Coins from the Era of Marius and Sulla Discovered in Tuscany

Very interesting video. The only thing I found till now is a neolithic spearhead in my garden in my second residence, near to the of German and Luxemburg. I found also some coins in the house, build and dated 1732.  About   500 m  a Roman villa, only ruins has been excavated 50 years ago. Here a coin, showed in the video at the end :

image.png.217855a5e5db36a8c6695847a5ece0a3.png

RRC363,1d, 18 mm , 3,46 gr , as 3 uur, coined  BC

Obverse : Laureate head of Apollo r., 

reverse : Marsyas, bald-headed, walking l., with r. arm raised and holding wine-skin over l. shoulder, behind : column bearing statue of Victory, before : L.CENSOR 

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

I'm impressed by how much money they seem to have spent, at what I assume is a relatively small museum, to have a very modern-looking display.  Even though many of the coins are shown the traditional way, dramatically spilling out of an urn! I do hope that they've all been properly cataloged, so that scholars can use them together with other hoards as further evidence of minting dates.

• Like 6
  • Yes 2

On 1/26/2024 at 9:35 AM, DonnaML said:

I'm impressed by how much money they seem to have spent, at what I assume is a relatively small museum, to have a very modern-looking display.  Even though many of the coins are shown the traditional way, dramatically spilling out of an urn! I do hope that they've all been properly cataloged, so that scholars can use them together with other hoards as further evidence of minting dates.

I have to recall a museum somewhere in Alsace-Lorraine which we visited on the one family trip to Europe, in 1973.  (Guessed Colmar; that doesn't look right.)  Not far from an impressive assemblage of very early Frankish sarcophogi (earlier Merovingian, from memory), there was a case with a mass of Celtic AEs, all still chemically fused together, as found.  It's good to know that these days, it's at least possible to do better than that.

...Only a few years ago, I got to a traveling exhibit of the Dead Sea Scrolls.  The coins (Republican and early Imperial Roman predominating) were in one case, yes, spilling out of an urn.  It's easy to see how museums like this, as an esthetic gestalt for more casual viewers.  ...But why is it so necessary to relentlessly prioritize the lowest common denominator?  (...By contrast, the manuscripts and leaves were given the priority they deserved, with extensive translations of the texts.  Can't recall why I didn't get a catalogue, unless the gift shop just didn't have one.)

• Like 1

I echo Donna, I hope they have photographed and catalogued the individual coins and published them., Unlike the Museo Archaeolgica Chieti in Abruzzi where their portion of the Abruzzi Hoard IGCH 2056 still lies essentially unpublished after only 70 years. It can only be deliberate laziness or worse on their part. It was once exhibitioned by Campanella but the internet doesn't seem to work in Abruzzi and I cannot find any details, oh well!

The image is quite possibly from the exhibition and tantalisingly the object of my desires is , I think, just out of reach...bottom right. Will  I never know?

Collezione_numismatica_(Chieti).jpg

• Like 4

@NewStyleKingYou can make an accusation directly to them, or to their immediate masters.. I  know you have posted a lot about this museum, and rightly so, but  you can call them  out on it. That - say - you have heard many pieces  have gone missing and the only way to stop more getting "lost" is full disclosure.

https://ww2.gazzettaamministrativa.it/opencms/opencms/_gazzetta_amministrativa/amministrazione_trasparente/_abruzzo/_chieti

That's their administrative transparency site.  Heck, they even  took Obama through the museum, so use that 🙂

• Like 1

Has anyone had luck accessing the off-display Numismatic Museum of Athens collections?

I received a reply from them several years ago, which I initially thought helpful. It included a list of publications where their coins were recorded. After checking the publications, I was to contact the museum to make further arrangements to photograph the coins.

I soon realised I would need to find numerous hardly accessible annual publications starting from the time the museum was created. Those I found were in Greek, with no pictures and limited descriptions. The person who wrote to me must have known I would unlikely complete this task, and I fear this could only be the first of my Heracles labours to access the coins.

I tried contacting the museum twice over the years and have not received further replies.

• Like 1
  • Cry 2

I have had contact several years ago but they played my for a fool, passed on to one person onto another with non functioning e-mail details. Various permissions needed etc, until you know they have no real interest! All it would take is someone with a camera, and voila and I'm only talking about the NewStyles! It's not rocket science...it's as difficult as they want to make it.

Same as with the British Museum and its thefts by a curator and covered up by senior management. If it wasn't for an antiquities dealer spotting stuff on e-bay we would never know.  The BM management ignored the dealers warnings and eventually did their own investigations !!!. You know what that means. Anyway the ex curator is keeping schtum and it seems the police cannot investigate it no more cos a lot of the stuff wasn't logged.registered and the top BM staff guy was an old Tory minister that got the job cos he was the right kind of guy and it would be embarrassing! 

Maybe we might hear of it again, maybe not....shush its a secret...reminds me of the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons. No doubt it's sub judice which is stronger than the security of MI5/6!  

I will give it another go with the Italians!

Did a quick internet search of Campanella/Coins etc  and found nothing!

From 2018

Our offices want this procedure to be respected in order to have a record of all the images we gave to study/ to publish.
You should specify in your mail (or scanned letter) in english the theme of your study, the object of your request (you wish all the photos of all the amphora coins from this hoard?), and your aim (publication on a web site for free).

We will then provide, with an official answer, to upload the photos on a folder on google drive.

Valentina Belfiore

You get the picture........except you never will!

• Like 1

From 2021

Hi,

Some 30 months ago I enquired about the Athens New Styles in a hoard displayed in the Archaeological Museum Villa Frigerj Chieti.

I was told that a scholar was already working on the hoard, but my researches have shown that no such publication has occurred or is likely to occur since the main portion of the hoard is easy to identify, log and publish using a minimum of resources openly available.

I would be able to do this in a matter of weeks and now I am retired will do this if you supply the photographs of both sides of the Athenian New Styles and Sullan types I shall start right away. 

It is time for now for this to happen and at no cost to you just a little time.

Grazie

• Like 3
  • Clap 1