I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Posted (edited)

Well put, @AncientOne.  Your succinctness brilliantly matches the profundity of your point.  ...Yes, it takes getting into this stuff in as much depth as you can manage;  it's no use, for instance, fighting arbitrarily divisive stereotypes with no less superficial generalities.

Just for one easy instance from here, over the 1950s, well into the '70s (high school), my mom was getting lps ranging from Mahalia Jackson, Ella and Billie Holiday, to a Brilliant compendium of earlier Mountain Banjo tunes.  Yes, predating the more commercial development of 'Bluegrass' per se.  Sadly, I can't find anything from the album on YouTube; only this.   https://www.melbay.com/Products/96711M/the-art-of-the-mountain-banjo.aspx  But Rosenbaum's liner notes made a point of emphasizing the ongoing Black presence, never mind influence, in the banjo literature, back into the 19th century.  (Right, the banjo was likely adapted from more than one West and/or Central African prototype.)

So here's the best I could do for a coin.

image.jpeg.49a3378c8a0f91990746595b8c89f24a.jpeg

Kingdom of Aragon (and Navarre).  Sancho Ramirez, 1063-1094.  AR diner (Catalan) /dinero (Spanish) of Jaca (‘moneta iaccensis’ or ‘jaqueses’), Group II /’elegant’ B; c. 1076-1088.

Obv.  Sancho facing left; (from 10 o’clock:) SAN [annulet] CIVS REX.Rev.  Long cross on flowered base (often characterized as a 'tree of life,' but also evoking floriate motifs on contemporaneous Andalusian and other Islamic coins).  In field: ARA [/] GON, ‘A’ and ‘R’ ligated.

Crusafont, ME v. IV, #202; MEC v. 6, Pl. 4, #47 and pp. 101-3 (commentary).  See O’Callaghan (Reconquest p. 152) for the localized, Latin and Catalan names of the denomination.  

'Tree; Grove.'  That's all you get.  Then there's this, a Brilliant post-Rosenbaum reading of the tune, in the same tempo.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)

Today marks the Birthday of my Wife´s Great, Great Grandfather. When he built a house in the late 1800´s, in Norway, he always said that he buried two small denomination coins in the kitchen wall to mark the year and a half it took to build. Moving forward in time, a few years back one of her cousins who now owns the house, decided to extend the rear of the property. When he demolished the rear wall he found the coins in a metal tin. He sent them to me as I inherited the collection of her Father a few years back, being the only person to show any interest in his vast collection of World and American coinage. Was looking at them today and old yellowing images of her distant relatives. Anyway, enough preamble, here are the coins

20210815_194516__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.ea501c7afd693dad99a0dabfd4ab2e5c.pngA20210815_194333__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.e66a13d085d979441d0275032eee4ea8.png

And an apt tune for the occasion

Edited by expat
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

How about some Adele? This song is now old enough to qualify, I think. 

Adele's coiffure somewhat resembles Aelia Flaccilla's, I think.

OIP.dYqaSMZCteE-0e7G2I7-QwHaKK?w=1354&h=1858&rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain

[IMG]
Aelia Flaccilla, 379-386 CE.
Roman AE Maiorina (AE 2), 4.78 gm, 21.55 mm, 6 h.
Antioch, 383-386 CE.
Obv: AEL FLACCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory seated r., inscribing chi-rho onto shield set on cippus. T in field r, ANTЄ in exergue.
Refs: RIC 61.3; Sear 20616; Cohen 4; c.f. LRBC II 2747.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

Charlie Colin, the bassist for Train, has died at age 58 from injuries he sustained when slipping in the shower. 

Here's a coin with Jupiter in his memory.

[IMG]
Gordian III, 238-244 CE.
Roman AR antoninianus, 3.62 g, 21.6 mm, 5 h.
Rome mint, 2nd officina, 3rd emission, 241-243 CE.
Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head right, holding scepter and thunderbolt.
Refs: RIC 84; Cohen 109; RCV 8615; Hunter 51.

• Like 4

Why not.  (Nope, no pretense even of a rhetorical question.)

BRABANT, Duché, Godefroid III (1143-1190), AR denier, 1164-1183. D/ Dragon à g.,...

BRABANT, Duché, Godefroid III (1143-1190), AR denier, 1164-1183. D/ Dragon à g., t. à d. R/ Croix cantonnée de deux annelets pointés et de deux croisettes. Légende formée de quatre croisettes et quatre N. Ghyssens p. 5, 2; W. pl. A, 4; Chalon, Namur, 35. 0,76g.  Très Beau

From the Elsen auction listing.  I have neither of the references in print; only the overview of Flemish coins by Ghyssens.  As such, though, this is my earliest example from any of the dukes of Brabant, previously counts of Louvain /Leuven.

But between the engraving itself and the strike, the rendering of the dragon is, well, kind of on the cheap side.

Calling for more (at risk of redundancy) vintage Zappa.  From one of my favorite live albums of all time.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Memorial Day and the Indianapolis 500! Who will erect the trophy to Victory this year? The green flag is about to drop...

Syracuse, Reign of Agathokles

317-289 BC
AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 17.14g)
O: Wreathed head of Kore (Persephone) right, wearing pendant earring and necklace; KOPAΣ behind.
R: Nike standing right, hammer in right hand, erecting trophy; triskeles to lower left, [ΑΓΑΘΟΚΛΕΙΟΣ] behind, all within dotted border.
Struck between 313–295 BC.
HGC 2, 1536; SNG ANS 670-76; SNG Cop 766ff; Sear 972v; BMC 388v
ex Museum Surplus

Persephone_tetradrachm.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Posted · Supporter

Never again will she be demanding riches for her betrayal

L. TITURIUS L. F. SABINUS. Denarius (89 BC). Rome.
Head of Tatius right, SABIN behind, A.PV before / L TITVRI in exergue, Tarpeia buried to her waist in shields, fending off two soldiers about to throw their shields on her. Tituria 5
sear5 #252,Cr344/2c, Syd 699a.
( 3.69 g. 19.4 mm ).
In Roman legend, Tarpeia, daughter of the Roman commander Spurius Tarpeius, was a Vestal Virgin who betrayed the city of Rome to the Sabines at the time of their women's abduction for what she thought would be a reward of jewelry. She was instead crushed to death by Sabine shields and her body cast from the southern cliff of Rome's Capitoline Hill, thereafter called after her the Tarpeian Rock (Rupes Tarpeia).

5300181_1710860060.l-removebg-preview.png.b9da55942d3552352b555c2fd1425acd.png

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

This foxtrot reminds me of my grandmother, who was born in 1913. She had it on a 78 RPM single. 

Here's a grandmother on a coin. 

Maesa PIETAS AVG Antoninianus.jpg
Julia Maesa, 218-225 CE.
Roman AR antoninianus, 4.75 g, 22.3 mm, 12 h.
Rome, 218-219 CE.
Obv: IVLIA MAESA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right, on crescent.
Rev: PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left, dropping incense with right hand over lighted altar and holding box in left hand.
Refs: RIC 264; BMCRE 70-72; Cohen 30; RCV 7747; Thirion 407; CRE 489.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)

...And then, Oh No, there was Bill Martin, famous as a basketball star, announcer, and (...okay?) Deadhead, who just passed at 71.

image.jpeg.02829fbd354cb1366438afdd909534d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fa3115832a5f71a9d12e32322cfae72.jpeg

Philippe III (127-1285).  Toulousain (double denier???). 

Obv.  Fleur de lis; +PhILIPVS REX.

Rev.   Cross in inner border; small fleurs de lis beyond each arm, punctuating the legend.  TO [/] L'[OS]A [/] CI [/] VI.

(Edit: Dumas, Royales 203.)

...And where do you get flowers?  ...If I had to pick half a dozen Dead songs for a desert island, this would be one of 'em.  I like how it evokes the later medieval meme of the jardin d'amour.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

I honestly can't think of half a dozen Dead songs I'd ever want to hear again (sorry, grew up in the Bay Area, saw them four times but still don't understand the attraction). But I might be able to think of 2 or 3.

• Gasp 1

Sorry, @Phil Anthos, but far enough north along the same coast to avoid toxic overexposure, maybe we just heard it differently.

Here's a random example of exactly the kind of late-Tudor-early Stuart coin I will Never go Near, at Any price.  (Right,from UKebay).

1603-4 James I Shilling, MM THISTLE, 2nd Bust, S2646, Hammered Coin. A5 - Picture 2 of 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256523069079?itmmeta=01HZ18TYDDC4R1K014TEARV9D7&hash=item3bb9f76697:g:lLgAAOSw-aBmUemU 

'Steal your face right off your head' or what?

...Sorry if this goes on longer than you really need.  (--That's anyone besides you, @Phil Anthos.  Honor and respect!) 

• Like 3

On 5/27/2024 at 4:20 PM, JeandAcre said:

...And then, Oh No, there was Bill Martin, famous as a basketball star, announcer, and (...okay?) Deadhead, who just passed at 71.

image.jpeg.02829fbd354cb1366438afdd909534d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fa3115832a5f71a9d12e32322cfae72.jpeg

Philippe III (127-1285).  Toulousain (double denier???). 

Obv.  Fleur de lis; +PhILIPVS REX.

Rev.   Cross in inner border; small fleurs de lis beyond each arm, punctuating the legend.  TO [/] L'[OS]A [/] CI [/] VI.

(Edit: Dumas, Royales 203.)

...And where do you get flowers?  ...If I had to pick half a dozen Dead songs for a desert island, this would be one of 'em.  I like how it evokes the later medieval meme of the jardin d'amour.

Bill Walton.

• Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

We've just passed the second anniversary of the untimely passing of Cathal Coughlan.   Here's one from the first Telefís album - his last incarnation, with Jacknife Lee and Jah Wobble here:

The more recent demise of Roma means I should include a Roma coin - here's one from the "Mare Nostrum Hoard":

Ruler: Leo (Augustus)
Coin: Gold Solidus
D N LEO PE-RPET AVG - Bust of Leo I, helmeted, pearl-diademed, cuirassed, facing front, holding spear in right hand behind head and shield decorated with horseman on left arm
VICTORI-A AVGGG Z - Victory, winged, draped, standing left, supporting long jeweled cross; star in right field
Exergue:
spacer.gif spacer.gif
symbol3.gifsymbol14.gifsymbol13.gifsymbol14.gifsymbol87.gif
Mint: Constantinople (462-466 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 4.42g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RIC X 605
  • Depeyrot 93/1
Provenances:
  • Ex. Mare Nostrum Hoard (1954)
Acquisition/Sale: Roma Numismatics Online auction E-Sale 102 #1368 3-Nov-2022
Notes: Nov 12, 22 - This coin published in I. Vecchi, R. Beale and S. Parkin, The Mare Nostrum Hoard (forthcoming)

spacer.pngspacer.png

I assume these coins came from Vecchi - if I run into him again, I'll ask.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

My second ever ancient coin...

Macedonian Kingdom

after 323 BC
AR Drachm (18mm, 3.91g)
O: Head of Alexander as Herakles right, clad in lion's skin.
R: Zeus enthroned left, holding eagle and sceptre, his right leg drawn back; buckle symbol in field to left, monogram (cresent above A) beneath throne, AΛEΞANΔPOY behind.
Lampsakos mint (posthumous issue).
cf Price 1372; Sear 6730v
ex Jack H. Beymer

1AlexanderDrachm_0.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with Kenny Rogers, mind you, but nothing makes you want to dance like Little Richard!

One of my favorite Lucillas:

[IMG]
Lucilla, 164-169 CE.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 20.36 g, 31 mm.
Rome, 166-169 CE.
Obv: LVCILLA AVGVSTA,
bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: CERES S C, Ceres, veiled and draped, seated right on cista, holding corn-ears in right hand and short torch in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1728; BMCRE 1194-96; Cohen 2; RCV 5496; MIR 24.

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

Posted (edited)

Another recent, shameless repost.

Picture 1 of 2

Picture 2 of 2

Conder halfpenny, 'Benolent Choral Fund, for its decay'd members, widows and orphans.'  With Handel, and the title of an aria for The Messiah, on the obverse.

...Needing this at the moment.  Won't comment on the context, other than that, regarding the second half of the text, well, the jury's still out.

(Edit:) One fun little detail about the 'Hallelujah Chorus' is that, at one of the earlier London performances, with Handel still conducting, George II (who knew all anyone had to about monarchy, benevolent or otherwise) was reflexively moved to stand up.  Which is, thank you, where you get the tradition of people doing that.  '...Dang, he's This king; better do the same.'

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 7:52 AM, Phil Anthos said:

😎

@Phil Anthos, ...Well, Okay, if you grew up in the Bay area, you might have been around too many of them than anyone needs in the same room.  (Ironically, "He's Gone" never fails to remind me of a guy in my hometown, who was from Oakland.)

But (from Toxic Quantities of the LPs --

I need to like how the Dead were largely composed of amateur musicologists, only starting from Jerry Garcia's extensive grounding in Appalacian folk music.  Musically, they brought more to the table than lots of people.

...Then, for the other side of the dialectic. there was the Deadhead I knew during my first undergrad years, in Oregon.  One time, we'd been smoking enough to get to the subject of comparing our watches.  (No Idea how....)  I allowed that mine was five minutes fast, so I'd get to class on time.  His response, along memorably stoned, pseudo-Zen lines, was that his was five minutes slow, 'so that I have five minutes.'  I still need that. 

...But, no, @Phil Anthos, I'm happy to say, 'Kids, Don't try this at home!'

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

...Right, thanks to Jimmy Carter, maybe the greatest ex-president America has ever seen (...and Gregg Allman was a fan when he was still in office --recommendation? not going there), June gets to be Black Music Month.  Well, at least the month gets a couple of days on February.

Renaud de Dammartin, count of Boulogne 1191-1212, was one of several prominent French counts who tilted with Philippe II, the Capetian king (1180-1223) who initiated the dramatic expansion of royal power, both territorially and administratively.  ...I might eventually repost the OP about Renaud, from the older forum.  ...Coin, Though.

image.jpeg.b132e3dfa9f521082fc858e9020400a6.jpeg

Renaud de Dammartin (d.1227), Count of Boulogne (1191-1212) and of Dammartin (1201-1212).
AR denier parisis of Boulogne.
Obv. (In two lines, continuing the obverse legend: ) B[O]L [/] ON.V
(From 9 o’clock: ) +RENAD’ COME ( ‘RENA[L]D[VS] COM[ES] BOLONV[M],’ (‘M’ and ‘E’ ligated; Count Renaud of Boulogne.)
Rev. +BOLVNENE
(Boudeau 1935, Poey d’Avant 6629, Roberts 3932. Not in Duplessy ...yet; two volumes and counting....)

After participating in the Battle of Bouvines (1214), on the side of the English and German coalition against Philippe II, he was taken prisoner and summarily deposed.

...'Count Down.'  

....Some middle-period Coltrain.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1