Almost like what completing a collection might be like, if anyone ever manages that

akeady

It's slightly easier to complete a collection of reference works on coins than the coins themselves - at least, if one sets strict limits to the extent of the collection.

And, within such limitations I completed two sets last weekend!   At least until new volumes appear, but for now I'm claiming victory.

My first coin book purchases of 2023 were RIC V part II and HGC vol. 12, so I now have all current RIC volumes and all the published HGC volumes.   There are gaps in the HGC series, so more books are coming and RIC II part 2 is due sometime and I believe other RIC volumes are being worked on.

20230120_041246.jpg.80f8533b209d2a7855b1d952f82932e4.jpg

I now need to move things around to find place on the shelves for these with their colleagues.

20230120_041325.jpg.e90541cddefb932df2304dce5ff499c9.jpg20230120_041348.jpg.96477b6edebfb05b600977745cd1ba22.jpg

HGC 12 isn't difficult to find, but I have only one Bactrian coin, so didn't see the need for it until I saw it for sale on Sunday, so picked it up!   RIC V has been out of print for quite a long time AFAIK and I think the last RIC volume I got was V part I, so I snapped this up when I saw it as well.

Has anyone else picked up any interesting books so far in 2023?

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 17
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

• akeady changed the title to Almost like what completing a collection might be like, if anyone ever manages that

Carolingian Coinage and the Vikings: Studies on Power and Trade in the 9th Century (Variorum Collected Studies)

Coupland, Simon

i have ordered the above book, and it is en route.  I think it has information about attributing coins of Charles the Bald which lack explicit information on their mint of origin, to their most likely source.  After I have a chance to study it, I will write a review for the Carolingian books and coins thread.  

• Like 4

Here is my score, 2022 though, not 2023. A bit of everything. 

The RIC book is the old volume II, of 1968. I mostly use OCRE to find RIC numbers, but it's an enjoyment to have the book in hand as well. Unfortunately due to the RIC revision, its an issue to match the old RIC number with the new RIC number. I'm not quite sure what to do with the new RIC volumes, if I want to add those to my small library or not. Im on the hunt for the older vol III, with AP - Commodus, and Vol IV which covers the Severan dynasty. But I haven't seen those for sale individually, but only as part of the entire collection of RIC volumes which costs hundreds of euro's... 

IMG_20230122_110906.jpg.804254dd98ee04322d68378c913262c0.jpg

Edited by Limes
  • Like 8

Since I'm a relatively recent newcomer to the subject of ancients, I'm glad to see some of the books I decided to pick up on the shelves of others. I first went crazy with Byzantine coins and I'm sensing that I may move backwards into Roman and Greek. The Spink books date back to the 1980s, but they seem to have a decent amount of introductory material in them. I certainly learned a lot from them. I'm not ready for the RIC series at this point. I may have to buy more bookshelves to start down that path.

Books.png.9af16d9b7ea71cfe0d1ca667d11f3534.png

• Like 7

This thread (or something  like it if it is not  its main intent) is great to show books in case anyone else on the forum needs a reference too. 

For example, this new  book  is hard to get but is  fantastic in the somewhat obscure world  of less famous  Syracusean silver  coinage. Drachms and other coins  of less silver weight (and often  far less money  but still lovely) that the tets. They are  hard to research though despite some having designs from the leading artists of the day.

Either way, I hope it fits the original question of  interesting - beauty in the eye of the beholder etc! - new books  picked  up  in 2023

wefw.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ewomack said:

Since I'm a relatively recent newcomer to the subject of ancients, I'm glad to see some of the books I decided to pick up on the shelves of others. I first went crazy with Byzantine coins and I'm sensing that I may move backwards into Roman and Greek. The Spink books date back to the 1980s, but they seem to have a decent amount of introductory material in them. I certainly learned a lot from them. I'm not ready for the RIC series at this point. I may have to buy more bookshelves to start down that path.

Books.png.9af16d9b7ea71cfe0d1ca667d11f3534.png

I don't have the Wayne Sayles book, but the others, yes.   I have one of Wayne's other books and it's great, so I presume this is also good.   In fact, he has a sale at the moment on his Vcoins shop, but doesn't post outside the US, so no good to me! "Coinage in the X World" books are excellent and Sear's Byzantine book is a fairly complete catalogue of Byzantine coins.   I've yet to do mich with the ID book, though I have a few Byz coins to attribute, so might give it a whirl.

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 2