From the first batch of 2024 coins - a Trajan dupondius

ambr0zie

While still waiting for the 2 coins I bought on the 30th of December, today I received the coins from an auction from last Saturday (again Savoca are proving they're very difficult to beat in terms of speed).

I bought the interesting Nero/Poppaea tetradrachm from Alexandria, presented here, with the curious error on the reverse legend (probably a die clash - impossible to be 100% sure), 2 LRBs in very nice condition and a coin that is very special for me as it's from the area of collecting I tried to specialize in - Trajan coins related to Dacia. 

image.png.e5b02063299b1ae6f2e605156045938d.png

27 mm, 13,53 g.

Trajan 98-117 AD. Ӕ dupondius. Rome. 112-114 AD.

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, bust of Trajan, radiate, draped, right / DACIA AVGVST PROVINCIA S C, Dacia, seated left on rock, holding aquila; in front of her on a second rock a child holding grapes; at her side a child holding grain stalks

RIC II 623a; Woytek 468b; BMCRE 990d; Cohen 127.

This coin was very difficult to photograph and I am still not fully satisfied with the result. I have major issues with coins that are glossy and have a darker color. My camera or my phone simply can't capture this type of coins correctly. 

Original photo from the house (the coin is darker than their photo and brighter than mine)

image.png.d00756ee8eaaf7d11dde73cb55810922.png

and a video, but again with wrong colors - the coin is dark green olive - best description I can think of. 

This is my first Trajan coin showing the classic long legend with small fonts. Of course the first thing that made me  want the coin is the special reverse. Dacia and Dacians are present on Trajan coins and I have a few - but usually there are soldiers, war themes, connected themes such as the river god Danube. On this one, Dacia is "pacified" - holding an aquila and having two peaceful children near her. 

So the meaning of this coin is that Dacia became a true province and the war is left behind. 

Although the toning/color of the coin was a major pain, it is still a beauty in hand. I am a big fan of bronzes with this kind of toning. 

Let's see Trajan coins, if they are related to Dacia - even better. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 5

I am glad it went to a member here, the Trajan is a beautiful coin. It was on my radar but I was unavoidably busy for that part of the auction. I have 4 coins from that auction which I will get on Monday. Great acquisition, I am pleased for you. Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not Trajan, but Trajan Decius:

Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD. AR Antoninianus (23mm; 3.31 gm; 12h). Rome mint, 1st officina. 2nd-3rd emissions, 249-250 AD. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Dacia standing left, holding a Draco-headed staff. RSC 16.

TrajanDeciusAntDacia.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Not Trajan, but Trajan Decius:

Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD. AR Antoninianus (23mm; 3.31 gm; 12h). Rome mint, 1st officina. 2nd-3rd emissions, 249-250 AD. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Dacia standing left, holding a Draco-headed staff. RSC 16.

TrajanDeciusAntDacia.jpg

Great detail on the reverse 🤩! My example has a strong portrait & weak reverse.

JAZAuctionT.D.antoninianus(3).jpg.7992413c174330097e846966b11d22df.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent acquisition, my friend! Talk about an excellent portrait and beauuuuuutiful toning. In the video that coin just POPS!

I'm late to the party on this thread, but better add my lean, green, T-Rage machine from that place the Lawrence conquered:

Screenshot_20210109-114411_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.72065fe574aa3a841bb9cf9102f94831.png.fe3dee7251a904eb1c2f4f2ee158887b.png

RAJAN

98-117 AD. Æ Sestertius (27.50 gm). Struck circa 112-115 AD. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder / ARAB ADQVIS in exergue, Arabia standing facing, head left, holding branch and bunch of cinnamon sticks?; to left, forepart of camel standing left. RIC II 614

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great coin with a nice green patina , also an important Trajan's historical type. My first example is sharing the same reverse die with yours, looks like the die at one moment lost some details in the rock area( I compared other examples when I bought mine). I have two other dupodii, but I don't have photos with them.

Trajan AE Dupondius. RIC 623a

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS VI P P, radiate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder /

DACIA AVGVST, PROVINCIA/S C in exergue, Dacia seated left on rock, holding aquila; small children around holding grain and grapes respectively.

image.jpeg.b5f81c5c8b9a2bf2efe1e02af0406678.jpeg

image.jpeg.553c6c4fd50e79c9544377521d473821.jpeg

Edited by singig
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

I find Trajan's Dacia coinage especially interesting for the themes mentioned in the original comment: the various ways Dacia and Dacians could be depicted, from captive, to mourning personification, to kneeling supplicant, to pacified provincial personification and "friends."

Here's my "Dacian Conquest Set" so far (the "Bridge over the River Danube" bronze is an As, not Sestertius):

image.jpeg.4adc8c5db32a644166dc64da984e5b61.jpeg

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 8:40 AM, ambr0zie said:

This is my first Trajan coin showing the classic long legend with small fonts. Of course the first thing that made me  want the coin is the special reverse. Dacia and Dacians are present on Trajan coins and I have a few - but usually there are soldiers, war themes, connected themes such as the river god Danube. On this one, Dacia is "pacified" - holding an aquila and having two peaceful children near her. 

So the meaning of this coin is that Dacia became a true province and the war is left behind. 

I had no idea this "pacified Province of Dacia" type existed - thank you for the explanation @ambr0zie.  Just yesterday I got the sestertius version - it is catastrophically worn, but it was cheap and the type is indeed interesting:

image.jpeg.3c4ee7eb1f8157bffe149802e354ce97.jpeg

This comes in a draped-shoulder version (RIC 621) and bust with aegis (RIC 622).  I think mine is the aegis type - those are snakes, I think:

image.jpeg.2a43afde8b2da2d3a867a718b5980cff.jpeg

Detail:  

• Like 6

Lovely example of a historical coin! congratulations, @ambr0zie.

The video really makes the coin come alive, and one can well appreciate the nice patina.

Here are some of the coins of Trajanus in my collection, mostly related to the Dacian Wars. 

Trajan denarius Column - 1st example with high relief portrait - OBV:REV - VGP - 2022 - 2024.png

Trajan denarius Column - 2nd. example with lower relief portrait - OBV:REV - VGP - 2022 - 2024 .png

Trajan As Victoria Crowning Emperor - OBV:REV - 2022 - 2024 (in-hand) .png

Trajan As - Temple of Jupiter - Another - good - VGP - old - 2024 - BEST.png

Trajan As Bridge over Danube - OBV:REV - GP - old - 2024.png

Trajan As - SHIELD ARMS - OBV:REV - VGP - old - 2024.png

Trajan Sestertius - Emperor on Horseback spears Dacian - OBV:REV - VGP - old - 2024.png

Trajan Sestertius - Emperor on Platform greets Dacian King - OBV:REV - VGP - old - 2024.png

Trajan as Column - OBV:REV - GP! 2021 - 2024.png

Trajan Sestertius - IOM Temple - OBV:REV - old - 2024.png

Trajan Sestertius - Emperor Greets Soldiers on Platform - - OBV:REV - GP - old - 2024.png

Edited by GERMANICVS
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2