Do you like overpaying for coins? I thought I didn't but ...

ambr0zie

• Benefactor

I've been shocked at the prices for decent to good quality LRB's seems to be getting pricier and pricier. With regard to Marius here's mine, I don't recall the exact cost but I do remember that it was over $300 U.S. which I thought was fair. But that may have been too much, who knows?

marius1.jpg.5848f400d6385adc02ef4f56cdeb4ab7.jpg

marius2.jpg.a065a1e17ae7b751c9064d80b5f9afa3.jpg

• Like 7

That sounds about right.

I wonder what the aqua Trajan 'should' have gone for, $80 or $90?  A couple of Domitian asses, a bit more worn, but with very attractive deep green patinas, have been kicking around numiscorner's shelves since at least 2022.  They are $80 or 90, IIRC.

However, this is me, when I find a bargain.  The good buys outweight the bad, and $150 is rinky dink, in the scheme of things.  The Nicephorus III buy, alone, more than made up for it.

onmywayrunning.gif.72fcaa59c397790bd025e76822a24fa9.gif

I guess it all depends on what one means by "overpaying." I go into every purchase thinking that I'll be overpaying, because I doubt I'll be able to sell the majority of the coins I buy for more than what I paid for them. For the most part, they're terrible investments. I accept that for coins that I really want, but I would only pay past a certain threshold even for those coins that I do really want. I don't want to waste money. Even the most awesome coins aren't worth bankruptcy or financial troubles. But I'm pretty sure that I've overpaid, from a big picture financial perspective, for every single coin that I've ever purchased.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Less than a year later, at the same auction house someone decided that 4400 CHF + fees would be the right price for this other example :

Did they forget the decimal place when they published the PR? The listed price is unbelievable!

5 hours ago, Valentinian said:

Did they forget the decimal place when they published the PR? The listed price is unbelievable!

Nope. I emailed Leu and got an answer from them confirming the ridiculous result. They couldn't believe it either. 

Q

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Posted · Supporter
3 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Nope. I emailed Leu and got an answer from them confirming the ridiculous result. They couldn't believe it either. 

Q

It's hard to believe there is one person who would be willing to pay that much for it...let alone two...

Marius is pretty tough to get for under $100 regardless of condition. I've had several but sold all but this one which cost me ~$250 as an individual purchase from Leu maybe 5 years ago. I feel it's a fair price. I would expect to pay a lot more were it not for the edge splits and slightly weak obverse strike.

Mariusantoninianussaecfelicitas.jpg.d80024d734737262433b993a9985613a.jpg

I am very much a cheapskate when it comes to coins and will usually let a coin go if I can't get it for a "great" deal. One of the few times I was fully aware of the average price of a not particularly rare issue and still happily "overpaid" was this provincial of Germanicus and Drusus from Sardes:

GermanicusandDrususSardesLydia.jpg.d581428d157f29248769adfb3aefc32f.jpg

It struck me as a "must have" because of the incredible artistry in Germanicus' portrait - which IMO is likely the best if not only realist portrait of the man to survive in any medium. The coins in poorer condition tend to sell for $30-50; I paid $180 for the better portrait.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2