A Few More Denarii Completes My Top 40

LONGINUS

Good, good!

Maximinus Thrax was a must have for me - but, like in your example, a mandatory condition was a portrait showing his acromegaly.

I loved this coin from the moment I saw it and was very glad to win it, although the bad strike ruined the engraver's talent

image.png.cdd5f712c452c8c63c1de9f90c5b235e.png

Not bad anyways, because a correct strike would have made this coin too expensive, probably.

I can also add my favorite Gallienus to this thread

image.png.d9583b2e85f38d64f43a1660f58b0e90.png

• Like 14

On 8/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, Octavius said:

We can't forget cheerful Caracalla..

He did not forget Caracalla but made a strange choice of order placing him at the end of the family and Geta next to Plautilla.  Those are basically the easy ones and where 'one per' collections can hit a snag.  Each collector has to decide whether they want one coin of a rare guy who had little impact on history or a dozen various coins of people who lasted for decades.  BTW, it does seem that Caracalla ended his 'cheerful' phase about the time he married Plautilla.  IMO any 'general' collection needs several coins of the 'big' names showing how their issues recorded the passing of time.  Caracalla needs three or four at a minimum.  Octavius' set was 'late heavy'.   These are earlier:

rm6510bb0493.jpg.bc28a76d0e1bba7c1a09b29f66d92d0c.jpgrm6580fd0126.jpg.9f8e69bce183c763e9e043000371f406.jpgrm6620bb1061.jpg.e906fece802dc30b25453bd99267c658.jpg

Edited by dougsmit
spell
  • Like 11
  • Yes 1

15 hours ago, dougsmit said:

He did not forget Caracalla but made a strange choice of order placing him at the end of the family and Geta next to Plautilla.  Those are basically the easy ones and where 'one per' collections can hit a snag.  Each collector has to decide whether they want one coin of a rare guy who had little impact on history or a dozen various coins of people who lasted for decades.  BTW, it does seem that Caracalla ended his 'cheerful' phase about the time he married Plautilla.  IMO any 'general' collection needs several coins of the 'big' names showing how their issues recorded the passing of time.  Caracalla needs three or four at a minimum.  Octavius' set was 'late heavy'.   These are earlier:

rm6510bb0493.jpg.bc28a76d0e1bba7c1a09b29f66d92d0c.jpgrm6580fd0126.jpg.9f8e69bce183c763e9e043000371f406.jpgrm6620bb1061.jpg.e906fece802dc30b25453bd99267c658.jpg

Doug you're right. I tried looking for a child Caracalla and could not find a one. Ironically, my coins of Geta are ALL of him as a small child and not one as an adult! Sometimes we tend to forget that Geta was actually 22 at the time of his death and co emperor. Your Securitas sestertius is just mesmerizing.

1552.jpg.00f95d0b9c517cb0a429eda25a1f4165.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

I believe in most but not all periods there were a few mint workers/engravers who did a good job but it seems that this means relatively little to most collectors who would rather have a MS coin from lousy dies than a better one in F-VF.  In many periods of common coins, it can be unusual to find die matches and no one does die studies but we still have the option of looking for better than usual dies.  Thirty years ago there was a dealer who I felt I could count on to have poor artistry and another that never had run of the mill die work.  We remain with the question of whether we want examples that are typical of their period or better to the point that they deceive us into thinking more highly of that mint operation than is really appropriate.  There is a lot of criticism posted by Aaron Berk on the concept of 'Fine Style' as used on NGC slabs.  I believe we each are entitled to our opinion of what is better but might warn that if you pay extra for style, you need to hope to find someone who agrees with your opinion if you decide to sell.  I find the Severan period particularly varied in terms of style.  They had a few die cutters that were absolutely horrid.  

• Like 1
  • Yes 1