Looking for an App that allows you to crop and measure a screenshot . . . (not 'Snippy')

Topcat7

Until recently I had a useful tool that enabled me to crop a 'screenshot'.
From memory, I think it may have been called 'Ashampoo Magical Snap'.
Despite half a day of searching I cannot find it, again. Can someone, who knows what I am speaking of, please provide me with an 'address' for it? . . . . . (Not 'Snippy')

Thank you.

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 1

• Topcat7 changed the title to Looking for an App that allows you to crop and measure a screenshot . . . (not 'Snippy')
Just now, John Conduitt said:

I think it's an older version of what is now just called Snap. There's a version 2.51 that came out in 2013.

Yes. I looked at that and suspected as much, but it was so different to what came before that it was a totally new program to me, and you know what they say about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'.

I am happy to have back something I am familiar with.

Thank you, again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

Yes. I looked at that and suspected as much, but it was so different to what came before that it was a totally new program to me, and you know what they say about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'.

I am happy to have back something I am familiar with.

Thank you, again.

I totally understand. I've used the same long-discontinued photo editing program for the last 20 years. It originally came bundled with an XP laptop. It's still compatible with Windows and does everything I need it to do, requiring little or no conscious thought. 🙂

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

Hi, Everybody,

I Really Need Anything along these lines that works. 

Except that this now-antiquated desktop (first one I Ever bought new) is still loaded with Windows 7.  Could anyone help with something that's compatible with that, but still available for download?

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, JeandAcre said:

Hi, Everybody,

I Really Need Anything along these lines that works. 

Except that this now-antiquated desktop (first one I Ever bought new) is still loaded with Windows 7.  Could anyone help with something that's compatible with that, but still available for download?

You could try John's suggestion of   https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/snap-free

It should work on Windows 7

Edited by Topcat7
  • Thanks 1

I have an old desktop computer. I bought it in 2010. It used to have Windows 7 Home, I think, but I've since installed the Windows 10 Home on it. I also upgraded the RAM, from 8 gigabytes to 16 gigabytes.

I've always just used the following keyboard keys.

Alt + Print Screen (called "PrtScn SysRq" on my keyboard) = screen capture the selected window.

Ctrl + Print Screen (called "PrtScn SysRq" on my keyboard) = screen capture the entire desktop.

Then, in Microsoft Paint, which was standard software with Windows 7 and is still standard software with Windows 10 although you may have to poke around to find it, I press Ctrl + V, to paste the screen captured image. Then, in Microsoft Paint, I press Ctrl + A to select all of the captured image. Then, in Microsoft Paint, I can move the image around, to clip the top and left areas of the image. Then, in Microsoft Paint, I click outside of the image. This causes a tiny white square to appear, at the lower right corner of the image. Then, I click and drag the lower right corner of the image, where the tiny white square is, in order to clip the bottom and right areas of the image.

Is this the sort of thing, about which you guys are talking?

Or, do you want to do fancier things?

Or, have I misunderstood this thread/discussion?

Edited by sand
  • Like 2

Huge thanks, @Topcat7, @sand and, belatedly, @John Conduitt!

...Yikes, I didn't even notice that @John Conduitt had already included a link!  Dope-Slapping Time....

@sand, I'm copying your instructions to put in a Google doc.  Pretty sure I never got rid of Microsoft Paint.  Might try out the keyboard keys, just to make sure they don't work in Windows 7.

...Honest, I need a whole new machine.  Mostly just dreading having to export half a ton of stuff from this one.

• Like 2