real or fake?

madhatter

5 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

..lQQks like maybe a touch of phony desert patina on a legit coin to me...:D

If so, he accidentally poured the whole bottle on . 😂

.is this coin for sale from a seller who has either an A or a Z in their name?....

It's AC&B on UK eBay. They are a good dealer with weekly auctions (and then long breaks). I've bought from them before and I've only saw them sell real coins.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steppenfool said:

If so, he accidentally poured the whole bottle on . 😂

It's AC&B on UK eBay. They are a good dealer with weekly auctions (and then long breaks). I've bought from them before and I've only saw them sell real coins.

..haha..well, yeah, the coin looks legit and (could) be real desert patina too...i give it a 'real' vote! 😄

My thougths on subject:

For some time Im trying to find a descent example of Fausta, priced according my budget, for my one per ruler ( + wifes, sons, daughters, cousins, usurpers and other relatives) collection. Its not my top priority, but still I would like to have one. And finally,few days ago, I become very happy to see, that seller I bought from, listed that beauty. Immediately decided that it will be the goal for next week ( how cool is that feeling huh?). So I started to track how the price moves: I usually do not pre-bid, but as many, waiting untill the very last moment to hit. Next day, at work, I finaly decided - man, im gonna get that, no matter what! These were happy 10 minutes - imaginin how other members of my little Constantinian dinasty, will be together with their wife, mother, and the b**ch, because of who,  Crispus got executed.

But, sometimes, all good comes to an end. I remembered reading, in some forum, 2-3 years ago, about Helena and Fausta forgeries. Major discussion was about some veeery good made fakes, with Fausta obverse, and Helena (Securitas) reverses.... I checked the ofered coin one more time, and the entusiasm about gettin it disappeared in 2 seconds.

All this made me do a little research - maybe they realy exist - some magical hybrid between Helena and Fausta? Fingers crossed... But no....unfortunately, after reading couple of other discusion, most of them came to conclusion, that the hybrid, is actually forgery. Such a disappointment.

Couple of photos of others of the type:

image.jpeg.eab711fd94703b66cfe8afc1fb7d50d1.jpeg

image.jpeg.4e4d9fe261977da66e40dfcca0333c31.jpeg

Well, I must admit, that Im not 100% sure its a forgery. Beside the lot of (fake?) desert patina, it is a pretty convincing piece. But the major rule I follow, when buying coins - If you doubt it - leave it. Maybe, thats the reason i do not own any Sponsians haha!

Edited by madhatter
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Shock 2
  • Mind blown 1

@madhatter

Well researched, those dies are way too close for comfort for me, I'd say identical. Goes to show you should trust no-one, even those you trust. Deceptive enough to fool Kunker and someone with a £250 war chest! I see it's already up to £16 which is quite rare for those AC&B auctions as they usually shoot up in the final hour.

Maybe it is worth contacting the dealer? 

A previous thread with some good insight into how deceptive they are. I actually remember reading this thread previously but had in my head they were all SPES types. I think it was because that was my Fausta reverse target.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fausta-and-helena-antioch-nicomedia-forgeries.318092/

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 1