Finally have a coin from Metapontion!

kirispupis

• Benefactor

I only started collecting ancients a few years ago, and that's what really sparked my interest for the cities of Magna Grecia. While I'd been to Rome and Turkey before, I had a new found admiration for ruins and really wanted to see some.

Therefore, on a trip to Puglia and Basilicata, since I was in charge of the itinerary, I added a stop at Metapontion on the way between Alberobello and Matera, even though it wasn't really on the way. There, we visited the museum and the Temple of Hera. The majority of the archeological digs were not accessible at the time.

It was in the middle of the day and there were a number of tourists, so I was limited in what I could do for photos, but I did take this one.

Metapontion.jpg.67c6b1c01e83577be7c4f27671e74df7.jpg

Of course, when I came back, I really wanted a coin of Metapontion. However, the Greek cities of Italy weren't on my list, so I had to wait a bit. Then it became a matter of budget.

However, I rather liked this one when it showed up at VCoins, so I grabbed it right away.

metapontion.jpg.096ae73c496ae1c631c68ebc1ed24011.jpg

Lucania, Metapontion
Circa 400-340 BCE
AR stater/nomos 22mm, 7.3g
Head of Demeter to left
Rev. METAΠΟNTIΩN Barley ear with leaf to right; above leaf, ivy leaf
HN Italy 1545. Noe 524. SNG ANS 391

The city, of course, has a tremendous history and was heavily involved with Agesilaos, Alexander I Molossos, and Pyrrhos. I liked this particular example because the full city name is on the reverse and so it doesn't look like a Meta/Facebook advertisement.

Overall, I'm very happy that I can now match a coin to my photo!

Please post your photos of Metapontion!

• Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter

Excellent Magna Graecia addition! And I can't say just how green I am with envy of your vacation. 

Here are a couple pebbles of mine from there:

49880533_Screenshot_20220621-193809_PicCollage-removebg-preview2.png.32bb80753a86b6c349a79a6425070865.png.7e6e12c1accf22ac7241119406497207.png

LUCANIA, Metapontion. Circa 470-440 BC. AR Triobol (12mm, .95 g, 6h). Ear of barley with six grains / Incuse facing head of ox. Noe Class XII, 264; HN Italy 1487.

IMG_5003.JPG.e46304b686119afa383c3334a5c6b58c.jpeg.c5f103ad2fdd1882e6def565cf170b2d.jpeg

LUCANIA, Metapontion. Circa 430-400 BC. AR Obol (7mm, 0.29 g). Head of Herakles right wearing lion skin / Grain ear. Noe -; HN Italy 1506. SNG Ahmolean 1802. VF, toned. Rare.

• Like 5

Great photo! I like the rounded capitals. Kind of look like doughnuts.

meta2.jpg.5f7fdedd0e30fd36e2c3eef2c456ec88.jpg

Lucania, Metapontion. c. 300-250 BC. Ae13

Obv: Radiate head of Helios facing.
Rev: Three barley-grains radiating from center, M E and race torch within segments.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

I only started collecting ancients a few years ago, and that's what really sparked my interest for the cities of Magna Grecia. While I'd been to Rome and Turkey before, I had a new found admiration for ruins and really wanted to see some.

Therefore, on a trip to Puglia and Basilicata, since I was in charge of the itinerary, I added a stop at Metapontion on the way between Alberobello and Matera, even though it wasn't really on the way. There, we visited the museum and the Temple of Hera. The majority of the archeological digs were not accessible at the time.

It was in the middle of the day and there were a number of tourists, so I was limited in what I could do for photos, but I did take this one.

Metapontion.jpg.67c6b1c01e83577be7c4f27671e74df7.jpg

Of course, when I came back, I really wanted a coin of Metapontion. However, the Greek cities of Italy weren't on my list, so I had to wait a bit. Then it became a matter of budget.

However, I rather liked this one when it showed up at VCoins, so I grabbed it right away.

metapontion.jpg.096ae73c496ae1c631c68ebc1ed24011.jpg

Lucania, Metapontion
Circa 400-340 BCE
AR stater/nomos 22mm, 7.3g
Head of Demeter to left
Rev. METAΠΟNTIΩN Barley ear with leaf to right; above leaf, ivy leaf
HN Italy 1545. Noe 524. SNG ANS 391

The city, of course, has a tremendous history and was heavily involved with Agesilaos, Alexander I Molossos, and Pyrrhos. I liked this particular example because the full city name is on the reverse and so it doesn't look like a Meta/Facebook advertisement.

Overall, I'm very happy that I can now match a coin to my photo!

Please post your photos of Metapontion!

Nice coin, and the reverse is beautiful. Here are a couple of mine...

Metapontum, Lucania

330-300 BC
AR Didrachm (21mm, 7.76g)
O: Head of Demeter right, wreathed in grain and wearing triple earring and necklace; ΔAI under chin.
R: Ear of barley with seven grains, leaf to right; plow above leaf, MAX below, META upward to left.
Johnston C-1; SNG ANS 470; SNG Cop 1227; HN Italy 1581; Sear 416
ex Windsor Antiquities

Founded around 700 BC by Achaean colonists, Metapontum strived to remain neutral through the many wars common in Magna Graecia. They took no active role in the struggle between fellow Achaean colonies of Kroton and Sybaris, although they did give sanctuary to Pythagoras and his followers after they were banished from Kroton. Here he taught until his retirement, and here he died (c. 500 BC).
Metapontum joined Taras in an alliance with Alexander of Epirus during his wars against the Lucanians and Bruttians (332 BC). However when Metapontum declined a similar offer to ally with Kleonymus of Sparta in 303 BC, Taras became hostile and attacked, eventually extorting a large sum of gold from the Metapontines. The animosity between them subsided by 281 BC, when Metapontum once again sided with the Tarentines in an alliance with Pyrrhus, King of Epirus, in the war against Rome.
By this time their influence in the region had waned, and we hear less and less of the city until the Second Punic War (216 BC), at which time Metapontum declared in favor of Hannibal. By 212 BC Hannibal occupied the city, and it seems to have been a major base for his forces. However, after his military reversal Hannibal was forced to give up possession of the region, departing Italy from Metapontum in 207 BC and evacuating the population at the same time. Metapontum would never again play a major role in Magna Graecia, and although Cicero mentions visiting the city, Pausanias tells us that the site was a complete ruin by his time.

Metapontum.jpeg~2.jpg

Metapontum, Lucania

470-440 BC
AR Diobol (11mm, 0.82g).
O: Ear of barley with six grains.
R: Incuse barley grain; annulet to left.
Noe 304; HN Italy 1488 
ex Agora Auctions; ex Artifact Man

Metapontum was located on the Gulf of Taras between the rivers Bradanus and Casuentus.
This ideal location, lying on a richly fertile plain, would provide the Metapontines with the abundant grain harvests from which they became both wealthy and influential. By the fifth century Metapontum had grown so prosperous that she paid an annual tribute to Delphi in the form of a "golden harvest" (Strabo), thought to be a sheaf of grain fashioned from gold.

Metapontum_Diobol.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

I liked this particular example because the full city name is on the reverse

Agreed! They are a small percentage of the total output. Many congratulations. The temple is something special and likely much older as a sacred site than the city. When I was there, there was a guide loudly proclaiming it Emperor Otto's camp (apparently he was based at it). I wept a little  inside 🙂

Nomos, c. 510-470, medium incuse (class ix), meta, ear of barley with six grains, rev. similar but incuse, 7.93g

vvvvvvv_origq.jpg.f46b701b8b7364b1d80bf50851629dc9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2