Success means... spam!

Restitutor

Hi Everyone,

As I'm sure you've noticed, we've been hit with a litany of spam bots over the last 12-ish hours. This is obviously super annoying, and I've been working on the backend to enhance the spam prevention. It seemed to work for about 4 or 5 hours last night so I went to bed, then woke up to more. I've added further enhancements since waking up, but we may be in a little bit of a wack-a-mole as I continue testing things out. Fortunately I'm awake again, so will catch things and clean it up quickly as needed. 

I apologize profusely for this annoyance; I suppose it means our site is now doing well enough that we're popping up in the spammer rosters. So, yay success! Lol 🙂 😅

-Res

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Thanks, @Restitutor! Not all fruits of success are sweet, I guess!

One thing I noticed: when I put a spammer on “ignore,” while I couldn’t see their comments, I could still see their topics in the main list. Maybe there’s a setting to change this? Then we could just “ignore” them while we’re waiting for you to tidy up.

Might also be a good idea to have a couple subordinate admins with the power to shut down spammers.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

6 hours ago, Restitutor said:

Hi Everyone,

As I'm sure you've noticed, we've been hit with a litany of spam bots over the last 12-ish hours. This is obviously super annoying, and I've been working on the backend to enhance the spam prevention. It seemed to work for about 4 or 5 hours last night so I went to bed, then woke up to more. I've added further enhancements since waking up, but we may be in a little bit of a wack-a-mole as I continue testing things out. Fortunately I'm awake again, so will catch things and clean it up quickly as needed. 

I apologize profusely for this annoyance; I suppose it means our site is now doing well enough that we're popping up in the spammer rosters. So, yay success! Lol 🙂 😅

-Res

Thanks for sweeping out the trash ☺️!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Thanks, @Restitutor! Not all fruits of success are sweet, I guess!

One thing I noticed: when I put a spammer on “ignore,” while I couldn’t see their comments, I could still see their topics in the main list. Maybe there’s a setting to change this? Then we could just “ignore” them while we’re waiting for you to tidy up.

Might also be a good idea to have a couple subordinate admins with the power to shut down spammers.

Thanks for the heads up Sev! I’ll look into this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1