Post your fossils, minerals and crystals

expat

It was quite good. Interesting the tussle between  Museum types and private collectors,  Similar with coins!  The Museo Archaeolgica Chieti ,Italy has had its portion of the Poggio Picenze hoard for ONLY 70 years  and will not allow the the publication of the hoard, it is like its OUR PROPERTY!  PO!  The hoard is an interesting mix , presumably the savings of a Sullan veteran of the 1st Mithradatic war Sullan soldier, Lucullan's, New Styles, Pontic, Cappadocian, Bithynian etc plus lots of Aetolian league stuff and reputedly Roman denarii!  I asked for photographs so that I could publish ( FREE!) the New Styles but they played around and basically obstructed numismatical knowledge.

That is how it lies some YEARS later!  There is no difference between Public and private in my opinion  except some of us private people are better than the paid professionals in morals!

The picture is from Ms Campanella's exhibition of the hoard of which I cannot find any information, on the web, or from the museo...does the WWW.  exist in Italy?

The tail end of the photograph is interesting in New Style studies and contains a rarity, but does the Italians know or care...NO!  A part of the hoard is published in NSSCA and in the ANS, some was dispersed and this portion was imprisoned in almost solitary confinement! 

Collezione_numismatica_(Chieti).jpg

• Like 4

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

It was quite good. Interesting the tussle between  Museum types and private collectors,  Similar with coins!  The Museo Archaeolgica Chieti ,Italy has had its portion of the Poggio Picenze hoard for ONLY 70 years  and will not allow the the publication of the hoard, it is like its OUR PROPERTY!  PO!  The hoard is an interesting mix , presumably the savings of a Sullan veteran of the 1st Mithradatic war Sullan soldier, Lucullan's, New Styles, Pontic, Cappadocian, Bithynian etc plus lots of Aetolian league stuff and reputedly Roman denarii!  I asked for photographs so that I could publish ( FREE!) the New Styles but they played around and basically obstructed numismatical knowledge.

That is how it lies some YEARS later!  There is no difference between Public and private in my opinion  except some of us private people are better than the paid professionals in morals!

The picture is from Ms Campanella's exhibition of the hoard of which I cannot find any information, on the web, or from the museo...does the WWW.  exist in Italy?

The tail end of the photograph is interesting in New Style studies and contains a rarity, but does the Italians know or care...NO!  A part of the hoard is published in NSSCA and in the ANS, some was dispersed and this portion was imprisoned in almost solitary confinement! 

Collezione_numismatica_(Chieti).jpg

I've read about the issue of access to the new style owls held by the Museo Archaeolgica.  They may come around yet and allow access to them for researchers, time will tell.

The issue in Fossil Country regarding museums centers around the cost of truly unique and valuable finds.  Most museums, even well endowed ones, often can't afford to compete with wealthy private collectors for these types of fossils.  As with coins, this issue has roots going back many years, especially since the explosion in interest with the Green River fossil fish and other vertebrate fossils from the area.  Still, some museums such as the Field Museum in Chicago seem to have a good working relationship with the various quarries.  

As with coins, the film looks at the conflict between academic researchers and fossil collectors.  Should the US prohibit the sale of fossils, in line with Europe and other countries?  I don't think that type of law should apply to the vast amounts of common finds.  The truly unique finds, such as the three-toe horse are a different situation.  As things turned out with that find, the Smithsonian Museum was able to raise the funds, with the help of donors, to acquire the fossil, so now it is on public exhibit for all to see with wonder. 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

While generally lacking in color, this is a very rare agate nonetheless.  The Soviets were said to have used dynamite to break up the formation containing the nodules, resulting in lots of broken, shattered pieces.  The surviving stones were kept in a warehouse somewhere in the USSR for years, appearing on the market for a brief period in the early 2000s. I haven't seen any new offerings for many years now, and no more examples are expected to come out of Russia.

This is my northern most agate, from the Arctic region of Russian.  I guess it is fitting that it has the colors of a northern winter.

Agate, Taymyr River, Siberia, Russia, 55mm x 56mm x 35mm, 156.8 grams.

1575986631_D-CameraAgateTaymyrRiverSiberiaRussi55mmx56mmx35mm156.8g10-5-22.jpg.39019a803f7b1310bddcfc34fa4ef142.jpg

This specimen is a very good example of how variations in pressure within the cavity influences how successive deposits of silica solutions expand and contract.  Note the "squeezed" nature of the central banding, creating a distortion in what would otherwise be a more evenly distributed banding.  Since the deposition of the silica solution occur after the cooling of the parent formation, and this occurs at relatively low temperatures to form the fine cryptocrystalline structures, the pressure variation might be due, in my view, to external factors, notably the welling up of superheated water or steam from areas close to a magma chamber, a various intervals.  This is just a guess on my part; I am by no means an authority to say the least.  It is fun to speculate on these things.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 6
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

7 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

While generally lacking in color, this is a very rare agate nonetheless.  The Soviets were said to have used dynamite to break up the formation containing the nodules, resulting in lots of broken, shattered pieces.  The surviving stones were kept in a warehouse somewhere in the USSR for years, appearing on the market for a brief period in the early 2000s. I haven't seen any new offerings for many years now, and no more examples are excepted to come out of Russia.

Agate, Taymyr River, Siberia, Russia, 55mm x 56mm x 35mm, 156.8 grams.

1575986631_D-CameraAgateTaymyrRiverSiberiaRussi55mmx56mmx35mm156.8g10-5-22.jpg.39019a803f7b1310bddcfc34fa4ef142.jpg

Wonderful seperations, great image.

This was a gift, have no idea where it is from

20220611_111739 (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor

I do have a few individual crystals.  This is a very dark blue tourmaline from the Shigar District, Pakistan.   Its chemical composition is Na(Li 1.5 Al 1.5 )Al 6 (Si 6 O 18 )(BO 3 ) 3 (OH) 3 (OH).

Indicolite Tourmaline Crystal , Shigar District, Pakistan, 32mm x 59mm x 33mm, 747.5 carats.

1554223259_D-CameraTourmalineCrystalindicolitePakistan32mmx59mmx33mm747.5carats10-5-22.jpg.d43504e1aac146d5d00e200679369e65.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 4
  • Cool Think 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, NewStyleKing said:

Not aware the UK has a prohibition on the private sale of fossils.  Maybe ours are not good enough!!!

Technically, in the UK fossils belong to the landowner. But generally, you can keep anything you find. The exception is in places like the Jurassic Coast (i.e. where you would find fossils) where certain fossils that are scientifically signficant (new species etc) have to be reported and have particular rules for selling. You're also not allowed to dig there.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Conduitt said:

Technically, in the UK fossils belong to the landowner. But generally, you can keep anything you find. The exception is in places like the Jurassic Coast (i.e. where you would find fossils) where certain fossils that are scientifically signficant (new species etc) have to be reported and have particular rules for selling. You're also not allowed to dig there.

Almost the same here in Spain. Anything found loose on the surface is yours, No digging allowed. Any vertibrate fossils found have to be reported.

• Like 1