Old and Late Sovereign

LuckyLuudje

Since a long time I just bought some coins again at a local shop where I have bought many coins before.

These are not really ancient but I always had a weak for Sovereigns.

I have a few Sovereigns more, but these are my oldest and latest Sovereign.

Too bad one of them the edge is damaged due to a gold test. Good news is thet I got them at almost spot price. (still expensive with the goldprice nowadays)

It seems that the mintage on older sovereign coin is pretty low, So It makes me even more  exited that I found some new coins for my collection.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

• Like 16
  • Cookie 1

22 hours ago, LuckyLuudje said:

Since a long time I just bought some coins again at a local shop where I have bought many coins before.

These are not really ancient but I always had a weak for Sovereigns.

I have a few Sovereigns more, but these are my oldest and latest Sovereign.

Too bad one of them the edge is damaged due to a gold test. Good news is thet I got them at almost spot price. (still expensive with the goldprice nowadays)

It seems that the mintage on older sovereign coin is pretty low, So It makes me even more  exited that I found some new coins for my collection.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

Your 1831 William IV is going for a little over US$1700, (ATM), but an MS64 graded one is going for (more than) 10 times that amount. Nice pick-up there.

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 2

Ehhh...thanks fot that information, You made me quiet for a minute and I immediately checked the coin again.   8,0 gram 22,17mm and 1,48mm is consistant with my other Sovereigns.

The surface is however more reddish and dull compared to my other Sovereigns. that is why the seller doubted it and damaged the edge with a gold test.

Maybe I did get Lucky.

Although the value doesn't really matter as I never sold one of my gold coins and don't plan too do it soon anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spaniard said:

My only sovereign....Very sentimental as it was left to me by my great grandfather...

That makes it for sure very special!

Nice coins everyone. To make it a little more complete, here is an Edward VII

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

Edited by LuckyLuudje
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...