The Ancient Greek Diet

Al Kowsky

Yesterday Philip Chrysopoulos posted an interesting article on Google, The Incredibly Diverse - And Healthy - Diet of the Ancient Greeks. The article also has an informative & amusing YouTube video attached to the article, Olive Relish. My mother's side of the family came from Sicily, so I wasn't too surprised at the similarity of the modern Sicilian diet compared to the ancient Greek diet 😉.

https://greekreporter.com/2024/02/18/incredibly-diverse-healthy-diet-ancient-greeks/

GreekKylix.webp.c3ed6e72638be73bf596eae171816a74.webp

Ancient Greeks drinking wine from a Kylix.

Greekfishplate325-290BC.webp.275989d9d61c3b1f15e2707e907070f9.webp

Greek pottery fish plate, 325-290 BC.

The-oldest-olive-tree-in-the-World.webp.12cbdd63071c95a0c1138d2b430b9e35.webp

The oldest olive tree in the world, documented by ancient writers to be over 2,000 years old, Ano Vouves, western Crete. This tree was declared a protected natural monument in 1997, & amazingly still produces olives today 🤩.

Edited by Al Kowsky
spelling correction
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

I think there are some small communities there that still speak a form of Greek, which is amazing!

Just re the olive trees, when I was last in  Akragas/Agrigento there were  beautiful groves not  far from the temples. I was gently  told off for saying "old olive tree" as apparently they planted several  trees on the same rough spot. I may be  completely wrong,  but something  like  tree sisters, so the huge  thick intertwined trunks are several trees. Perfectly possible  it was a  joke at my expense!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

I think there are some small communities there that still speak a form of Greek, which is amazing!

Just re the olive trees, when I was last in  Akragas/Agrigento there were  beautiful groves not  far from the temples. I was gently  told off for saying "old olive tree" as apparently they planted several  trees on the same rough spot. I may be  completely wrong,  but something  like  tree sisters, so the huge  thick intertwined trunks are several trees. Perfectly possible  it was a  joke at my expense!

The first time I saw a photo of this famous tree my jaw dropped 😮. Religious sects in China & Japan believe old trees are inhabited by the spirits of ancestors; I get that feeling when viewing photos of this tree....

Just now, Al Kowsky said:

The first time I saw a photo of this famous tree my jaw dropped 😮. Religious sects in China & Japan believe old trees are inhabited by the spirits of ancestors; I get that feeling when viewing photos of this tree....

there is another ancient olive tree on the Acropolis in Athens. I've never been there, but my sister-in-law scattered some of my wife's ashes beneath it. I only hope someone will do the same for me when the time comes and we can be together again for the vacation we never got to take together. 

~ Peter 

• Like 2