Jump to content

Share your archaic coins please!


nikitov
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)

Two small coins before 500BC

normal_G_365_Ephesos.jpg.516d162f0be17b40225b616c8a006ccd.jpg

Ephesos (550-500 BC)
AR Hemiobol
Obv.: Bee
Rev.: Incuse square punch.
Ag, 0.44g, 7.20mm
Ref.: Rosen 572

 

normal_G_328_Kroisos.jpg.a9886e7ec6479452d55ab1798b2c8b01.jpg

Lydia, Kings of Lydia, Kroisos
circa 560-546 BC
Obv.: On the left, forepart of lion with open mouth to right confronting, on the right, forepart of bull to left.
Rev.: Incuse square
Ag, 7x8mm,0.87g
Ref.: Berk 26–7. Traité I 413. SNG Kayhan 1020-1. SNG Aulock 8213.

 

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 14
  • Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.3d8989aa803d5ee163a439ee60a22a82.jpeg

Troas Assos 500-450 BCE AR Tetartemorion 6.4mm 0,21g Griffin r Astragalos incuse Klein 475 Rare

 

1582982858_Kolchis5th-4thCBCEBIhemidrachm11_5mm1.8gArchaicfemaleheadpossiblyGeorgiangoddessDali-BullheadborderSNGCop98.JPG.c8a08a59f07397e21e115c1c885f3a2e.JPG

Kolchis 5th-4th C BCE BI hemidrachm  11.5mm 1.8g Archaic female head possibly Georgian goddess Dali - Bull head  border SNG Cop 98

 

1822804042_KebrenARObolArchaichdApolloLeft-HdRaminIncusesq5thCBCE7.65mm0.64gSNGAsh1086.JPG.0a361f3084e3c30a3a54108a78f06d7d.JPG

Kebren AR Obol Archaic hd Apollo Left  - Hd Ram in Incuse sq 5th C BCE 7.65mm 0.64g SNG Ash 1086 Ex: @Steve

 

 

image.jpeg.707bdde198105919cedb4ee8cc3aafd8.jpeg

Ionia Kolophon AR Tetartemorion 530-520 BCE Archaic Apollo Incuse Punch 0.15g 4.5mm- SNG Kayhan 343 Left old

 

1975425174_PersiaAchaemenidEmpireDariusI510-486BCAR0.11g5mm1-32ndSiglosPersianhero-kinginrunningincuseKlein758Rare.JPG.2938eed91a636c022b6591b4313dcd4b.JPG

Persia Achaemenid Empire Darius I 510-486 BC AR 0.11g 5mm 1-32nd Siglos Persian hero-king in running incuse Klein 758 R

 

 

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.d87117960384d3df4df57e561aab9dc5.jpeg

THRACO-MAKEDON TRIBES- MYGDONES or KRESTONES 480-470 BCE AR Obol 0.79g 11mm Goat Quadripartite incuse square AMNG III 14

 

669571698_MakedonAlexanderI498-454BCEARObol10mm0.75gHorse-QuadripartiteincusesqSNGANS32Rare.thumb.JPG.28a4cc4e5abda22e7d59a20b7c3ccc85.JPG

Makedon Alexander I 498-454 BCE AR Obol 10mm 0.75g Horse - Quadripartite incuse sq SNG ANS 32 Rare

 

706157083_ARGOLISArgos490-470BCARTriobol14mm2.9gForepartofwolflying-A2incusesqspelletcrossbarwithinshallowsqincuseBCDPeloponnesos1009RARE.JPG.8fc31b60871feac3ef07cecb4ac1882e.JPG

ARGOLIS Argos 490-470 BC AR Triobol 14mm 2.9g Forepart of wolf lying - A 2 incuse sqs pellet crossbar within shallow sq incuse BCD Peloponnesos 1009 RARE

 

470426404_IoniaARTetartemorion4mm0.13g530-500BCERosette-Incusesqpunch5pelletsSNGvonAulock1807.JPG.3fe0b0624c41f298da969aa53dc5a693.JPG

Ionia AR Tetartemorion 4mm 0.13g 530-500 BCE Rosette - Incuse sq punch 5 pellets SNG von Aulock 1807

 

 

image.jpeg.991cffbb538d06a6150f840727437a7b.jpeg

Ionia Klazomenai 480-400 BC AR Drachm Pentobol 3.5g 13mm Forepart  winged boar r gorgoneion incuse sq Cf SNG Copenhagen 12 Rare

 

 

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shanxi said:

Two small coins before 500BC

normal_G_365_Ephesos.jpg.516d162f0be17b40225b616c8a006ccd.jpg

Ephesos (550-500 BC)
AR Hemiobol
Obv.: Bee
Rev.: Incuse square punch.
Ag, 0.44g, 7.20mm
Ref.: Rosen 572

 

normal_G_328_Kroisos.jpg.a9886e7ec6479452d55ab1798b2c8b01.jpg

Lydia, Kings of Lydia, Kroisos
circa 560-546 BC
Obv.: On the left, forepart of lion with open mouth to right confronting, on the right, forepart of bull to left.
Rev.: Incuse square
Ag, 7x8mm,0.87g
Ref.: Berk 26–7. Traité I 413. SNG Kayhan 1020-1. SNG Aulock 8213.

 

I adore the Croesus coins! It's so weird to me that a semi-mythical figure is actually a real historical person 

1 hour ago, Alegandron said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3d8989aa803d5ee163a439ee60a22a82.jpeg

Troas Assos 500-450 BCE AR Tetartemorion 6.4mm 0,21g Griffin r Astragalos incuse Klein 475 Rare

 

1582982858_Kolchis5th-4thCBCEBIhemidrachm11_5mm1.8gArchaicfemaleheadpossiblyGeorgiangoddessDali-BullheadborderSNGCop98.JPG.c8a08a59f07397e21e115c1c885f3a2e.JPG

Kolchis 5th-4th C BCE BI hemidrachm  11.5mm 1.8g Archaic female head possibly Georgian goddess Dali - Bull head  border SNG Cop 98

 

1822804042_KebrenARObolArchaichdApolloLeft-HdRaminIncusesq5thCBCE7.65mm0.64gSNGAsh1086.JPG.0a361f3084e3c30a3a54108a78f06d7d.JPG

Kebren AR Obol Archaic hd Apollo Left  - Hd Ram in Incuse sq 5th C BCE 7.65mm 0.64g SNG Ash 1086

 

 

image.jpeg.707bdde198105919cedb4ee8cc3aafd8.jpeg

Ionia Kolophon AR Tetartemorion 530-520 BCE Archaic Apollo Incuse Punch 0.15g 4.5mm- SNG Kayhan 343 Left old

 

1975425174_PersiaAchaemenidEmpireDariusI510-486BCAR0.11g5mm1-32ndSiglosPersianhero-kinginrunningincuseKlein758Rare.JPG.2938eed91a636c022b6591b4313dcd4b.JPG

Persia Achaemenid Empire Darius I 510-486 BC AR 0.11g 5mm 1-32nd Siglos Persian hero-king in running incuse Klein 758 R

 

 

The Kebren obol is my favorite. I can't get enough of those Archaic portraits with almond eyes & elongated heads

1 hour ago, Alegandron said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d87117960384d3df4df57e561aab9dc5.jpeg

THRACO-MAKEDON TRIBES- MYGDONES or KRESTONES 480-470 BCE AR Obol 0.79g 11mm Goat Quadripartite incuse square AMNG III 14

 

669571698_MakedonAlexanderI498-454BCEARObol10mm0.75gHorse-QuadripartiteincusesqSNGANS32Rare.thumb.JPG.28a4cc4e5abda22e7d59a20b7c3ccc85.JPG

Makedon Alexander I 498-454 BCE AR Obol 10mm 0.75g Horse - Quadripartite incuse sq SNG ANS 32 Rare

 

706157083_ARGOLISArgos490-470BCARTriobol14mm2.9gForepartofwolflying-A2incusesqspelletcrossbarwithinshallowsqincuseBCDPeloponnesos1009RARE.JPG.8fc31b60871feac3ef07cecb4ac1882e.JPG

ARGOLIS Argos 490-470 BC AR Triobol 14mm 2.9g Forepart of wolf lying - A 2 incuse sqs pellet crossbar within shallow sq incuse BCD Peloponnesos 1009 RARE

 

470426404_IoniaARTetartemorion4mm0.13g530-500BCERosette-Incusesqpunch5pelletsSNGvonAulock1807.JPG.3fe0b0624c41f298da969aa53dc5a693.JPG

Ionia AR Tetartemorion 4mm 0.13g 530-500 BCE Rosette - Incuse sq punch 5 pellets SNG von Aulock 1807

 

 

image.jpeg.991cffbb538d06a6150f840727437a7b.jpeg

Ionia Klazomenai 480-400 BC AR Drachm Pentobol 3.5g 13mm Forepart  winged boar r gorgoneion incuse sq Cf SNG Copenhagen 12 Rare

 

 

Nice pentobol! The gorgon head is great. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Athens Ar Tetradrachm 500/490-485/480 BC, Obv Helmeted head of Athena right. Rv Owl standing right head facing Seltman Group Gi HGC 1590 17,09 grms 19 mm Photo by W. Hansen athens11.thumb.jpg.e556044c84096c055d04e3c5d9e0804e.jpgAccording to the most recent information available to me Athens commenced issuing the iconic "owl" coinage circa 525 BC, My coin exhibits a  number of interesting features that interest me however as I have thus far been unable to examine contemporary Athenian issues the question remains moot. Perhaps the most interesting feature is that my coin looks as if the metal needed to create the coin was folded over in order to create a thicker flan. This may indicate that this coin was at one time part of somebodies dinner set. It is an interesting question, one that I need to resolve. 

  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, there is something so very special about the archaics!  I wish I could afford beautiful great honking ones like @kapphnwn's amazing tet!

However I was pretty excited to receive this archaic "hemiobol" in the mail this week (7mm, 0.30g) :image.jpeg.30473056a91076db2ca432eae1a7c5a0.jpeg

The tiny unwreathed fractions from this early are generally all around 7mm but with a wide range of weights without much in the way of central tendencies... seems they were probably just used as bullion?  I think this one would fit Seltman group H or L, although Jasper Burns (The Early Coins of Athens) argues that the separation of unwreathed fractions into Seltman groups is impossible, and in fact doubts that any group H fractions were minted.  He would classify this coin as “AO-2”.  Still, the reversed organization on the reverse, non-standard berry + leaf (or 2 berries?), and nicely styled Athena would place this among the earlier fractions.  Maybe c. 500 BCE? Although if you're right, Terence, that the owls go back as far as 525 it could well be earlier... which I'd like.

There are very few left-facing unwreathed fractions on acsearch, all very expensive.  My winning bid: 65 EUR!! 🥳

Tail end of the archaic period, Mysia: Cyzicus (525-475 BCE) -

image.thumb.jpeg.3bd1e74688a6609e927bbe0417c0ac60.jpeg

 

I also like throwbacks to archaic style.  This Mytilene hekte c. 454-427 BCE pairs a classical style river god with an archaic style one:

image.thumb.jpeg.cca7d8b60f72a047cf34bc43f70aca47.jpeg

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like archaic coins, and have a few I've already shown in other threads, and kapphnwn beat me to showing an archaic Athens tetradrachm (very nice by the way), but I have something I haven't shown yet.

A drachm from Knidos in Caria in Asia Minor. c. 500 - 495 BC. Roaring lion on obverse and Aphrodite, wearing hair in a sakkos, within incuse square on the reverse. I think the image of Aphrodite is in very attractive, though obviously archaic style.

1732449732_KnidosDrachm.png.eeb3f1fe97ca566626d2321b5c3a4373.png

  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Di Nomos said:

and kapphnwn beat me to showing an archaic Athens tetradrachm

Believe me, we want to see yours too!!  And don't be shy about posting coins multiple times, especially beauties like yours. ☺️

What a fabulous Knidos Aphrodite!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

This is an old timer from the collection, acquired in 1992 from Harlan Berk.

Athens archaic owl ,520-490 BC, ex M&M #6 1946 664.

17.52 grams

1933363873_D-CameraAthensarchaicowltet520-490BCxMM6194666417.52gBerk922-7-21.thumb.jpg.a30d597613060795741e68d34df1c7e0.jpg

 

And one more, from my local coin dealer.

Athens  archaic owl circa 480 BC.

17.5 grams

730621821_D-CameraAthensarchaicowlc.480BC17.5gSal6-15-21.thumb.jpg.0558efab32d6f038d5f79a354d9b4b8d.jpg

 

  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

Believe me, we want to see yours too!!  And don't be shy about posting coins multiple times, especially beauties like yours. ☺️

What a fabulous Knidos Aphrodite!

Haha, ok Severus, you've talked me into it!

Here's my archaic Athens tetradrachm. This is the coin that actually set me on the path to having a smaller collection of higher quality coins. 

It's rare in so much as it is well centred and struck on quite a broad flan, with virtually complete design elements on obv. & rev. Has a few dings and marks, but very attractive for the type. The photo isn't the greatest,  but it's ok.

2022718066_AthensTetradrachm.png.b3974cfae53098a7271823155eb6d093.png

  • Like 12
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Man, those are great examples, coin-gang ... winners

Here are a few of my old coins (I will update the info after I get back from date-night)

Hi

 

 

Mysia, Kyzikos AR Hemiobol (below)

Date: 600-480 BC

Diameter: 6.51 mm

Weight: 0.23 grams

Obverse: Tunny fish right

Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square

References: 

Other: Some deposits

Ex-stevex6 … but now it’s a Doug Smith/Mentor coin

Mysia Kyzikos Tunny Fish.JPG

 

Lydia AR Siglos (below)
Date: 545-520 BC
Diameter: 15.6 mm
Weight: 4.9 grams
Obverse: Confronted lion and bull.
Reverse: Two incuse square punches

Ex-stevex6

liona.jpg

lionb.jpg

 

ISLANDS off THRACE, Thasos (below)

AR Sixteenth Stater – Hemiobol

Circa 500-480 BC

Diameter: 8 mm

Weight: 0.56 grams

Obverse: Two dolphins swimming in opposite directions; pellets around

Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square

Reference: Le Rider, Thasiennes 9; HGC 6, 337

Other: toned, light porosity

Ex-stevex6

Islands Off Thrace Thasos Hemiobol.jpg

 

Thasos, AR Archaic Stater. Satyr & Struggling Nymph (below)
Islands off Thrace, Thasos

c.525 - 463 BC

Diameter: 21.5 mm

Weight: 8.60 grams

Obverse: Satyr carrying off a struggling nymph, who raises her arm in protest

Reverse: Quadrapartite incuse square

Reference: SNG Cop 1010

Other: Nice metal with good facial detail. A classic archaic Greek type!

Ex-stevex6

nymph.jpg

 

Troas, Assos (below)

AR Obol? => Hemiobol? => Tetartemorion?

Date: 500-450 BC

Diameter: 6.92 mm

Weight: 0.23 grams

Obverse: Griffin

Reverse: Head of lion

Reference:

Other: Awesome

Ex-stevex6

Troas Assos AR Obol Griffin & Lion.JPG

 

IONIA, Ephesos,  AR Tetartemorion (below)

Circa 500-420 BC

Diameter: 5 x 8 mm

Weight: 0.17 grams

Obverse: Bee

Reverse: Head of eagle right within incuse square

Reference: Karwiese Series IV; SNG Kayhan 126–34

Other: 12h … toned, Exceptional for issue

Ex-stevex6

Ionia Ephesos Tetartemorion.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

This one is at the tail end of the archaic period. I really like the style of both Apollo and Lion head.

image.png.687fb463e6395152c0d77279fdac7c8f.png

Sicily, Leontini

AR Tetradrachm, 450-430 BC, 17.18g

Obverse: Fine archaic style laureate head of Apollo right.

Reverse: Lion head right surrounded by four barley corns, LEONTININ around.

References: SNG ANS 247.

Ex: ECIN, 1/11/2013, Winter FUN Show

John

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...