Deciphering Demeter...

kirispupis

• Benefactor

This coin will either go down as one of my dumbest purchases, or one of my smartest. I'm looking for help to determine which one.

demeter_mystery.png.b82a06df78f0e8f1f697949b1c095f4d.png

Stats given are 10mm 1.9g

The coin was presented as Adramytteion, and I could see why this was guessed - but I highly doubt this coin is from there since there's no record for anything near this type. I spent the last week trying to research this coin, but I've come up with nothing. Still, since I couldn't find any matches - it intrigued me greatly as potentially coming from a very rare city - so I bid more than I probably should have on it.

The following is what I have so far: I believe the portrait on the obverse is Demeter. The rough type is very common on coinage, with either a veiled or wreathed Demeter on the obverse and some ethnic within a wreath on the reverse. The following are cities that have done this.

City Area Veil Within Wreath
Adranon Sicily No Grain
Panormos Sicily Yes Naso
Enna Sicily No E-N Barley
Mesambria Thrace Yes Grain
Lysimacheia Thrace Yes ΛYΣIMA-XEΩN
Perinthos Thrace Yes ΠΕΡΙΝ[ΘΙΩ]Ν
Bisanthe Thrace Yes BI
Kallatis Thrace Yes ΚΑΛ ΛΑΤΙ ΑΝΩΝ
Dionysopolis Moesia No ΔIONY
Istros Moesia Yes ΙΣΤΡΙH
Tyra Skythia Yes TYPA
Thelpusa Thessaly No ΘЄΛ 
Thebai Thessaly Yes ΗΘ
Elaia Aeolis No ΕΛΑΙΤΩΝ
Mostene Lydia Yes ΛΥΔΩΝ / ΜΟΣΤΗΝΩΝ
Priapos Mysia Yes ΠPIA 
Eresos Rhodes No ΕΡΕΣΙ 
Dyme Achaia Yes ΔY 
Hermione Argolis No E-P/torch

Of the above bunch, this coin most closely resembles the types of Elaia. However, the ethnic matches none of them. It appears to spell either ΛΑΓΑ or ΛΑΓΛ, but I haven't found any record for cities or ethnics beginning with that. There do appear to be one or two letters below, but they're tough to make out.

From the above chart, I find it interesting that there's nearly no pattern in terms of a veiled or wreathed Demeter, other than all examples from Thrace were veiled. Therefore, it seems likely that this coin doesn't come from Thrace, but that doesn't rule it out much. The pattern itself was used across Greek cities from Sicily to the Peloponnese to Asia Minor and into Skythia.

The weight of the coin I believe can also rule out Thessaly, which preferred to mint larger coins. The style also doesn't seem consistent with Sicily, so my believe is this comes from Asia Minor. I tried searching through the unidentified coin on the Asia Minor Coins site with no luck.

I would be most obliged and grateful if anyone has any idea on an attribution!

• Like 8

It looks similar to this bronze from Kyzikos, although the size is different...

Kyzikos, Mysia

2nd-1st century BC
AE19 (19mm, 5.42g)
O: Head of Persephone right, wearing wreath of grain.
R: KY-ZI above and below monogram, all within oak wreath.
Sear 3864; BMC 148
ex Wayne Philips; ex Ancient Imports

Persephone
I saw a tender maiden plucking flowers
Once, long ago, in the bright morning hours;
And then from heaven I saw a sudden cloud
Fall swift and dark, and heard her cry aloud.
Again I looked, but from my open door
My anxious eyes espied the maid no more;
The cloud had vanished, bearing her away
To underlands beyond the smiling day.

(From a fragment by Sappho)

~ Peter 

Kyzikos_AE.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 4

• Benefactor
29 minutes ago, JAZ Numismatics said:

Can you post a few pics of the reverse with lighting from different angles?

Once I have the coin in hand, definitely. I also intend to look at it through a loupe, since I've found that often makes the difference in deciphering lettering.

FWIW, I did find that there was a city called Lagaria. It was mentioned by Strabo and founded by Phokaians in Lucania near Thourion. Technically, they did mint coins in this area of this size in bronze in the early 4th century (and even late 5th) per an earlier conversation. However, no coinage is known from Lagaria and, if there was coinage, I would expect it to have resembled somewhat that of nearby Thourion/Sybaris.

It's interesting that the Kyzikos coin I posted was attributed attributed by the dealer to Persephone/wreath, and the wreath sure appears to be grain. Perhaps this coin actually shows Demeter?  The op coin seems to have a wreath of laurel, which might suggest Apollo. 

At least another search option.

~ Peter 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Once I have the coin in hand, definitely. I also intend to look at it through a loupe, since I've found that often makes the difference in deciphering lettering.

FWIW, I did find that there was a city called Lagaria. It was mentioned by Strabo and founded by Phokaians in Lucania near Thourion. Technically, they did mint coins in this area of this size in bronze in the early 4th century (and even late 5th) per an earlier conversation. However, no coinage is known from Lagaria and, if there was coinage, I would expect it to have resembled somewhat that of nearby Thourion/Sybaris.

I believe the Phokaians founded Velia, yet another search option, although I'd swear this coin is not from Velia. It does say Magna Graecia to me.

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Phil Anthos said:

It's interesting that the Kyzikos coin I posted was attributed attributed by the dealer to Persephone/wreath, and the wreath sure appears to be grain. Perhaps this coin actually shows Demeter?  The op coin seems to have a wreath of laurel, which might suggest Apollo. 

It's a good idea to try Persephone, but I searched for her too and came up with nothing. I originally thought the obverse was Apollo, but that also brought nil. 

59 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

I believe the Phokaians founded Velia, yet another search option, although I'd swear this coin is not from Velia. It does say Magna Graecia to me.

Velia used an ethnic of YEΛHTΩN, which doesn't appear to fit my coin well. It definitely could be Magna Graecia, and I think I ruled it out too early. 

Looking a bit more at Lagaria, odds are it would either mimic Thourion or Phokaia. Phokaia minted no bronze coins with Demeter or Persephone AFAIK. They did mint some electrum with Demeter always facing left. It certainly doesn't seem a decent match.

I don't think your coin is demeter - it looks more Seleucid king to me...lalso looks like Thrace maybe Agathocles son of Lysimachos....

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6844249

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6783032

although lettering on the reverse is not quite right - maybe over-struck or doubled? and neither of these coins has the prominent border of dots on obverse.

image.png.494a02c074fb45da9f54f582df961082.png

image.png.aee0029a5cdfb2cdbebf2688875be39a.png

what's really bothering me is that I feel like I once owned this coin or perhaps even own this coin still...

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

I don't think your coin is demeter - it looks more Seleucid king to me...lalso looks like Thrace maybe Agathocles son of Lysimachos....

Thanks! That's very possible, since no city seems to be matching. I don't believe this is Agathokles, though. AFAIK two cities were renamed Agathokleia in his honor - Adramyteion and Maroneia. I have examples of both. I believe the coin you showed is Agathopolis. I have an example from that city, but of a different type.

11 hours ago, JAZ Numismatics said:

Did the seller give a catalog reference for the attribution to Adramyteion? Because AΔPA is a legitimate possibility according to that pic.

This seller is well known for not giving attributions in these auctions, though numerous times I've seen them give a date range that indicates they know the attribution, but chose not to share it. 🙂 I've purchased many coins from them that were misattributed. I agree that AΔPA is a legitimate possibility, but I've seen no examples from Adramyteion anywhere near this type.

11 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

The obverse definitely looks similar, though the denomination appears to be larger. Mine is only 10mm. It's a shame they didn't include the reverse. I'm also still not buying the attribution of Adramytion.

Edited by kirispupis

• Benefactor

Just an update that I received the coin today and had some time to look at it under a loupe. The following are my observations.

The first letter is Λ. That one is very clear.

The second letter looks to be either a Δ or an Α.

After staring at it for some time and looking at it upside down with the right light, I believe there are three letters and not four. I believe the third letter is an Μ.

There does appear to be at least one letter at the bottom right. It appears to be an Ο or a Ω.

I therefore believe the first letters spell ΛΑΜ. The two most obvious cities are Lampsakos and Lamia. I'm less inclined towards Lamia because Thessaly wasn't really known for coins this small during this period. Lampsakos seems the most likely since they minted coins with both wreaths and with Demeter.

This coin bears significant resemblance, but there's clearly no beard on my obverse. Here's a better version of it.

I'll post photos this weekend, but for now I'm leaning towards an unpublished issue of Lampsakos, though I was hoping for something more interesting...

• Like 2

• Benefactor

After some more research, I believe the safest estimate is that this is from Lampsakos. The type is similar to the Priapos type mentioned above, though the one thing that makes me hesitant is the figure on the obverse doesn't match any known Lampsakos coinage. However, the ΛΑΜ on the reverse makes it the most likely. Here is my photo of the coin along with my attribution for now.

331A2004-Edit.jpg.31b3315883d78019cfbc780fd6347267.jpg

Mysia, Lampsakos
3rd century BCE
Æ 10 mm, 1,19 g
Obv: Male bust within dotted border
Rev: ΛΑΜ within laurel wreath. Monogram(?) below
Unpublished

• Like 4

• Benefactor
6 minutes ago, Ed Snible said:

Could it be the same as this coin, which just closed on Aphrodite Art Coins auction?

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/aphroditeartcoins/browse?a=4434&l=5273526

Thanks! It's this type, combined with the legend, that pushed me to attribute mine to Lampsakos. However, I don't believe they're the same type.

• There's clearly no beard on mine, so this isn't Priapos. I believe the highest odds are Demeter, based on the prevalence of the type, but there are definitely other possibilities.
  • The wreath is quite different. Mine looks like laurel IMHO. The leaves are very small and pointed, vs on this one they appear more like ivy and large.

I purchased a copy of Dictionary of Greek Coin Inscriptions, though I doubt for this particular case it will be much help. However, I still believe Lampsakos is the most likely attribution, but I'm unsure of it.

• Like 1