Trachy Tuesday

TheTrachyEnjoyer

Here is quite an interesting coin I purchased recently. From the looks of it, it seems to be missing from all major reference works.

IMG_7356.png

Andronikos II Paleologos - Constantinople - Trachy - Sear: -, DOC: -, LBC:-, LPC :-
23mm - 1,73g

Obv: Half-length figure of St. Theodore, bearded, nimbate, wearing tunic, breastplate, and sagion, holding sword over should with right hand, holding scabbard in left hand, ⒶΓ ΘΕΟΔΟΡΟϹ

Rev: Full-length figure of Andronicus, bearded, wearing stemma, divetesion, collar piece, and uncertain regalia, holding labarum in right hand and akakia in left hand, blessed by Manus Dei in upper right corner, ΑΝΔΡΟΝΙΚΟϹ ΔΕϹΠΟΤ ΠΑΛΕΟΛΟΓ

The obverse design (St. Theodore holding a sword and scabbard) seems to be the same one as used on Sear 2346 (picture below, not my example), but the reverse lacks the circular legends and has a full-length figure of the emperor as well as a manus dei in the upper right corner. Due to the obverse design being linked to a Constantinopolitan issue, and due to the style being Constantinopolitan in general, I have assigned the coin to the mint of Constantinople.Andronicus II Palaeologus (1282-1328) AE trachy Constantinople SB 2346

If anyone is able to find further examples of it somewhere (both published and unpublished), I'd be extremely thankful if you shared them here.

Edited by Zimm
  • Like 6