New purchase with a great provenance.

Michael Stolt

Won a coin just now at the Leu web auction, that I previously had as a target when it was sold at Chaponnière little over a year ago, I overslept by a few minutes that time (been kicking myself since) and missed out on the coin.

So it was a pleasant surprise to see it surface again, I don't collect Mark Antony anymore so I will probably not keep it for long, but could not pass on this a second time at a very decent price.

The reason behind me going after this coin is that I discovered some great forgotten provenance for it, stretching all the way back to 1924, it was later on sold in 1934. The coin used to be part of the collections of Clarence S. Bement and of Sir Arthur J. Evans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image02328.jpg

Mark Antony and Octavia. Summer-autumn 39 BC. AR Cistophorus (26mm, 12.17 g, 11h) Ephesus mint.

Obverse: Conjoined busts of Antony, wearing ivy wreath, and Octavia, bareheaded and draped, right - M · ANTONIVS IMP · COS · DESIG · ITER · ET TERT around.

Reverse: Dionysus (Bacchus) standing left, holding cantharus and thyrsus, on cista between two snakes - III · VIR · R · P · C in fields.

Reference: RPC I 2202.

Provenance: Ex. Münzen & Medallien AG Basel FPL 572, (February 1994), lot 42. Ex. Naville Ars Classica XVII (3 October 1934), lot 1140. Ex Naville Ars Classica VIII (25 June 1924), lot 435.

image.png.f4a3b2aee50b140b45dc154c1a43259c.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Michael Stolt
  • Like 26
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor

Beautiful!  And I do love finding an old provenance.

4 hours ago, Agricantus said:

I had 31 coins on my wishlist for the first 2 days of Leu and managed to win just 2. 

I've bid on one coin so far, and was fortunate to win it -- I raised my pre-bid (based on a feeling I had) just enough to win out over someone who tried to "snipe" me with about 15 seconds left on the clock.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Beautiful!  And I do love finding an old provenance.

I've bid on one coin so far, and was fortunate to win it -- I raised my pre-bid (based on a feeling I had) just enough to win out over someone who tried to "snipe" me with about 15 seconds left on the clock.

Sounds like we’re all in the same boat! Had about 15 for the first auction and around 30 for the one tomorrow. Can’t wait to take up at 5am 😭 Won two so far..