Anyone else experiencing shipping delays from the UK?

ValiantKnight

I’ve heard about a postal workers’ strike going on there recently as well as reading that the country’s postal service was hit by a cyber attack. It’s been about a month since my coin order from there and the tracking still says that the local post office there received the package but it looks like it still hasn’t been dispatched to the US (where I live). Anyone who’s recently bought from the UK been experiencing this as well?

Edited by ValiantKnight

I'm in the UK, so I don't know, but there haven't been any postal strikes since before Christmas. Those will not be affecting deliveries.

The cyber attack stopped all international shipments sent through the regular post for about 2 weeks from 10 January. There must be quite a backlog too.

While there were no postal strikes, there were rail strikes on 3-7 January. There haven't been any since, but if your coin was sent on 3 January (the first working day of the year) and needed to use a train, it might've been sitting around until 8 or 9 January. And 8 January was a Sunday, when services are reduced anyway. It then only had 1 day before the cyber attack. So it might still be where it started.

Edited by John Conduitt

18 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I'm in the UK, so I don't know, but there haven't been any postal strikes since before Christmas. Those will not be affecting deliveries.

The cyber attack stopped all international shipments sent through the regular post for about 2 weeks from 10 January. There must be quite a backlog too.

While there were no postal strikes, there were rail strikes on 3-7 January. There haven't been any since, but if your coin was sent on 3 January (the first working day of the year) and needed to use a train, it might've been sitting around until 8 or 9 January. And 8 January was a Sunday, when services are reduced anyway. It then only had 1 day before the cyber attack. So it might still be where it started.

My coin was dropped off at the local PO on January 9, so I guess it got stuck behind all of that backlog.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Roma shipping is awesomely fast, but it's DHL private delivery - not UK postal system

For most buyers it’s true; but for poor guys like me, I always ask Roma for the Royal Mail shipping to avoid astronomical taxes and customs fees. It took 14 days from London to Montreal for my coins to arrive at the last Roma auction.

17 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Yes, Roma shipping is awesomely fast, but it's DHL private delivery - not UK postal system.

Yes.... there is a different with "German Post DHL" and "DHL Express". 

Correctly this are 3 companys. 

German Post (Deutsche Post)
DHL
DHL Express

German Post for the normal letter business cooperate with DHL Parcels. DHL Parcel has the focus at private Parcel Shippings.
And DHL Express is an extra company for focus at business Shipping. 

For a long time ago all 3 companys are 1 company. but they will split.

11 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Yep my secret Saturnalia still hasn't arrived!....My family are in the UK and are still receiving Christmas cards sent from within the UK!

In Germany, things are not much better at present. The week before last, Deutsche Post / DHL went on strike, and it was supposed to be over for now. This week, however, there was another strike in many important federal states and there is no end in sight to the industrial action.

Even before the strike, Deutsche Post was in chaos due to staff shortages. The strike has now intensified the chaos. We often only get letters and parcels once a week.

• Cool Think 1

Oh no!  Does that mean that Savoca is also messed up?

Hmm, they're FedEx and not DHL Express.  So maybe there's hope?

German post was already incredibly slow (my mom also independently made the same remark about letters).

That would really be a bummer.  I'm already down one favorite, LAC.

I guess my Sasanian collection (via Zurqieh) will be beefed up if the European postal foulups continue.

I ordered quite regularly from LAC.  Regular mail would take around two weeks, under good conditions. I used the DHL Express only once.  Very fast, but one has to remember to give a phone #.  It's 10/10 stupid, but they require a phone number (for DHL).  No one else I've tried does.  My spring order was delayed beause of that.  I have a spam filter set up for their main account (or else you'll get 10 billion notifications of new coins and auctions), so I missed the notification/request.  DHL didn't actually use it, so it could be any number, really.  $38 shipping makes little sense for sub-$300 orders so I always use the post.

9 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

I'm waiting on only one coin (until a bevy of auctions next weekend) -- a Roman provincial from Tom Vossen and the German post is taking forever to leave Frankfurt.

Same here with one coin .... it's been at 'Origin Post preparing shipment' from Frankfurt for over a week. I wondered what was going on!

In the meantime Netherlands Post was fast - just under a week!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

I'm waiting on only one coin (until a bevy of auctions next weekend) -- a Roman provincial from Tom Vossen and the German post is taking forever to leave Frankfurt.

As I said… that’s actually normal after the striking of the German post. Million of letters and parcels waiting now in the post storages for processing after the strike…

• Gasp 1

• 5 weeks later...

Still waiting on aforementioned coin package from the UK. Planning on contacting the seller in about two weeks (exactly two months after the shipping date) if it hasn’t arrived by then. Anyone else still waiting on anything from the UK at this point? Or have things been moving smoothly by now and I just happen to have fallen into bad luck with my coin?

44 minutes ago, ValiantKnight said:

Still waiting on aforementioned coin package from the UK. Planning on contacting the seller in about two weeks (exactly two months after the shipping date) if it hasn’t arrived by then. Anyone else still waiting on anything from the UK at this point? Or have things been moving smoothly by now and I just happen to have fallen into bad luck with my coin?

Yes, but not via Royal Mail, which I assume is the issue?

• Benefactor

Royal Mail is delayed due to a crippling cyber-attack. This was per one of the dealers from whom I'd ordered a coin.

I currently have two coins en route via them from separate shippers. I don't anticipate seeing them anytime soon, but they'll eventually make it here.

• Shock 1