How Do YOU Store Your Coins?

AncientNumis

So, I know there were a lot of threads like this back on CT. But I couldn't find any here yet and I thought it would be fun to start one as it might be fun. 

I'm a real tray guy - I love 'em. You can easily see coins, and it's super easy to handle them (that's the best bit of the hobby imo - especially ancients 😄) For my favourite modern coins, they go in cheap trays, and my ancients (plus medieval + gold) have some nicer stackable Lighthouse ones (plan to get more of these in the future). A lot of my 'bulk' coins like old pennies will just go in boxes, though. 

How do YOU store your coins? Also, feel free to ask questions about storing coins and related stuff here - let's make this a great thread for beginners too if they're looking for ideas! Look forward to seeing how you all take care of them! 🙂 

IMG-1256.jpg

IMG-1257.jpg

IMG-1258.jpg

IMG-1259.jpg

• Like 10

• Benefactor

Trays for me too! I've posted plenty of photos of them over on CT. None of those fancy Abafil trays! I use Lindner and Lighthouse (= Leuchtturm), which come in transparent plastic sleeves that are interchangeably stackable, so one can mix trays from the two companies. So you can have a giant stack of trays like this one, in a relatively small amount of space at the bottom of a closet:

image.thumb.jpeg.e1fe43d8656807aa16e13839a623fb7f.jpeg

And then there are the trays I keep out on display where I can see them:

image.thumb.jpeg.9088a7937f3da0731149a77de4b049b1.jpeg

• Like 17

I used to store them in this Digi-Key close-able tray album:

PCOmjHq.thumb.jpg.15c231b9124a31a27e3a22622539e8b4.jpg

TqcaHRt.thumb.jpg.9c57fba08e5355cbae4a5d30e72c9937.jpg

This worked okay until a couple things happened: one, I kept buying coins, and two, some of those coins were sestertii (too large to fit in the compartments.)

So, I upgraded to this 2x2 coin flip album:

20220525_205849.thumb.jpg.5708671027c4b75a1d58929b7800b1f6.jpg

20220525_205944.thumb.jpg.d115f4fe3d120176866b3c588c2ad0f4.jpg

I really like this new arrangement because the coins are a more securely organized, it's portable, plus I can fit more information in the flips. I can also take the flips out for closer viewing, or to show a friend, without handling the coin itself (although that is also easy enough to do). There's a lot more room for expanding the collection too.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Trays for me too! I've posted plenty of photos of them over on CT. None of those fancy Abafil trays! I use Lindner and Lighthouse (= Leuchtturm), which come in transparent plastic sleeves that are interchangeably stackable, so one can mix trays from the two companies. So you can have a giant stack of trays like this one, in a relatively small amount of space at the bottom of a closet:

image.thumb.jpeg.e1fe43d8656807aa16e13839a623fb7f.jpeg

And then there are the trays I keep out on display where I can see them:

image.thumb.jpeg.9088a7937f3da0731149a77de4b049b1.jpeg

That's a big stack of trays for sure! I love that feature of them - and for my collection they're good enough quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pantoffel said:

Im using Abafil trays. I have 3 of these now. Compact and of nice quality. 

Edit: With medium and small trays. For denarius and tetradrachms. 

45765_box_m-2.jpg

Oooh lovely! Maybe one day if I have the chance to get some really nice tetradrachms - I might get some of these. They look sooooo nice, and I imagine they're super well made. 

42 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

I changed my storage system (trays) into a display system a while back...

This is an old photo and the cabinet is pretty full now..

20220311_134533.thumb.jpg.36f6f97b18ed0799bc71cec93efd011d.jpg

Really like this! Those look like some cool artefacts or something at the bottom too - what are they?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AncientNumis said:

Oooh lovely! Maybe one day if I have the chance to get some really nice tetradrachms - I might get some of these. They look sooooo nice, and I imagine they're super well made. 

They are really nicely made! And you have many options on their site. Small, big, medium, color. Bit pricey but imo worth it. 

• Like 1

I move my coins around a lot, storage wise, but currently, I have most of my better coins (about 300-350 ish) in my Zecchi coin cabinet, and my two Abafil cases.

I store another 150 ish in Saflips, which I keep in rectangular boxes, and I have a few hundred very low end ancients, mostly lrbs, that I keep in bags and boxes 

I store the core of my Roman imperial collection+coins i'm actively trying to sell (trays 8&9) in my cabinet, my better/more interesting ants in my Miidiplomat, and my better/more interesting Greeks&miscellanious ancients in my minibring

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6572.jpgIMG_6571.jpgIMG_6567.jpgIMG_6568.jpgIMG_6569.jpgIMG_6570.jpg

I do have a large amount of ancient and medieval Chinese cash coins (nothing rare/valuable) that I store in a box
IMG_6537.jpgIMG_6536.jpg

For the rest of my collection I store mostly in saflips

• Like 13

I like keeping my ancients in the two trays, the left tray are all singular displays of my favourites, and the right tray is mostly made up of groups of coins. Around them I keep my modern coin books, proof sets, bank notes, Australian silver coins, and some older bank rolls of Aussie coins (there are some coins on the bottom sections you can see that I've yet to put into a book, I'll probably look at getting a new one soon for my American collection 🙂 )

set.JPG

• Like 7

I presently store them in saflips, and into albums.

However, I have recently reconsidered, and have finally acquiesced to @dougsmit's advice over the years:  simple storage in coin envelopes, and coin boxes. 

I had to move, and found when I removed my coins from my albums, and put them into coin boxes... it was amazing how much storage space I saved!  Moving the coins from Saflips to Coin Envelopes will be my upcoming project.  I also plan to finally use @Bing's super Excel spreadsheet filing system.  

But, too lazy or busy now.... will do this when I finally "retire".

OLD METHOD of Mine:

I use 2x4 open Saflips in Albums so that I have the attributes for each side as I view the coin. 6 Saflips per page. Provenance captured in Saflip and/or customs and other provenance papers captured in a folder.

Album: Desiccant Pages in front and back; 6 slot open Saflips as 2 x 4; Attributes on front and back in top pocket of Saflip; can flip page to see obv and rev. and attributes on both side for each coin; Each album page separated by 100 lb archival card stock.; Album slides into Archival safe Album Cover. Perfect for my Home Safes as well as my Bank Safe. Easy to view, present, store.

Card stock gives a background, as well as "padding" between the album pages.

Desiccant pages in books, desiccant packets in Safes.

Easy-access active Glocks, Rugers, S&W's program in place. :)

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

• Like 6

For my World Travel Coins:

However the BEST STORAGE, EVER, is how I store all my loose world coins that I have collected over the years from my business travels:

(I have a few jars of them...)

[IMG]

THIS is the BEST way to store them. When the Grandkids come over, I just POUR them out on the floor. We talk about the coins, where they were from. They get to play with them, and keep a few! There are at least 35 country's worth of coins in there that I have traveled. Big fun for me to reminisce and fun for the Grandkids to ask questions! :)

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have tried different strorage solutions ove time. I didn't like binders, so I kept my coins in saflips and stored them in boxes made for photographic slides. The upsides of this method were that the boxes took little space and could be transported easily and safely. I bought them used for very little money on ebay. The main downside was that they made it hard to look at multiple coins at the same time:

384516781_Bildschirmfoto2022-05-29um15_51_24.thumb.png.c6d0a09f19f50879f358bb0e7d7d1aac.png

At some point, I decided to switch to trays. I have too many coins for Abafil trays to make sense financially and when it comes to storage space, so I decided for Beba trays. The Beba Maxi system, which I use, consists of stackable boxes measuring about 30x30x14cm. Each box holds up to ten trays. Since I wanted to keep my old inserts from the Saflips with the coins, I bought trays with 36 compartments measuring 4.5x4.5 cm. Smaller compartments would work for most ancient coins, too:

IMG_4484.thumb.jpg.c0fe430bcb95d6a702163f223d2462db.jpg

461176742_IMG_44822.thumb.jpg.29e0d23828d1660659786c1e553fc371.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

I simply have too many coins for trays. I keep them in Saflips, pocket pages, and three-ring binders.

I’m beginning to find this too as I buy group lots and stuff - but sadly SAflips are much more expensive in the UK than the US unless you buy lots of them to make up for shipping costs.