The First Charles III coin I have seen...

Hughie Dwyer

• Benefactor

Very nice! I ordered the £5 and 50p silver proof coins from the Royal Mint three months ago, on 6 October, but there's no sign of them yet. The Mint did say at the outset that orders will take up to 16 weeks to fill -- and sent another email in December stating that things have been unusually busy -- so I'm not expecting to receive anything for a while!

• Like 2

It's ironic being a coin collector that I don't use coins or cash in my transactions very much, even I haven't come across any 2022 coins yet! let's see if I get the last of Elizabeth's coins or the first of her son's.

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Very nice! I ordered the £5 and 50p silver proof coins from the Royal Mint three months ago, on 6 October, but there's no sign of them yet. The Mint did say at the outset that orders will take up to 16 weeks to fill -- and sent another email in December stating that things have been unusually busy -- so I'm not expecting to receive anything for a while!

oh the postal's been on strike...my friend Corrine just got her Christmas gift today so....but it's back working again from what i understand...:)

• Thanks 1

My nephew returned from study abroad in Redding just before Christmas and he said he didn't see a single Charles III coin while there. He must have just missed them. He did see quite a lot, though, since he first arrived three days before the Queen passed away.

• Like 1

I believe the Charles III 50 pence pieces were entering circulation in December through the post offices.  I ordered one from a Brit on eBay as I didn’t want to wait :).  It was about $3.00, a decent markup on a circulating coin but inexpensive enough.

• Like 2

I would have probably bought one soon anyway so that makes it even better. 

Also, since finding it, I have asked some of my friends if they had seen any but none had. From what I believe, they only began minting them late last year. I also have just googled the subject and have found that Charles III 50ps have been fully released to all UK post offices since mid-December - although I haven't noticed this...

Edited by Hughie Dwyer

20 hours ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

I also have just googled the subject and have found that Charles III 50ps have been fully released to all UK post offices since mid-December - although I haven't noticed this...

Yeah, but how much have the Royal Mail been open for business, what with their rolling days off in the guise of a strike?

• Smile 1

On 1/13/2023 at 5:09 PM, UkrainiiVityaz said:

Yeah, but how much have the Royal Mail been open for business, what with their rolling days off in the guise of a strike?

The Post Offices and the Royal Mail are separate companies. The Royal Mail is the delivery company, which has been on strike. The Post Office  is a nationwide network of branches offering a range of postal, Government and financial services. The Post Offices have remained open for business. They are quite happy to sell you the stamps / service despite the fact that the Royal Mail strike means that the service being sold cannot be met due to the strikes. It gave them the chance to up-sell to tracked and signed for services on the basis that when Royal Mail came back online that these services would be prioritised in catching up on the backlog. My personal record during this period was a letter sent "First Class" which "Aims to deliver the next working day including Saturdays" was finally delivered 7 weeks after it was posted. I am still receiving mail that was posted in early December.

• Shock 2

On 1/16/2023 at 5:21 AM, maridvnvm said:

The Post Offices and the Royal Mail are separate companies. The Royal Mail is the delivery company, which has been on strike. The Post Office  is a nationwide network of branches offering a range of postal, Government and financial services. The Post Offices have remained open for business. They are quite happy to sell you the stamps / service despite the fact that the Royal Mail strike means that the service being sold cannot be met due to the strikes. It gave them the chance to up-sell to tracked and signed for services on the basis that when Royal Mail came back online that these services would be prioritised in catching up on the backlog. My personal record during this period was a letter sent "First Class" which "Aims to deliver the next working day including Saturdays" was finally delivered 7 weeks after it was posted. I am still receiving mail that was posted in early December.

And Royal Mail was hacked by some Russian ransom farm and they are holding data on international shipments since November apparently which has now shut down all international parcel delivery out of the UK.  Back in December I sent £300 to a seller for an item which they then posted - but with the hack the tracking is lost and Royal Mail has no idea where the parcel is.  I am hoping to get the refund of the £300 soon.  Royal Mail was on strike when I was in Belfast, which was a pain because at that time I trusted them more than I trust anPost - the Irish postal service which is mediocre at best.

Edited by UkrainiiVityaz
  • Cry 1
  • Shock 1