Is it real or is it Memorex?

Heliodromus

In this case, Memorex, unfortunately.

I wonder who else here remembers that Memorex (casette tape) advertising campaign from the 80's ?!

So, I bought the coin below a while back, was pleased with it, and wrote it up here.

image.png.c32857ca343c46feea14572c8a8f5377.png

Not so pleased to just see this doppelganger currently on eBay.

image.jpeg.693664bdff3b95af9be631d4b211987f.jpeg

In retrospect the flan cracks on mine do look rather sus, although not as bad as on the second one. Oh, well, at least it was cheap ($30).

The second one is from eBay seller ancientground, who's also selling a bunch of other fake coins and artifacts.

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 9
  • Gasp 2
  • Cry 3
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1

Tough break, but be sure to list it on FORVM's fake reports and/or ForgeryNetwork, if it isn't already there. It's important to keep the shysters at bay. I was recently stuck with three Toronto Group forgeries in a Canadian collection I bought. They are reasonably convincing, and they may have slipped through if it weren't for FORVM's fake reports. Fortunately the seller is willing to take them back...

celticfake1.png.3c0eea1069ef1280e759b9823d2f549f.pngcelticfake2.png.18daa689aef79afba210822484726c38.png

domitianfake.jpg.61b81239f9f255f9f64ec1dbdb7358e8.jpgdomitianfake2.png.bba84076f35f647ff715072f5261cf76.png

Philipfake.jpg.67d1642b80336b40d043a6ccd6e40edb.jpgphilipfake2.png.a5cca9fc97d243b0badac8404dcb8995.png

Edited by JAZ Numismatics
  • Like 8
  • Yes 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 2

It seems almost inevitable that any large enough collection is going to have a few fakes in it. We can't all be NGC Ancients' Barry Murphy or David Vagi, and I'm sure even they must occasionally make mistakes since nobody has access to future information that may change their opinion.

I know the British Museum has at least a couple of fake Constantine's in their collection too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

37 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

It seems almost inevitable that any large enough collection is going to have a few fakes in it. We can't all be NGC Ancients' Barry Murphy or David Vagi, and I'm sure even they must occasionally make mistakes since nobody has access to future information that may change their opinion.

I know the British Museum has at least a couple of fake Constantine's in their collection too!

The British Museum has a large number of fakes for that reason. They buy anything unusual and in the 1800s they didn't know what they do now.

• Like 2

Yep, though for many decades their  pages are full of similar, and warnings of worse, including theft. Although  they failed to see the  irony in regularly printing the  full address of all their members.  Surely of some temptation to thieves to at least see  if  coins were kept at home! Random selection here, including it seems the great Bunbury.

Screenshot2024-04-29at13-13-12LISTOFMEMBERSOFTHENUMISMATICSOCIETYOFLONDON.DECEMBER1889onJSTOR.png.1e1daae6eac534f5455f7adb7cb2da64.png

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Confused 1

I remember the Memorex advertisements. There was 1, in which they recorded a woman singing, and then they played the recording near a wine glass, and the wine glass shattered. I also remember cassette tapes. And music CDs. And, I had a boom box. Sometimes, none of that seems real. As if it was all just a dream.

• Like 2
  • Yes 4

10 hours ago, Postvmvs said:

@Heliodromus where did you acquire your example?

Also from eBay, although I forget the seller.

Of course eBay is the most likely place to find fakes, but I've seen similar quality fakes from major dealers and auction houses too, since it seems this type of fare isn't usually going to get much more than a cursory inspection.

• Like 1

..for a long time i was under the prejudice view that less expensive coins weren't forged ....but that was wrong and i would reckon we must assume that  a percentage of our own collections stand a good chance of being forged ..

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
21 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

..for a long time i was under the prejudice view that less expensive coins weren't forged ....but that was wrong and i would reckon we must assume that  a percentage of our own collections stand a good chance of being forged ..

Depressing thought.

• Yes 1