Victoriatus #18: "LT"

red_spork

I recently picked up a victoriatus which brings the total count in my collection to 18 different varieties. That may seem like a lot but I'm actually only about a quarter of the way to completing the series and still missing both many of the most common varieties and many of the rarest ones. This type is one of the scarcer varieties with a mintmark LT. Unlike the much more common L mintmarked victoriati, these with LT probably weren't minted at Luceria but instead, represent the transition away from Luceria to another mint, likely still in Apulia but closer to the fighting and where the money would be spent(contra Crawford, who thinks T may just refer to a mintmaster). Andrew McCabe suggests that mint might be Herdonia under Quintus Fabius Maximus filius and the abrupt change in style does suggest that it is a different mint.

As you can probably tell from the picture, this coin did come slabbed. Normally I try to avoid buying slabbed coins, but this coin was very attractively priced because this dealer inexplicably listed a large group of slabbed victoriati in economy(no strike/surface) slabs and priced them all based on the slab grade - so every "MS" coin, whether it was off struck and missing half the reverse or badly corroded or had a massive die crack running across it cost the same. Most were overpriced but this was a bargain. Of course, I made sure to crack it out as soon as it got home, and while I haven't had time to take my own good photographs of it or a video, I did take some quick "in-hand" shots because this coin is truly breathtaking, particularly the well-detailed reverse.

apmex-comb.jpeg.dd971852b497ec726fd3ab5fc1bc3d03.jpeg

Roman Republic AR Victoriatus(3.81g), Anonymous("LT" series). ca. 214-212 B.C., Central Apulian mint under, perhaps under Quintus Fabius Maximus filius at Herdonia. Laureate head of Jupiter right. Border of dots / Victory standing right, crowning trophy with wreath; LT between. ROMA in exergue. Line border. Crawford 98a/1b

Formerly slabbed by NGC 4374477-040 graded MS

In-hand shots:

image.jpeg.28a7519f243bdb1f9935ff2880998629.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

Wow, that's a beauty, red_spork (hi)

Congrats on adding that OP-winner! 

Ummm, I had a pretty sweet example back in the day as well ... wanna see it?

Roman Republic, Anonymous AR Victoriatus

(Rome mint)

Date: After 211 BC

Diameter: 17.9 mm

Weight: 2.9 grams

Obverse:  Laureate head of Jupiter

Reverse:  Victory standing right, crowning trophy

References: Crawford 53/1

Characteristics: Good style, perfect centering and high grade …

It was voted best of type in Forvm galleries in 2014 (and may still hold the title?)

Ex-stevex6 … From the Professor James R. Eaton Collection

Roman Republic Anonymous AR Victoriatus a.jpg

Roman Republic Anonymous AR Victoriatus b.jpg

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Super Victoriatus, @red_spork!  I really enjoy the mint-mark variation... I wonder where it was?

I only have a few of these little gems.  This one is a favorite, as it has a pig...

Jordan, when I review ACSearch, I see many of these described as "Rare".  However, they list 14, and I have seen these offered a few times.  I know that Auctions and Sellers like to hype "Rare and Scarce," etc.  But, I thought the Sow series was a little more common, maybe "scarce".  Your thoughts?

I like my worn Jupiter as it loos as he is clean-shaved.  Maybe a "rare"-day for Jupiter to be clean-cut...

image.png.34831234b4db4da1044083b49698ba04.png

RR Victoriatus 206-195 BCE AR 16-5mm 2-61g Jupiter r Victory crowning trophy sow r in ex ROMA Syd 253 Russo RBW 554 Cr 121-1

• Like 10

• Benefactor
10 minutes ago, Alegandron said:

Super Victoriatus, @red_spork!  I really enjoy the mint-mark variation... I wonder where it was?

I only have a few of these little gems.  This one is a favorite, as it has a pig...

Jordan, when I review ACSearch, I see many of these described as "Rare".  However, they list 14, and I have seen these offered a few times.  I know that Auctions and Sellers like to hype "Rare and Scarce," etc.  But, I thought the Sow series was a little more common, maybe "scarce".  Your thoughts?

I like my worn Jupiter as it loos as he is clean-shaved.  Maybe a "rare"-day for Jupiter to be clean-cut...

image.png.34831234b4db4da1044083b49698ba04.png

RR Victoriatus 206-195 BCE AR 16-5mm 2-61g Jupiter r Victory crowning trophy sow r in ex ROMA Syd 253 Russo RBW 554 Cr 121-1

Imo, a lot of dealers are a bit too quick to throw "rare" around. "Scarce" is correct for your coin, although I suppose it really comes down to definitions of the terms. By any definition, all the victoriati with symbols are at least scarce.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

Imo, a lot of dealers are a bit too quick to throw "rare" around. "Scarce" is correct for your coin, although I suppose it really comes down to definitions of the terms. By any definition, all the victoriati with symbols are at least scarce.

Thank you Phil!  Yeah, I figgerred so, especially when dealers and auctions want to "market" their wares. 🙂

• Like 2

image.jpeg.16c1f4bc5eec1e497a57fd8c1c61e1e6.jpeg

Victoriatus of the Roman Republic Period 211/210 BC * Material: Silver * Mint: Apulia * Reference: Crawford RRC 102/1 * Obverse: Laureate head of Jupiter, right. Border of dots * Reverse: Victory, right, crowning trophy. Line border. Controlmark Q. The Inscription reads: ROMA

Oh an Victoriatus Thread" Thats fine - here is mine.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Roman Republic. Anonymous. 207 BC. AR Victoriatus (17mm, 2.86g, 3h). Crescent (first) Series. Rome mint. Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter right. Rev: Victory standing right, crowning trophy; crescent between; ROMA in exergue. Ref: Crawford 57/1; Sydenham 220; RSC Anon 24d; RBW 217.

image.jpeg.437d17782033fb060cfe3f680f64d358.jpeg

One of the first ancients I bought way back in 1992 from Argos.

• Like 6