Value assessment: Florin d' Or for Joan I of Anjou

Prieure de Sion

Good evening. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the value of this coin? Thank you in advance.

Florin d`Or for Joan I of Anjou, 1362-1382 AD, Saint-Rémy (Provence)
Obverse: John the Baptist seen from the front with S IOH ANNES B
Reverse: Signs from Anjou and Jerusalem with COMTSA PVICE ET FORCALC
Diameter 21.5mm, Weight 3.00gramm
References: Boudeau 857, Duplessy 1672, Rolland 85

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_I_of_Naples 

florin d or.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I had already discovered that. But thanks anyway. 

The sale was in 2011, that's 10 years ago. So at that time the coin brought 1,800 euros. I would say significantly more today? But then again, it's well known that cgb.fr is a small pharmacy. A good house! But also with somewhat higher prices.

Or let's approach the matter the other way round.
Would 2,400 euros be justified for the Gold Florin? What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwarf said:

As you can see - everything is possible, depending on the day. I think the normal price should be between 1500 and 2500 euros. But as you can see - it's also possible to have a downward spiral on a bad day. Normally, the amount is in the four-digit range - but it can also go badly.

But if you consider that prices have risen again somewhat and that the results are somewhat longer ago - the amount of 2400 euros is no bargain.
But I still think it's a fair price from the seller.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 3

I don’t think you can put a more precise value on it. It’s not a common coin. Who knows what demand was like 10 years ago or what it would be like today. If you want this specific type, you don’t have any choice. If you don’t, you have more choice. Coins like this - expensive with few available - go up and down with each sale, sometimes lower than a decade ago, sometimes triple. Who wants it that day is more important than the rate of inflation.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

12 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

I don’t think you can put a more precise value on it. It’s not a common coin. Who knows what demand was like 10 years ago or what it would be like today. If you want this specific type, you don’t have any choice. If you don’t, you have more choice. Coins like this - expensive with few available - go up and down with each sale, sometimes lower than a decade ago, sometimes triple. Who wants it that day is more important than the rate of inflation.

11 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

This slabbed example sold 10 days ago at Goldberg's Auction 128. It hammered for $1,000 & had an estimate of $700-900.

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=5794596&AucID=6602&Lot=1166&Val=472ac60e487ab491131fced2086dbcbe

So in the end, anything is possible. So it's a question of whether the piece is worth it to you. So it's a difficult decision that only I can make. Thank you for all your opinions and information.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...