It’s heeere!

lordmarcovan

Congrats, @lordmarcovan, a nice looking & impressive aureus. Here's another Nero:

Nero entered himself as competitor in many athletic events and won the title "Periodonikes" circuit-victor or victor  in all four major Games [Olympia, Delphi, Nemea and the Isthmus].  The coin with Zeus crowned in celery leaves celebrates the Nemean games.

1976629358_NeroAlexandriaZeusNemeios.jpg.2015df6fb5137ff111f5ee5097a96a98.jpg

Egypt, Alexandria, Nero, AD 54-68, BI tetradrachm, dated year 14=A.D. 67/8, scarce type

Obv: NEPΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AV, L IΔ (date), radiate head left, wearing aegis

Rev: NEMEIOΣ ZEVΣ, head of Zeus Nemeios right, crowned with celery leaves

Ref: Milne 279; Emmett 136; RPC 5308

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/nero-periodonikes

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 18

Awesome! Something magical about holding an aureus in hand! I bet few Romans actually handled one in their lifetime since it signified such a substantial amount of pay. The cool thing about a circulated one like that is that is was used to transact lots of business over its contemporary life- if only it could talk! 

Awesome addition Rob!

Edited by Kazuma78
  • Like 5
  • Yes 1

Really great coin. It's nice to get circulated coins when the portrait holds up. They're better than uncirculated in many ways, particularly for something like an aureus, which I imagine usually went almost directly from the mint into the ground.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

Wow!  Super looking coin!.....

Lovely chubby portrait and the thunderbolt clearly visible!

Sweet coin!

Will you break it out of the plastic?

1 hour ago, seth77 said:

If I had smth like this I would play with it for a few days, never let it leave my sight, sleep with it under the pillow and then straight to the bank to put it in a safe deposit box.

The bank!!!....So the dark Bank has it and not you!?.....We obviously have different ideas.....I'd rather pay more on my specified house content insurance which at 5000€ works out at 2.50 € per month and you get to look at it!.....Just a thought?

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

16 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

The most expensive coin I have owned in 46 years of collecting.  So it was exciting to unbox.

EB641B5C-2D3F-4012-BB31-4BAB02512737.jpeg

403086F0-1534-4A19-83AE-8689EF21AE4C.jpeg

F6F53E65-4F77-41D0-9C8D-D1666B171B5B.jpeg

A460716D-B41B-431A-8206-A39A99148542.jpeg

L.M., Nice score 😊! I've owned a number of coins depicting Nero, but never an aureus ☹️. Ancient gold coins are special & impart a feeling of power when holding them 😃.

• Like 3