / VIRTVTI AVGVSTI, Virtus standing to right, resting foot on helmet, holding spear and parazonium. RIC II.1 500; BMCRE 394. 12.28g, 29mm, 6h.

This AE As from Domitian...

16291.9.176_1.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius. Rome, AD 77-78. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head to right / Two oxen yoked together, standing to left; COS VIII in exergue. RIC II.1 943; BMCRE 206; RSC 133a. 3.53g, 20mm, 6h.

And this Vespasian Denarius (see Post your latest...)...

Next coin i didn`t win! 

This denarius of Marcus Aurelius was my real target today. But somehow, at 900 pounds, I didn't want to go any further. Congratulations to the lucky winner - a really extremely beautiful specimen.

4001.466.115_1.jpg

Marcus Aurelius AR Denarius. Rome, AD 166. M ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head to right / TR P XX IMP IIII COS III, Pax standing to left, holding branch and cornucopiae; PAX in exergue. RIC III 159 corr. (Pax seated); BMCRE 401; RSC 435. 3.57g, 19mm, 5h.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 15
  • Cookie 2
  • Shock 1

• Benefactor
51 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I won three coins - but was not my favorite auction of the next weeks and months. So the won lots are fine and nice - but not important for me. Its ok to win - but was not my first prio the next time.

Those are all nice wins! I agree on not moving forward with your one loss. That was the same case for the three I didn't pick up. They just went too high and I'm confident I'll see similar ones again soon.

I was going to make a new thread, but thought I'd save space and say that what a nice day it's been coin-wise!

1. Picked up the coins I mentioned at the top of this thread
  2. Went on VCoins and found a coin that I was very tempted to bid on two months ago. I didn't bid on it at the time because I'd already spent so much in that auction. Granted, the Roma auction today wasn't cheap, but the exact same coin was listed for the same price I would have paid had I beat the winning bid by one increment. The coin is one of only five known and is crucial for my "The 10,000" collection, so I didn't pass on it this time.
  3. Visited a different coin site and a new rarity was posted for a very reasonable price from a city I wasn't aware of. Given that the coin didn't cost much, I bit immediately.

So, this was a very nice (albeit expensive) day!

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

I had bids on about a half-dozen coins but was outbid on all but two. And then I discovered much later that I'd lost one of those, too! 😠 Even though I sat and watched the time count down to zero with a comfortably winning bid. I was outbid by £5. So I will probably end up paying at least 2x the hammer price of the lot I won, after fees, shipping, and the unfavorable USD/GPB exchange rate. Oh well....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CPK said:

I had bids on about a half-dozen coins but was outbid on all but two. And then I discovered much later that I'd lost one of those, too! 😠 Even though I sat and watched the time count down to zero with a comfortably winning bid. I was outbid by £5. So I will probably end up paying at least 2x the hammer price of the lot I won, after fees, shipping, and the unfavorable USD/GPB exchange rate. Oh well....

I know it's slightly higher than the end of last year, but I wouldn't call 1.2 USD-GBP unfavourable. That's close to the most favourable ever. In less turbulent times, it would be 1.4-1.8.

• Like 4
  • Yes 2

50 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I know it's slightly higher than the end of last year, but I wouldn't call 1.2 USD-GBP unfavourable. That's close to the most favourable ever. In less turbulent times, it would be 1.4-1.8.

Well, yeah, historically it's not bad but it still amounts to another 20% buyer's premium.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

The bidding seemed quite robust generally speaking.  I didn't see anything in the sale that was a priority for me, so I made some lowball bids (relative to the estimates) and got wiped out, except for one lot, and you won't believe what it is - another owl!  This has got to stop! (Lotsa luck!) 

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

I bid on only one coin, and was successful at exactly my maximum bid -- certainly the most I've ever paid for a Gallienus Zoo coin (or any other Gallienus coin), but then again it's in the best condition of any I've ever bought. Not a particularly interesting animal, but pretty nice-looking for a goat! Here I go potentially jinxing a Transatlantic delivery again: 

image.jpeg.e1aad8a824218f047b8e23fcf3ff79a3.jpeg

Of course the write-up will follow once it's delivered.

• Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I bid on only one coin, and was successful at exactly my maximum bid -- certainly the most I've ever paid for a Gallienus Zoo coin (or any other Gallienus coin), but then again it's in the best condition of any I've ever bought. Not a particularly interesting animal, but pretty nice-looking for a goat! Here I go potentially jinxing a Transatlantic delivery again: 

image.jpeg.e1aad8a824218f047b8e23fcf3ff79a3.jpeg

Of course the write-up will follow once it's delivered.

That's a lovely coin, with a wonderful goat and a great portrait!

Are you using DHL?  I switched to that service after the unfortunate incident that I experienced last year with the USPS.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor
37 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

That's a lovely coin, with a wonderful goat and a great portrait!

Are you using DHL?  I switched to that service after the unfortunate incident that I experienced last year with the USPS.

Thanks! I usually do use DHL with Roma. Very fast.

7 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

23735.2.63_1.jpg

Nero and Drusus (brothers of Caligula), as Caesars, Æ Dupondius. Rome, AD 40-41. NERO ET DRVSVS CAESARES, Nero and Drusus on horseback riding to right, cloaks flying / C•CAESAR DIVI AVG•PRON•AVG•P•M•TR•P•IIII•P P• around large S•C. RIC I 49 (Gaius) corr. (rev. legend); C. 1; BMCRE 70. 15.43g, 30mm, 7h.

23735.3.52_1.jpg

Domitian Æ As. Rome, AD 86. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P, laureate head to right, wearing aegis / VIRTVTI AVGVSTI, Virtus standing to right, resting foot on helmet, holding spear and parazonium. RIC II.1 500; BMCRE 394. 12.28g, 29mm, 6h.

16291.9.176_1.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius. Rome, AD 77-78. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head to right / Two oxen yoked together, standing to left; COS VIII in exergue. RIC II.1 943; BMCRE 206; RSC 133a. 3.53g, 20mm, 6h.

Next coin i didn`t win! 

This denarius of Marcus Aurelius was my real target today. But somehow, at 900 pounds, I didn't want to go any further. Congratulations to the lucky winner - a really extremely beautiful specimen.

4001.466.115_1.jpg

Marcus Aurelius AR Denarius. Rome, AD 166. M ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head to right / TR P XX IMP IIII COS III, Pax standing to left, holding branch and cornucopiae; PAX in exergue. RIC III 159 corr. (Pax seated); BMCRE 401; RSC 435. 3.57g, 19mm, 5h.

Didn’t bid for this reason, lots were just not there for me in terms of quality

7 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

23735.2.63_1.jpg

23735.3.52_1.jpg

16291.9.176_1.jpg

Next coin i didn`t win! 

4001.466.115_1.jpg

Also extremely overpriced, i have empathy for the buyer- that individual just lost at least 600 pounds…

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1