Faustina sestertius - my first and a good start

ambr0zie

Ladies and gentlemen, today is a special edition of Faustina Friday, after the initial show, hosted, as usually, by @Roman Collector, we have the second one, where I present my first Faustina sestertius. 
One of first ladies appearing on Roman coins that are truly affordable, as any collector can easily get a coin with her portrait without breaking the bank. If getting a Sabina is also easy (ish), the previous ladies appearing on imperial coins are very tough. 

I noticed an auction a few weeks ago - I wasn't very eager to participate, but I said why not. I had a very modest budget allocated for it so I knew in the best case scenario I would get 2 coins. Ended with this one and it finally arrived, after a loooooong time because it appears the post delivered it on foot. 

image.png.9e32f8550c0ab0c80a9b29defeb1fc51.png

DIVA FAUSTINA I, Died 140/1 AD. AE, Sestertius. Rome. 26.39 g. 32.15 mm.

AD 155-161. DIVA FAVSTINA, bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved and coiled in bands across head and drawn up at back and piled in a round coil on top / AETERNITAS SC, Aeternitas standing left, holding phoenix on globe and lifting fold of skirt. RIC III Antoninus Pius 1105a; BMC 1490; RCV 4607; Cohen 12

Although this doesn't fulfill my collecting strategies (I prefer the reverses to be as dynamic and original/unique as possible) I liked the portrait very much. And I was hoping for this color - I find it spectacular. Sometimes I "guess" how the coin really looks based on the original pics from the house. My picture is much closer to the reality AND I like the coin more than I expected. Original picture:

image.png.10d88a04372feb3425742e95c51159bb.png

A great write-up about these issues was provided by @Roman Collector here

Not much to be added. 

I find very interesting that this type of Sestertius has a very large number of dies. I checked and found a lot of different dies (some not showing the globe; the phoenix sits directly on the hand). But could not find a die match, showing the phoenix standing with the head turned left (I think?!) and touching the R in the legend exactly under it. 

Let's see Faustina I sestertii, or coins with green toning, or whatever you think it fits. 

Edited by ambr0zie
better picture
  • Like 21
  • Clap 1

@ambr0zie

That's a lovely looking coin!..Really sweet greeeeeen patina! I don't know if you feel the same but I find the sestertius denomination one of the nicest feel coins in hand and can become quite addictive?

Here's my first Faustina I Sestertius, nowhere near as nicely detailed as the op. I Picked this one up cheaply due to wear but I do like its red/brown patina...

958606786_fau_sestertius(1).jpg.b716c178557c242402dd3dd29dabe3b4.jpg

Diva Faustina Senior. Æ Sestertius (32mm, 21.19 g.)
Rome mint, struck under Antoninus Pius, circa AD 146-161.
Obv. DIVA FAVSTINA draped bust right.
Rev. AETERNITAS S-C seated left, holding scepter and globe surmounted by phoenix....RICIII #1103 (Antoninus Pius)
Reddish-brown patina.

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

but I find the sestertius denomination one of the nicest feel coins in hand and can become quite addictive?

Absolutely. With a plus for empresses portraits (at least for me). I only have 13 sestertii including the Faustina coin. 4 of them having portraits of empresses (Faustina, Julia Domna, Julia Mamaea and Lucilla). I intend to get more.

The first problem with sestertii is of course, the price for better examples. I had no idea what would be the hammer price for the Faustina sestertius I got. Of course, the coin is common so I wasn't expecting a dramatic bidding war, but the hammer price was below my optimistic expectations. 

The second issue is (and confirmed by experienced collectors) that many sestertii, especially 1st-2nd centuries, are tooled. A subject I am not skilled on, when the tooling is "good". This is why I specifically requested an opinion from @Roman Collector, who confirmed there's nothing wrong with this one. 

• Like 4

Yes there is definitely something about sestertii. Despite all the issues one faces when trying to collect these coins there is something wonderful about looking at an ancient coin of that size and marveling at the skill of the ancient celator's

Faustina I Maior Ae Sestertius 139 AD  Obv Bust right draped. Rv Juno standing left holding patera and scepter, RIC 1077 24.80 grms 30 mm Photo by W. Hansenfaussnrs2.jpg.c83eb89df562d895ce57cd2a9eb2cac0.jpg

This is one of the scarcer lifetime issues of Faustina. She does have one of the largest posthumous coinages. 

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

I do find it strange that such a beautiful well loved, by the populace as well as the Emperor, lady 'died' with no reference as to of what?....I've searched a great deal and have never yet found any foundings on what might have taken her...?

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

I do find it strange that such a beautiful well loved, by the populace as well as the Emperor, lady 'died' with no reference as to of what?....I've searched a great deal and have never yet found any foundings on what might have taken her...?

Am I missing something?

We have very poor primary historical sources for the Antonine period. This, combined with limited medical knowledge of the ancient world, means we have no idea what she died of at age 40.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I suppose at 40 it could have been childbirth related, or breast cancer. I guess we will never know.

Yes an area I'd thought might have had an impact...They were very much in love and childless!.....The death rate from childbirth or related causes was certainly very high.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Antoninus Pius and Faustina had four children, including Faustina II. 

Doh!.....Yes apologies was out with friends here's my A.P. Sestertius showing them..

171855819_normal_1-Pq3EL2XdbJ9QF5pkPxE6f89ZTY4gn7(3).jpg.c8a855d944b1918e63dcd7efa75de05b.jpg

ANTONINUS PIUS. 138-161 AD. Æ Sestertius (33mm, 26.75 g.)
Struck 159/160 AD.
Obverse..ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXIII, laureate head right
Rev. PIETATI AVG COS IIII SC, Pietas standing left holding globe, Faustina Junior as Pietas standing left, between Faustina Minima, Lucilla & holding baby Fadilla.
RIC III 1031

• Like 5