Probus 276-282 AD

thenickelguy

Probus.jpg.1f54d05f30b868d1bae722c4d6d3e533.jpg

Antoninianus of Probus, Clementia Type. Natural Desert Patina.
Ancient Coins - Antoninianus of Probus, Clementia Type. Natural Desert Patina.

Probus was a successful general and a conscientious administrator. During his six-year tenure, he repelled numerous barbarian invasions and quelled several internal revolts. According to Edward Gibbon in The Decline of the Roman Empire, he demonstrated leniency to the vanquished whenever possible. Hence, his most common coinage invokes Clementia, the goddess of mercy and acquittal.

Probus, AD 276-282.

AR antoninianus, 23mm, 3.7g, 12h; uncertain mint.

Obv.: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.

Rev.: CLEMENTIA TEMP; Emperor standing right holding scepter, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left leaning on scepter; uncertain letter in exergue.

• Like 13

Everyone should have a Probus or two or three. But why stop there? I know collectors who have made a focused Probus collection their lifelong pursuit! This is my most recent Probus addition to my collection.

Probus SOLI INVICTO quadriga antoninianus Serdica.jpg
Probus, AD 276-282.
Roman billon antoninianus, 4.15 g, 22.05 mm, 6 h.
Serdica, 4th officina, 4th emission, AD 277.
Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust, left, in imperial mantle, holding eagle-tipped scepter.
Rev: SOLI INVICTO, Sol, in spread quadriga, raising right hand and holding whip in left hand; -/-//KAΔ.
Refs: RIC 861 H; RCV 12040 var. (bust).

• Like 12

@thenickelguy

A few details to add to the OP coin. The obverse legend on your coin does not have P F, it is just IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG.

The style of the coin makes mint identification possible. It comes from Tripolis which has a quite distinctive bust.

Here is one from the same style that does have the P F 

RI%20132gy%20img.jpg

Regards,

Martin

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 1

I have many many many Probus coins.

Here are a select few.

A Lugdunum - ADVENTVS PROBI AVG

RI_132ma_img~0.jpg

Rome  - ROMAE AETERNAE - this was a gift from a coin friend who has not departed - it will stay with me forever in their memory

RI_132td_img~0.JPG

A Ticinum Hercules

RI_132wn_img.jpg

Siscia - Emperor and Jupiter

RI_132yx_img.JPG

Serdica - Sol in quadriga

RI_132ga_img.jpg

Same type but Cyzicus

RI_132bw_img.jpg

Antioch

RI_132bx_img.JPG

The newly identified uncertain eastern mint.....

RI_132xm_img.jpg

• Like 9

Probus, like Gallienus for example, has a wide array of affordable and beautiful coins with various portraits and reverses.  It's certainly a good idea to grab a few Probus coins as you won't go bankrupt (alhough the beautiful Adventus coins might contradict me).

I remember I lost a very decent Alexandria tetradrachm with the eagle reverse, back in October. Very bad decision as the coin was cheap and pleasant.

Funny, a Probus coin was one of the first ancients I have ever touched, about 7 years ago, when collecting ancient coins was not a goal. Found it in a numismatic show. Price was 3 EUR back then. Even if usually I do not refuse worn coins, after years, when I started collecting ancient coins more seriously, I probably overpaid 😐

image.png.648de80888515b50d6fedcb38f0f73ed.png

But in my own defence, I never bought another coin in a similar condition after starting collecting, which was 5 years later.

Here are my only 2 Probus antoninianii - I particularly like the second

image.png.62294e8e2e2d85e8ac190811a14f88f6.png

Probus AD 276-282. Antioch Antoninianus Æ 22 mm., 2,86 g. C
RIC V Probus 922
AD 276 - AD 282
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG
Bust of Probus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right
CLEMENTIA TEMP
Probus, standing right, holding sceptre, receiving Victory set on globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre
MintMark: A//XXI

image.png.73cd738a502a818a0bfe9922940ddfdb.png

Probus AD 276-282. Rome.Antoninianus Æ. 22 mm, 3,59 g
RIC V Probus 187
Date Range: AD 276 - AD 282
PROBVS P F AVG
Bust of Probus, radiate, wearing imperial mantle, left, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle in right hand
ROMAE AETER
Hexastyle temple, Roma seated in centre, holding Victory in right hand and sceptre in left hand
MintMark: -/-//RVA

• Like 7