Gold to silver ratio in Roman empire.

JayAg47

I've always wanted to do this comparison. As I understand, between the mid 1st century BC to mid 3rd century AD, 25 silver denarii each weighing around 3-3.5g equaled an aureus weighing 7-8g. Which means the gold to silver ratio was around 1:10, but today it's around 1:85. Although, I'm sure it also reflects the current society with various need for precious metals unlike back when gold and silver was exclusively used for storage of wealth and jewelry. 

IMG_8111.jpg.1673b58f7fdae356f5202d6859243d1b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

You were just looking for an excuse to post a picture of all those coins weren't you? 😍

But I think your question has too many complex variables to be answered accurately. For one, I think you're comparing the fiat values of Roman currency in the 1st century to the bullion values of the metals today. Remember that when silver coins were circulating in the modern world, their fiat value was considerably higher than their bullion value. Once the bullion values started approaching the face values and coins were hoarded rather than spent, governments worldwide transitioned to base metals. Likewise, the fiat value of the Roman coins had to be considerably higher than their bullion values.

Another incalculable problem is the question of the cost of mining metals. It's much easier to mine and refine metals with modern technology than it was in the ancient world. On the other hand, ancient mining and refining was done by slaves which would have greatly reduced labor costs - you only need to keep slaves alive and well enough to function. It's definitely a case of apples and oranges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current market is heavily manipulated and not anywhere close to reality. Price is artificially held low by creating fake AV/AR spot trading in LBMA and others and rehypothecated. It's so bad JP Morgan is slapped with a billion dollar fine without blinking. 

• Like 1

Daric / Aureus were roughly the same weight, and is about a Quarter TOZ today.

At the time of the Daric, it was equal to 25 Drachmae:

ACHAEMENID EMPIRE

[IMG]
PERSIA, Achaemenid Empire.
Darios I to Xerxes II.
Circa 485-420 BC.
AV Daric (14mm, 8.30 g). Lydo-Milesian standard. Sardes mint.
Persian king or hero, wearing kidaris and kandys, quiver over shoulder, in kneeling-running stance right, holding spear in right hand, bow in left /
Incuse punch.
Carradice Type IIIb, Group A/B (pl. XIII, 27);
Meadows, Administration 321; BMC Arabia pl. XXIV, 26.

Twenty-five drachmas equals one Daric

• Like 6