A 'fleet' coin of Mark Antony

zadie

As someone who takes a keen interest in provincials from the Republican era, fleet coins have been on my radar for a good while. However seeing as they're very rare and often wallet-breakingly expensive, I haven't been able to add one to the collection. When I came across this example in a group lot (!) I knew I had to change that. It's not the prettiest but damn if I'm not excited to start a fleet coinage set. Hopeful for new acquisitions in 2023!

Fleet Coinage. Mark Antony and Octavia. Æ Dupondius. Uncertain mint in Achaea circa 38-37 BC. M. Oppius Capito, Propraetor and Praefectus Classis. Confronting busts of Antony and Octavia, [M · ANT · IMP · TER · COS · DES · ITER · ET · TER · III · VIR · R · P · C] / Two galleys below caps of the dioscuri, [M · OPPIVS · CAPITO · PRO · PR · PRAEF · CLASS · F · C] - B below. Amandry, Bronze II, 3C; RPC I, 1464.

• Like 15
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great addition!  Congratulations! 

These are very rare.  I came across one many years ago on ebay listed simply as an "ancient coin."  I recognized it and immediately purchased it.  I've since sold it but see my write up below.

Antony_Fleet_galley.jpg.0271f558e0332777e1a0ab806558fbec.jpg

Marcus Antonius Fleet coinage (Light Series)

M ANT IMP TERT COS DESIG ITER ET TERT III VIR RPC
Conjoined heads of Marcus Antonius and Octavia right

M OPPIVS CAPITO PRO PR PRAEF CLASS FC
Galley under sail right

Tarentum (?) summer 37 BC
4.13g

Sear 1497, RPC 1470, CRI 296,

Very rare in any condition

The legendary Fleet coinage of Antony belongs to two series, heavy and light. The "light series" is thought to have been minted at a later date, possibly just after Antony returned from his conference with Octavian in 37 BC. The meeting saw the Pact of Tarentum. Part of that agreement saw Antony loan 120 ships to Octavian along with his Admirals Altratinus and Capito.

A fine insight into Antony's administrative abilities can be seen by his fleet coinage that came in sestertius, dupondius and as denominations. Of note is that Antony's "Fleet Coinage" shows the appearance of the first sestertius in bronze rather than silver. When Octavian (Augustus) reformed the coinage 20 years later he maintained the exact same denominations; sestertius, dupondius and as. After Actium Octavian also kept many if not all of the client Kings in their positions and territories. A strong case for Antony's capabilities as an administrator.

M. Oppius Capito occupied an important position in Antony's inner circle although little is known of him. Capito's coins are more abundant than those of his colleagues and only Capito's coins include the title "Praefectus classis" (Prefect of the fleet). Most of his coins are found in Greece and were probably minted in Piraeus, the harbor complex of Athens. Athens at this time was the home of Antony and Octavia so it is likely that Capito's mint would be located here.

• Like 15

On 12/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, zadie said:

As someone who takes a keen interest in provincials from the Republican era, fleet coins have been on my radar for a good while. However seeing as they're very rare and often wallet-breakingly expensive, I haven't been able to add one to the collection. When I came across this example in a group lot (!) I knew I had to change that. It's not the prettiest but damn if I'm not excited to start a fleet coinage set. Hopeful for new acquisitions in 2023!

Fleet Coinage. Mark Antony and Octavia. Æ Dupondius. Uncertain mint in Achaea circa 38-37 BC. M. Oppius Capito, Propraetor and Praefectus Classis. Confronting busts of Antony and Octavia, [M · ANT · IMP · TER · COS · DES · ITER · ET · TER · III · VIR · R · P · C] / Two galleys below caps of the dioscuri, [M · OPPIVS · CAPITO · PRO · PR · PRAEF · CLASS · F · C] - B below. Amandry, Bronze II, 3C; RPC I, 1464.

Excellent acquisition, despite the quality! I would love to add a specimen from the fleet coinage of any quality to my collection one day....

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

I have made an attempt of finding my dies in Amandry's Le monnayage en bronze de Bibulus, Atratinus et Capito. It's proven difficult considering the amount of wear on my coin and the lack of all legends besides the "B" below the galley. I think I've found a match to my reverse die, there are still however some discrepancies between the two (namely the caps of the dioscuri) that are hard to account for. Lighting could definitely be a factor but I hesitate to attribute them as such becuase of my obvious confirmation bias. Any input on this?

My coin

Untitled-3.png.4231c4dc808cd27ee457ea3088ba5e4c.png

Amandry, Bronze II, 3C (D3/R7, this coin)

image.png.2df0115e6a9f29ed20b7c5cc9e0c6faf.png

Comparison between both reverse dies with better lighting

image.png

image.png

• Like 7
  • Cool Think 1

I've got a couple of Fleet coinage coins.

This light series one is of the same type as Jay GT4's above of M. Oppius Capito:

image.png.67e6a773b84ceae654587ee2937bb07e.png

And this tressis with a MAP punch (HCRI 286, BMCRR East 164, Sydenham 1268):spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

I dont think the coins are really in a state to verify a die match…as often is the case with late Byzantine 

I certainly think it's possible. The biggest issue isn't so much with the states of the coins themselves but rather the (quite horrid) photography employed on these old plates. Amandry routinely identifies die matches between coins that are of similar wear as mine:

image.png.3a89ab9b99c84deb8824cf46f9d1e42e.png

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, akeady said:

I've got a couple of Fleet coinage coins.

This light series one is of the same type as Jay GT4's above of M. Oppius Capito:

image.png.67e6a773b84ceae654587ee2937bb07e.png

And this tressis with a MAP punch (HCRI 286, BMCRR East 164, Sydenham 1268):spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

No kidding! The Tressis is charming, I'm extremely jealous. The As is also great, good amount of the legends still legible