A selection of cast forgery Athenian Owls

filolif

Continuing a discussion from the Athenian Owl facebook group, here is a comparison of several owl tetradrachms, one of which we believe to be the host coin, and three of which seem to be cast fakes. I share this in hopes that people will be able to identify and call out more cast fakes when they see them. There are a number of forged owl tetradrachms that are trying to filter into the market and its important to be vigilant to avoid buying one of the fakes.

The Leu coin (sold 2018) seems to be a real coin, the other 3 including the Roma one that is in their latest E-sale, appear to be cast forgeries.
image.jpeg.0fe0bb29eeab362392cf8264c12fdcb5.jpeg

image.jpeg.ffec6cf80e270e4f177cfbbb01ad1d04.jpeg

image.jpeg.e977c63c3101b1bc35c380fb7974de30.jpeg

image.jpeg.f499a7663a501a153a6111bc5b691ea2.jpeg

Beware of fakes out there!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9
  • Cool Think 1
  • Shock 2

I wonder who bought the host coin..is he the forger? Provenance would certainly score here!  I wonder if there's a simple way of looking for previous examples taken from the likely host coin, cos if their aint, maybe we have a smoking crucible here!

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, NewStyleKing said:

I wonder who bought the host coin..is he the forger? Provenance would certainly score here!  I wonder if there's a simple way of looking for previous examples taken from the likely host coin, cos if their aint, maybe we have a smoking crucible here!

I have emailed Leu about this very thing. I don't expect to hear back but it's completely in their court to follow up and try to determine if that's the case. We won't ever have access to the buyer's information.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, filolif said:

I have emailed Leu about this very thing. I don't expect to hear back but it's completely in their court to follow up and try to determine if that's the case. We won't ever have access to the buyer's information.

It's not uncommon for cast fakes to make it to market years after the host coin specifically to make it harder to tell where they're coming from and also because the host coin is likely to sell for a lower price if some people see the casts and think it might be one and the forgers rarely want to devalue their own coins. I'd say it's equally likely the Leu 2018 consignor is making these forgeries, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, red_spork said:

It's not uncommon for cast fakes to make it to market years after the host coin specifically to make it harder to tell where they're coming from and also because the host coin is likely to sell for a lower price if some people see the casts and think it might be one and the forgers rarely want to devalue their own coins. I'd say it's equally likely the Leu 2018 consignor is making these forgeries, for whatever that's worth.

Right, it would be hard to determine if it was the buyer, the consignor or some other third party. I think if Leu cared, they might be able to start putting together enough details to discover any pattern that might emerge. If it was me and my reputation was on the line, I'd want to know if my customers were doing things like this and stop working with them.

• Like 5

I tried to sleuth a Taras  fake from a UK sale to a continental fake that happened within a few months (I'm  not being coy about the names- I have forgotten, but posted it quite a while ago.) It was much harder than I thought because I just assumed the person who bought the UK coin was the forger, but as @red_spork says it was definitely possible it was someone else, and if anyone else then most  likely the original owner. I'd need to see a pattern over time to be sure. And I could not discern one.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I agree that the first coin is very likely the host or seed coin.  The three others show soft cracks around the edges.  Indeed they are partially filled in because of the inability of a casting mold to completely replicate the edge cracks created when metal splits under the stress of a hammer blow.  

Thanks for spotting these fakes!  It sure is disconcerting that these coins slipped by some major firms.

• Like 3

It is obvious that an imprint was taken before it was photographed by the first auction. The forger is basically the person who consigned the cast coins to cng and Roma. I would not be surprised if it is the same person who consigned the original to the first auction. It's pretty easy to find out who this is.

• Like 1

It is obvious that an imprint was taken before it was photographed by the first auction. The forger is basically the person who consigned the cast coins to cng and Roma. I would not be surprised if it is the same person who consigned the original to the first auction. It's pretty easy to find out who this is.

Really? Do tell or investigate...who said coins are boring!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajax said:

It's pretty easy to find out who this is.

This is the problem - it is not easy. Good luck and please let  us know as  I've hit brick walls of plausible deniabilty when I've  tried to unearth this sort of thing. If the  original consigner can be demonstrated somehow to  have held the coin for a long time  it makes it easier, but you need the cooperation of several parties to get a name. And  the coordination of auction houses to blacklist a name or at least  publish coins  from their past sales that were connected and at risk. That's most unlikely to  happen. A spirit of friendly cooperation between houses is not something I've come across much but it would be almost essential here.  

• Like 5

Just received a response from the Chief Numismatist of Leu -- Lars Rutten.

He says that the original 2018 coin from my post was actually stolen from them in 2018 in a burglary. This is likely how it ended up with a forger.

He also included several more examples of forgery that he says were purchased by a "longstanding and serious collector". (These were also posted by @Kaleun96 above.) Therefore he believes the cast was made prior to the coin being consigned with Leu. It does sound like they try to follow up and discover any connections that might exist to track down people forging coins that are purchased from them.

He says these are great targets for forgers because people don't tend to look super closely at lower grade owls, especially since the hoard was found. Less scrutiny, more profit for them. I definitely agree. Keep an eye out for these and other forgeries like the ones @Kaleun96 posted!

00733q00.jpg

image_2024_01_25T08_40_05_316Z.png

Edited by filolif
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@filolif I hope this is somewhat related but I was told there are copies of imitative Arabian Athens owls "available" at the moment and also saw similar on the German forums where they highlight Savoca as selling what appear to be Identical copies.

These -

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/savoca/browse?a=4266&l=5045169

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/savoca/browse?a=4266&l=5045168

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

@filolif I hope this is somewhat related but I was told there are copies of imitative Arabian Athens owls "available" at the moment and also saw similar on the German forums where they highlight Savoca as selling what appear to be Identical copies.

These -

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/savoca/browse?a=4266&l=5045169

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/savoca/browse?a=4266&l=5045168

Those do appear to be identical. Not good. I’m always wary of imitations for just this reason. 

• Like 2