Egregious Lazy Cock-ups!

NewStyleKing

This Ebay  offering cannot even be bothered to look at their own coin.  Yep its real, but what do they know...or care. Quality stuff!  Interestingly the dating is OK.  Maybe due to the plastic entoumbers  efforts!  Only around $800...a bargain!  And smoothed!

Of course, the description is NOT  of this coin even the simple amphora mark clearly shows a K!

Attica, Athens Athena Owl AR- silver Tetradrachm new style 100/99 BC.
NGC graded VF -  
Guaranteed authentic.

Obverse: Head of Athena Parthenos in profile facing to the right, wearing a single-pendant earring and a double-crested Attic helmet ornamented with an aphlaston [the curving stern of a warship] on the back, a Pegasus on the side, and horse head protomae over the visor. Border of dots. 

Reverse: Owl standing to right with frontal head on top of a panathenaic amphora with lid. In the right field, a small elephant symbol, facing to the right. All within an olive wreath. Inscribed horizontally, around the owl, in Greek: "Α-ΘΕ" [an abbreviation of ΑΘΕΝΑΙΟΝ, which means "of the Athenians"], followed by the names of the magistrates: "ΑΝΤΙ-ΟΧΟ, ΚΑΡΑΙ/ΧΟΣ, ΠΡΩ/ΤΟΓΕ" [Antiochos, Karaichos, Protege]. Inscribed on the amphora: "Η" [eta]; below, illegible.o

Ebay Mistake OBV.jpg

E bay Mistake!.jpg

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 2

Looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast to me...

Funny that they don't show the Strike / Surfaces part. I think the surfaces would get a 1/5 from me, at least for the obverse.

I guess they paid to encapsulate it, and are hoping to monetize that value quickly by copying some generic writeup from elsewhere and hoping someone with more money than sense will buy it???

• Like 2