Alexander II Scotland ?

As usual @John Conduitt nailed it with a mallet!  Best reference to hand is Coins of Scotland, Ireland and the Islands [...in the Channel and Irish Sea], including Anglo-Gallic Coins (Spink, 2015), no.5029.  

William I, 'The Lion,' 1165-1214.  Last phase; short voided cross, stars in each angle.  Continued posthumously (into the reign of, Yep, Alexander II); c.1205 -c. 1230.  No mint, but with the moneyers of Edinburgh and Perth working jointly.  This issue is known for the wide variety of portrait styles.

Rev. HVE WALTEr.  (Fun for dispensing with the Latin 'VGO,' conventional among English equivalents.  See below!)

Obv.  Profile (is that hair, or a mail coif?  Not sure).  (Holding sceptre, extending into the legend.)

(Here, from 6 o'clock:) LE REI WILAM.  (Frankly substituting vernacular Old French for medieval Latin.  William and his grandfather, David I, encouraged Anglo-Norman settlement in Scotland, with attendant feudalization, along with the prominently Flemish merchant class.)

It's a solid example.  I only have cut halves of the same issue.

image.jpeg.5b33c98043fe2603c4addfa5db8458b6.jpegimage.jpeg.8b2191247032621b58b9fc5dbce79281.jpeg

image.jpeg.09fdb069125ee996df484b3b89c9407c.jpegimage.jpeg.37879bfc29c73fafaf409b7192168fac.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

I have so many similar coins I think that it’s going to take a while to identify them because they all look so similar to the untrained eye such as mine😂 is there any way of putting them all online in like an album or something? Like I said, new to this fascinating subject 🥰

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Amanda said:

I have so many similar coins I think that it’s going to take a while to identify them because they all look so similar to the untrained eye such as mine😂 is there any way of putting them all online in like an album or something? Like I said, new to this fascinating subject 🥰

You can probably start part-identifying (or even fully identifying) them yourself. There are a lot of British medieval coins, so you can narrow it down quickly. Work out which are English (3 pellets on the back) or Scottish (stars on the back). Then which are short cross (Henry II to Henry III), long cross (Henry III), Edward I-III (long cross but different face with long hair and no beard, and a crown like antlers). Henry VI-Henry VII have a more complete crown, sometimes like a box with holes in it. Try to read the legends.

• Like 3

...Or, given that you're approaching this from a near-total knowledge vacuum (no sin; hence, no absolution is even called for), you could start with grouping them according to broad similarities to eachother, effectively along the lines set out by @John Conduitt.  But if the legends are just too much (and there's a Lot of variation in the lettering, even within a given period), you could always feel free to skip that part.  ...It sounds like you're already very keen on learning about this stuff, but that won't ever not be its own process.  

• Like 1

Hi @Amanda,

You might get some basic orientation by looking through guides #37 (Medieval Coins) and #38 (Post Medieval Coins) at the British Archeology Jobs & Resorces website. These are free downloads at http://www.bajr.org/BAJRread/BAJRGuides.asp .

- Broucheion 

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Broucheion said:

Hi @Amanda,

You might get some basic orientation by looking through guides #37 (Medieval Coins) and #38 (Post Medieval Coins) at the British Archeology Jobs & Resorces website. These are free downloads at http://www.bajr.org/BAJRread/BAJRGuides.asp .

- Broucheion 

Thank you all for your help 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Amanda said:

@Amanda Here's an idea. Take a group photo, of 15 coins. Arrange the coins, in a 3x5 grid, with 3 horizontal rows, and 5 vertical columns. In other words, a grid that is wider, than it is tall. Put the coins close together, to minimize the dead space between the coins, but keep the rows and columns neat and orderly and well aligned. Try to have the "head" side of each coin facing up. Hold the camera as close to the grid of coins as possible, to minimize the dead space outside of the grid of coins. Then, flip the coins over, and take a 2nd group photo. In both group photos, try to rotate the coins, so that they are all pointing the correct way, for example the top of the head should be facing north (12 o'clock).

Then, create a thread, with a title such as "ID Help : My Father's Collection : Group Photo 1 : Any Gems?". If possible, try to put similar coins in the group photo. For example, if there are 15 coins which seem to be medieval coins, then you could add that to the thread title : "ID Help : My Father's Collection : Group Photo 1 : Medieval Coins (?) : Any Gems?". In the thread, post the 2 group photos.

You don't have to indicate the weight of each coin. However, it may be a good idea, to put a US dime or quarter, as 1 of the 15 coins, to give an indication of the size of the coins.

Some members may frown at this, but perhaps it would allow us to quickly look at a bunch of coins, and see if there are any "gems" (valuable coins). For example, for English silver pennies, the older the penny, the more valuable it often is. English silver pennies from Richard I The Lionheart or earlier, are often more valuable. It's pretty easy for me to tell, if an English silver penny is from Richard I The Lionheart or earlier.

If any "gems" are found, then maybe you could take separate photos of those individual coins, and create separate threads for them.

If anyone yells at you for doing this, then just tell them, that it was @sand's crazy idea.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

For reference, here is my example of Alexander II. Granted, it is cut in half...but it is still identifiable.
AlexanderIIScotlandHalfPennyRoxburgh.png.76fa55f7a6f4b517363f7866ef07652f.png

Alexander II
1235-1249 AD
Scotland
AR Half Penny
Roxburgh Mint
Obverse: ALEXANDER REX, Crowned left facing bust with a sceptre
Reverse: Short voided cross pattee, six-pointed star in each angle, legend and beaded borders surrounding
Sp# 5038

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1