New Macrinus Provincial from Nicopolis

DonnaML

• Benefactor

I don't believe we've had a thread yet devoted just to the Imperial and Provincial coins of Macrinus. Since a new coin of his arrived in the mail today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to begin one.

Macrinus Æ26, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior, AD 217-218. Under Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front,  with aegis on left shoulder (snake protruding, representing Medusa’s hair) and head of Medusa on breastplate of cuirass, AV K OΠΠEΛ CEV - H MAKΡINOC / Rev. the emperor driving triumphal quadriga (decorated with image of Victory) to right, holding reins and transverse sceptre in left hand, raising right hand in salute; Virtus or soldier preceding, stepping right before the horses with head reverted to left and holding vexillum over shoulder; above, trophy of arms between two seated captives; VΠ AΓΡIΠΠA NIKOΠOΛ around from 8:00; in exergue in two lines, ITΩN ΠΡ OC | ICTΡΩ. 10.38g, 26mm, 6h. Pick, AMNG I/I 1712 (at p. 440) & Pl. XIX nr. 16 [rev. die match] [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) (6 specimens)]; Corpus Nummorum Online 26655 [see https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/CN_26655]; Varbanov I 3405 (var. obv. legend) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.23.34.2 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov, The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)]. [39 examples on ACSearch, inclusive of duplicates.] Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 220th Buy or Bid Sale, June 2022, Lot 334; ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., Auction XX, 29 Oct. 2020, Lot 384 [described as “Near Extremely Fine; beautiful olive green patina. Very Rare”](acquired from Leu Numismatik AG); ex Helios Numismatik, Auction 8, 13 October 2012, lot 337 (ex European collection, formed before 2005). [Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100313?fromBbs=220th Buy Or Bid Sale.] 

As another example of the differences in the photos taken by different auction houses, here are the HJB and Roma photos in that order. In my opinion, the color of the coin in hand is actually somewhere in between the two: darker than the Roma photo, but lighter than the HJB photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.17ada117565eb0b0ef44db1aba431f75.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69eee5d9461b3176b029b0b7dcf45116.jpeg

Please post your coins of Macrinus, either Imperial or Provincial.  Here are my only two others:

Macrinus AR Denarius 217 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M OPEL MACRINVS AVG   / Rev. Securitas standing, facing, leaning on a column, head left, holding a scepter, PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. RIC IV-2 24, RSC III 62, Sear RCV II 7347. 19 mm., 1.58 g.

image.thumb.jpeg.1470f6083d3b527961651a41a8b6422e.jpeg

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS  (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex.: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

image.jpeg.a56f32866a55a95279fa9670d5d9d3dc.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 25
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Confused 1

• Benefactor

Wow, Donna => that's a fantastic new Macrinus addition ... congrats

Actually, all of the coins you posted are total winners

I only had one Macrinus coin ... here it is

Macrinus. AR Denarius (below)

Rome mint. 3rd emission

March-June AD 218

217-218 AD

Diameter: 19 mm

Weight: 2.95 grams

Obverse: Laureate and draped bust right

Reverse: Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia

Reference: RIC IV 53; Clay Issue 3; RSC 2 (Antioch)

Other: 6h … lightly toned, minor porosity

Ex-steve6

Macrinus.jpg

• Like 14

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

The reverse is highly interesting.

Thanks, @Ancient Coin Hunter. It was the only coin that caught my eye in the new HJB sale to the extent of immediately saying to myself "I really want this!" These days, I react like that to maybe 1 out of every 500-1,000 coins I look at that are available at retail. Some people might think the reverse is too busy -- you could easily make three separate reverses out of it, one for the emperor in quadriga, one for Virtus, and one for the trophy of arms between two captives -- but I really like it. And the engraving is unusually good for a Provincial, I think.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

Cool coin, @DonnaML, and with a very interesting aegis on the obverse! I've never seen one depicted like that before! Here's one of my Macrinus provincials. It's my favorite.

[IMG]
Macrinus, AD 217-218.
Roman provincial Æ pentassarion, 12.64 g, 27 mm, 1 h.
Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis, Legate Marcus Claudius Agrippa, AD 218.
Obv: ΑV Κ ΟΠΠΕΛ CΕVΗ ΜΑΚΡΙΝΟC, laureate head, right.
Rev: VΠ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟC ΙCΤΡΩ, Nude Apollo with crossed legs standing right, his right arm drawn back, his left on a tree trunk, from which a lizard leaps across to him.
Refs: AMNG I 1687; Moushmov 1210; Hristova and Jekov 8.23.7.2; Varbanov 3348; Mionnet Suppl. 2, p. 148, 541.

• Like 13

The protruding aegis' snake on the cuirass is something I haven't seen before. Great acquisition. Congratulations!

And those are really two completely different pictures. Better detail on the HJB, but very busy. The Roma is more pleasing to the eye, but lacks depth. I hope in hand the coin combines the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't believe we've had a thread yet devoted just to the Imperial and Provincial coins of Macrinus. Since a new coin of his arrived in the mail today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to begin one.

Macrinus Æ26, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior, AD 217-218. Under Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front,  with aegis on left shoulder (snake protruding, representing Medusa’s hair) and head of Medusa on breastplate of cuirass, AV K OΠΠEΛ CEV - H MAKΡINOC / Rev. the emperor driving triumphal quadriga (decorated with image of Victory) to right, holding reins and transverse sceptre in left hand, raising right hand in salute; Virtus or soldier preceding, stepping right before the horses with head reverted to left and holding vexillum over shoulder; above, trophy of arms between two seated captives; VΠ AΓΡIΠΠA NIKOΠOΛ around from 8:00; in exergue in two lines, ITΩN ΠΡ OC | ICTΡΩ. 10.38g, 26mm, 6h. Pick, AMNG I/I 1712 (at p. 440) & Pl. XIX nr. 16 [rev. die match] [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) (6 specimens)]; Corpus Nummorum Online 26655 [see https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/CN_26655]; Varbanov I 3405 (var. obv. legend) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.23.34.2 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov, The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)]. [39 examples on ACSearch, inclusive of duplicates.] Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 220th Buy or Bid Sale, June 2022, Lot 334; ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., Auction XX, 29 Oct. 2020, Lot 384 [described as “Near Extremely Fine; beautiful olive green patina. Very Rare”](acquired from Leu Numismatik AG); ex Helios Numismatik, Auction 8, 13 October 2012, lot 337 (ex European collection, formed before 2005). [Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100313?fromBbs=220th Buy Or Bid Sale.] 

As another example of the differences in the photos taken by different auction houses, here are the HJB and Roma photos in that order. In my opinion, the color of the coin in hand is actually somewhere in between the two: darker than the Roma photo, but lighter than the HJB photo.

Please post your coins of Macrinus, either Imperial or Provincial.  Here are my only two others:

Macrinus AR Denarius 217 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M OPEL MACRINVS AVG   / Rev. Securitas standing, facing, leaning on a column, head left, holding a scepter, PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. RIC IV-2 24, RSC III 62, Sear RCV II 7347. 19 mm., 1.58 g.

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ Macrinus ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS  (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex.: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

Congrats. I browsed the bid or buy sale and that was one of the few that stood out as a deal to me. The rest were overpriced 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ Macrinus ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS  (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex.: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

The second provincial gives me some Gallienus vibes for some reason, not used to that style for Macrinus. 

Really good catch overall. 

• Like 1

The Nicopolis  coin is superb - reverse is "busier" than any Provincial I have seen, but for me this is a plus. Especially since the condition is excellent and all the reverse elements are clearly visible. I also like the obverse being "busier" than classic obverses - aegis with snake, Medusa on breastplate.

I don't have an imperial Macrinus - it is not a major priority for me.

But here are my 2 Macrinus provincials.

image.png.6994d2769d09fa39c9901e1998758c1c.png

I like Antioch coins mainly because of their obverses, I think Antioch is one of the top mints when it comes to asccuracy for portraits. Generally speaking

Macrinus (217-218) Syria: Antiochia ad Orontem, c. AD 217-218 AE20
AVT K MOC MAKPINOC CE - laureate head right.
Rev. SC within laurel wreath above (wreath closed with diamond), Δ below, ε.
McAlee 723; Butcher 463a.
3,91 g, 20 mm

But although I was happy to tick another emperor in my collection, I can't say I like this coin too much so I tried to get another Macrinus coin, in a better condition and with a more interesting reverse. This one was just what I wanted.

image.png.63eb5bd864e24c393d0a8973168cbef7.png

Seleucis and Pieria. Laodicea ad Mare. Macrinus AD 217-218.
Bronze Æ
27 mm, 13,60 g
IMP C M OP S-EVE MACRINO-S AVG, laureate head of Macrinus right / ROMAE above, FEL in exergue, she-wolf standing right, head turned to look back at the suckling twins, Romulus and Remus. Cf. SNG Hunterian 3218 (obv. legend); SNG Righetti 2121; SNG Copenhagen 369; BMC 98.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS  (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex.: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

Your Macrinus bronze with quadriga is breathtaking 😲!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
16 hours ago, DANTE said:

The protruding aegis' snake on the cuirass is something I haven't seen before. Great acquisition. Congratulations!

And those are really two completely different pictures. Better detail on the HJB, but very busy. The Roma is more pleasing to the eye, but lacks depth. I hope in hand the coin combines the best of both worlds.

Thank you. I think the video of the coin, which you can see at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100313?fromBbs=220th Buy Or Bid Sale , probably gives the best idea of what it looks like, especially when it's turned to catch the light -- although it still doesn't really capture the fact that it does have a dark green tone to it. Certainly the HJB photo is more accurate than the Roma photo in terms of the color. I wonder if the person who bought the coin at the Roma auction in Oct. 2020 sold it within 1 1/2 years because they were disappointed at how different from Roma's photo the coin looked in hand.

• Like 3

I just had a peek. Looks lovely, and I can make out some deep green patina. I really believe you ended up with the best of both worlds! As for pictures, I always try to factor in the photography-style of the different auction houses when I browse or bid. Which doesn't mean I'm not in for surprises every now and then. For better or worse

On a different note: I read your mail in groups.io about the almost twin ushabti's. It got me slightly worried since I recently bought a cylinder seal from the V-coin seller in question. I accept that I know too little about antiquities to make a  judgement on authenticity, so I try to be very careful from who I buy. V-coins felt safe. So I'm holding my breath on the outcome...(insert nailbiting emoji's...), Although it wouldn't surprise me if he had several items from one and the same tomb...

• Like 1

Phenomenal coin @DonnaML, congrats!!  Both sides are awesome.  That aegis is amazing!

Here's a coin I bought for the interesting armour, Marcianopolis rather than Nicopolis, and for Commodus:

image.thumb.jpeg.c80cc69e3b84e927e2cb866d7fdf3b6a.jpeg

That's Athena on the breastplate.  (Coin is a decent size too, 26mm and 9.42g.)

I think it's shameful how inaccurate many auction houses' photos of AEs are.  I think they just cycle them through trying to make them look nice without even comparing the final photo to the coin itself!  Good on HJB for providing that video.

Here are a couple Macrinus, a denarius (terrible seller photo) and an As, the latter not so easy to come by:

image.thumb.jpeg.7976eaf921b3c48168504530b09ac8a9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8655e37f9f3f1208f1d394a597d38977.jpeg

• Like 9

Wow, Donna, that's an impressive coin!  I love the busy reverse (and the fact that you can still see the Victory decoration on the chariot) and of course Macrinus's aegis. 

That's a great Comomodus too, @Severus Alexander.  I only vaguely recall seeing it before, but it's terrific!

53436565_Macrinus-NicopolisAE27Haimos4175.thumb.JPG.45adb4b4d39a80403bdeaa66cdc353ab.JPG

MACRINUS
AE27. 12.0g, 26.9mm.
MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis, AD 217-218. Statius Longinus, legatus consularis. Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2018) 8.23.41.1 (R5); Varbanov 3428.
O: AVT K M OΠЄΛ CЄV MAKPЄINOC AV, laureate bust right.
R: VΠ CTA ΛONΓЄINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPΩ, the mountain-god Haimos seated left on rock, resting arm above head and holding spear; AIMO/C in left field; bear advancing right below.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zumbly said:

R: VΠ CTA ΛONΓЄINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPΩ, the mountain-god Haimos seated left on rock, resting arm above head and holding spear; AIMO/C in left field; bear advancing right below.

Best little bear ever!!  Do you call him Pooh? 🐻

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

Cool addition @DonnaML

I used to have three coins of his, one denarius and two provincials. The time coming to proceeding to choices, the denarius will soon be auctioned at CGB. Here are the two remaining provincials in my collection

a188853172f04d0d95b17f6b004412bf.jpg

Macrin (11/04/217-08/06/218) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Antioche, c. 217-218 AD
ΑΥT.Κ.Μ.ΟΠ.CΕ ΜΑΚΡΙΝΟC CΕΒ, Buste lauré et cuirassé à droite vu par l'avant, avec pan de draperie sur l'épaule gauche
.ΔHΜΑΡX:EΞ.YΠΑ.ΤΟ:, Aigle de face les ailes déployées, la tête à droite, tenant dans son bec une couronne. Entre ses serres la cuisse d'un animal de sacrifice. Δ | Ε dans le champ, de part et d'autre de la tête de l'aigle.

12.76 gr

Ref : Prieur # 246_055, McAlee # 721 (même coin d'avers), Sear #2948, 

Provenance : CGB monnaies XXIV/481 24/06/2005 ; CGB monnaies IV/264 26/06/1998

d42ec60c45da482e88cfb0e836c995ec.jpg

Macrinus, Bronze - struck at Nicopolis
AVT KM .... H MAKRINOC, Laureate and cuirassed bust of Macrinus right
V M AGRIPPA NIKOPOLITWNPROC IC TR, Tyche standing left, holding cornucopia and rudder
14.26 gr
Ref : ANMG #1710

Q

• Like 11

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll throw in my two bobs worth...and you guessed it Macrinus architecture.

2109933464_2015-01-0701_07.44-8.jpg.18e9e70a28060f959b3ec448c891db37.jpg

Macrinus and Diadumenian, Thrace, Marcianopolis, Triumphal arch with for statues. 25.46mm, 11.91, 217-218 AD, struck under governor Furius Pontianus
obv. AVT K OPEL CEV MAKREINOC KM OPEL ANTWNEINOC
confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, r., and Diadumenianus, bare-headed, l.
rev. VP PONTIAN - OV MARKIANO / POLEITW / N (OV ligate)
Triumphal arch with three doors, the door in the midth much higher, four figures
on postaments above. The outer two are Victories holding wreath in upraised
hand, the other two male figures, draped, the left holding up his r. hand, the
right one holding spear in his l. hand.
E in l. field (for pentassarion)
Varbanov (engl.) 1220
Hristova/Jekov (2013) No.6.24.46.2
Price/Trell p.51, fig. 85 var.

Macrinus. 217–218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR. Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (27mm, 12.39 gm, 6h). Obv: AV K OΠΠΕΛ CE—VH MAKPINOC, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: VP AΠ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΝΙΚΟΠΟ—ΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡ—OC ICTPΩ, closed city gate, two battlemented towers at front corners of city wall, one such tower in back wall. AMNG —. Like Varbanov 3345, but laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, seen from behind. A new variety.MacrinusNicopolisCityGate.jpg.e03cb4bfefc4e024c62fd9605100e8f5.jpg

Edited by Ancient Aussie
  • Like 9

@DonnaML - this is an amazing coin, with exceptional style and preservation for a provincial issue.

Mine is far inferior (but cheap!) :

image.png.8d21456ab1169e08acc19b54bf3683ad.png

Macrinus Æ 26mm of Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior. AD 217-218. Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate.

AY K OΠΠEΛ CEVH M[AKΡINOC], laureate and cuirassed bust to right, wearing aegis on shoulder

YΠ AΓPIΠΠA NIKOΠΟΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPΩ, Emperor in triumphal quadriga to right, led by soldier holding vexillum; in upper field, trophy with two seated captives at base.

H&J, Nikopolis 8.23.34.2; AMNG 1712; Varbanov 3405 var. (obv. legend). 11.77g, 26mm, 6h.

I was particularily attracred by the snake on the aegis - does anyone have other examples of this ?

• Like 6