Uncleaned Vespasian As

Normally, I don't purchase uncleaned coins, but one that's decently rare is hard to resist.

V821.jpg.a6d0d0c41a665fe3bd2ab8e3798486d4.jpg
Vespasian
Æ As, 11.99g
Rome mint, 75 AD
Obv: IMP CAESAR VESP AVG COS VI; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
Rev: AEQVITAS AVGVST; S C in field; Aequitas stg. l., with scales and rod
RIC 821 (R). BMC -. BNC 739.
Ex Savoca Blue 202, 23 March 2024, lot 375.

Vespasian's bronze coinage output in 75 was very meagre. Even this common Aequitas type is considered rare in RIC. Obverse die match with the Oxford and Paris specimens.

In hand.

Any advice on cleaning it is most welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 12

I'm certainly not an expert on cleaning ancient coins.

However, I do know that a sustained soak in some distilled water may do no harm.  It may loosen some of the lesser adhered earthen encustrations.

On a side note...

The flourescent green spots on the S VI of the obverse legend look to possibly be the early onset of bronze disease, and it may warrant some close observation, and perhaps, treatment.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
4 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

I'm certainly not an expert on cleaning ancient coins.

However, I do know that a sustained soak in some distilled water may do no harm.  It may loosen some of the lesser adhered earthen encustrations.

On a side note...

The flourescent green spots on the S VI of the obverse legend look to possibly be the early onset of bronze disease, and it may warrant some close observation, and perhaps, treatment.

Great call! A distilled water bath for a couple of days and then the verdicare treatment is what the doc ordered. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

On a side note...

The video shows the coin as it really is 'in hand' and those 'green' spots are not present. Apologies, I should have adjusted the photo's colour more accurately.

• Big Smile 1

29 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

The video shows the coin as it really is 'in hand' and those 'green' spots are not present. Apologies, I should have adjusted the photo's colour more accurately.

Yeah...

The vid looks good.  Nice coin.

Congrats!  I love me some good Flavian bronze..😊

• Like 2