First Ancient Coin of 2024 (a Nero denarius with an interesting pedigree not mentioned in seller's description)

DonnaML

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Even though I actually purchased this in late December 2023, I'm counting it as my first ancient coin of 2024. And I thought I'd give others a place to post their own first ancients of the year if they wish. 

It's also an example of finding a pedigree not mentioned by the seller:  even though an old coin ticket naming the previous seller arrived with the coin, the ticket didn't specify the auction (probably why it wasn't mentioned in the lot description), so I had to look further to figure out which auction my coin came from. 

I do wonder if I would have had to pay more for the coin if the seller had known the exact pedigree. After I bought it, I kind of felt I had overpaid for it, given that it's in very mediocre condition with lots of wear on the devices (especially on the obverse) and scratches in the fields, as well as on the devices themselves (again, especially on the obverse) -- which, I'm sure, is why the seller graded the coin as F/VF. On the other hand, the legends are still clear, and Nero denarii other than the common SALVS and IVPPITER CVSTOS types -- both of which I have, but in far worse condition than this coin -- seem to be rather scarce, and aren't easy to find in better condition than this at anything close to a reasonable price. So in the end I think I did OK, especially in light of the pedigree I found. 

Nero, AR denarius, AD 65-66 Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, NERO CAESAR – AVGVSTVS / Rev. Hexastyle (six-columned) temple of Vesta on podium of four steps, circular and with domed roof, containing seated statue of the goddess, facing, holding patera in raised left hand and scepter in right hand; VESTA above temple.* 18 mm., 3.45 g. RIC I Nero 62, RSC II Nero 335, BMCRE I Nero 104, Sear RCV I 1946 (ill. p. 384). Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., Chicago, IL, 226th Buy or Bid Sale, Dec. 2023, Lot 395; ex NFA [Numismatic Fine Arts International, Inc.], Los Angeles, CA, Fall Mail Bid Sale Oct. 12, 1988, Lot 769, from the Collection of Dr. George C. Brauer.**

image.jpeg.c04ec0f9970385e9b5e2f7737c53df96.jpeg

Link to video: https://vimeo.com/892304479. 

*See Sear RCV I p. 383 (in the description of Nero’s aureus with the same reverse type, Sear RCV I 1933): “The celebrated temple of Vesta in the Roman Forum was destroyed in the great fire of AD 64. Nero rebuilt it and his structure, the sixth to be constructed on the site, survived until another catastrophic fire late in the reign of Commodus."

**As mentioned above,  the description of this lot in HJB's 226th BBS catalog said nothing about the coin's pedigree. However, this old coin ticket came with the coin:

image.jpeg.78c0a13ced1474c9085b0e5cfe9dc366.jpeg

I wasn't collecting ancient coins back in the day when NFA was in business, but I know enough to be aware from general reading that the initials stood for Numismatic Fine Arts International, which was owned by Bruce McNall and was one of the leading ancient coin dealers before it collapsed when he went to prison (and also employed Rob Freeman, who went on to have his own fiasco with Freeman & Sear). It was easy enough to find a lot of old NFA catalogs online through the Newman Numismatic Portal, and to figure out that NFA moved from Beverly Hills to Los Angeles sometime in 1986. So, based on the assumption that the "769" on the upper right of the coin ticket referred to a lot number, I simply started looking through all the NFA catalogs issued after the move to Los Angeles that had at least 769 lots. It didn't take very long to find the right catalog, although I fully understand that the cataloger(s) at HJB don't have the time to investigate individual lots to that extent, particularly for coins of this price level. Here are the relevant portions of NFA's catalog for the Fall 1988 Mail Bid Sale:

image.jpeg.bae723b831ab2dff61a1662418554412.jpeg

image.jpeg.35ddf7518c22b0adbbb5cb07795b586a.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e4843239d4362f92b1c36259286da50.jpeg

Definitely the same coin, as is clear from the "irregular flan" shape above all else.

Here is the catalog's biography of George Brauer (who died five years later, on Sep 27, 1993). I admit that the name was unfamiliar to me, although a Google search shows that he was fairly well-known, both as a collector of ancient coins and antiquities, and as an author of books on ancient numismatics and ancient history in general:

image.jpeg.a052755ac551f1cc1d43c702654bf090.jpeg

I was obviously pleased to be able to find this pedigree from the "clue" that HJB gave me.

Please post your own first ancient of 2024.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

That is a very respectable Nero denarius and a head start for 2024 - congratulations. The pedigree adds value, of course. 

My first coins from 2024 have not arrived yet (and most likely will not arrive this week), but I can say my start is decent - a ruler who was missing from my collection and a Renaissance coin from my favorite king. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great coin Donna! I got started in "ancients" as a result of NFA/ back in 1985. They out of the blue sent me a catalogue of their upcoming auction.  I was hooked for life/ up till then I was collecting FM proof gold coins/ sets. I ended up winning 20 beautifull coins from NFA auctions/ mostly cheaper mint state Western/ Eastern Roman solidi/ Byzantine solidi/ hyperypers/ nomismas. I was awestruck by the quality/ rare coins they handled/ Saturninus/ Laelinus/ Alexander of Carthage/ Quintillus/ Quietus aurei....all coins I could only dream off! I still maintain Tkalec/ NFA were my fav. auction houses. My first ancient was this from NFA.

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 4

Yep, NFA was big on my radar when I first started back in '88 and I loved getting their beautiful catalogs. In fact I may even have that one. 

An interesting coin and pedigree, but that it is from George Brauer’s collection is very cool too. I have his book 'Taras: It’s History and Coinage'.

Congratulations on beginning your 2024 campaign!  🙂

~ Peter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
9 minutes ago, rNumis said:

Newman does have good NFA coverage. There are a few more NFA sales listed at 

https://www.rnumis.com/house_auctions.php?house=NFA

but they're mostly hosted at gallica. While I'm grateful they've put them online, I find Newman (archive) much easier to work with.

I agree. I can still read French reasonably well, but find their search function to be somewhat baffling in trying to find catalogs and journals, even when I'm looking for something very specific and even when I use Chrome to translate everything into English.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Congrats on your first ancient of 2024 @DonnaML, a lovely Nero with satisfying provenance find!  Here's my first coin of 2024:

image.png.7451f74f464a906fe834c8b031610df1.png

Roman Imperial, Salonina (wife of Gallienus), BI Antoninianus 3.73g 21mm, minted in Samosata, AD 256-260

Obv: CORN SALONINA AVG, diademed and draped bust to right, set on crescent

Rev: CONCORDIA AVGG, emperor, Gallienus, standing to left, clasping hands with empress, Salonina, standing to right

Ref: RIC V.1 63 (Asia, joint reign); MIR 1691p; RSC 31.

Notes: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/soul-of-an-ancient-collector

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Even though I actually purchased this in late December 2023, I'm counting it as my first ancient coin of 2024. And I thought I'd give others a place to post their own first ancients of the year if they wish. 

It's also an example of finding a pedigree not mentioned by the seller:  even though an old coin ticket naming the previous seller arrived with the coin, the ticket didn't specify the auction (probably why it wasn't mentioned in the lot description), so I had to look further to figure out which auction my coin came from. 

I do wonder if I would have had to pay more for the coin if the seller had known the exact pedigree. After I bought it, I kind of felt I had overpaid for it, given that it's in very mediocre condition with lots of wear on the devices (especially on the obverse) and scratches in the fields, as well as on the devices themselves (again, especially on the obverse) -- which, I'm sure, is why the seller graded the coin as F/VF. On the other hand, the legends are still clear, and Nero denarii other than the common SALVS and IVPPITER CVSTOS types -- both of which I have, but in far worse condition than this coin -- seem to be rather scarce, and aren't easy to find in better condition than this at anything close to a reasonable price. So in the end I think I did OK, especially in light of the pedigree I found. 

Nero, AR denarius, AD 65-66 Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, NERO CAESAR – AVGVSTVS / Rev. Hexastyle (six-columned) temple of Vesta on podium of four steps, circular and with domed roof, containing seated statue of the goddess, facing, holding patera in raised left hand and scepter in right hand; VESTA above temple.* 18 mm., 3.45 g. RIC I Nero 62, RSC II Nero 335, BMCRE I Nero 104, Sear RCV I 1946 (ill. p. 384). Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., Chicago, IL, 226th Buy or Bid Sale, Dec. 2023, Lot 395; ex NFA [Numismatic Fine Arts International, Inc.], Los Angeles, CA, Fall Mail Bid Sale Oct. 12, 1988, Lot 769, from the Collection of Dr. George C. Brauer.**

image.jpeg.c04ec0f9970385e9b5e2f7737c53df96.jpeg

Link to video: https://vimeo.com/892304479. 

*See Sear RCV I p. 383 (in the description of Nero’s aureus with the same reverse type, Sear RCV I 1933): “The celebrated temple of Vesta in the Roman Forum was destroyed in the great fire of AD 64. Nero rebuilt it and his structure, the sixth to be constructed on the site, survived until another catastrophic fire late in the reign of Commodus."

**As mentioned above,  the description of this lot in HJB's 226th BBS catalog said nothing about the coin's pedigree. However, this old coin ticket came with the coin:

image.jpeg.78c0a13ced1474c9085b0e5cfe9dc366.jpeg

I wasn't collecting ancient coins back in the day when NFA was in business, but I know enough to be aware from general reading that the initials stood for Numismatic Fine Arts International, which was owned by Bruce McNall and was one of the leading ancient coin dealers before it collapsed when he went to prison (and also employed Rob Freeman, who went on to have his own fiasco with Freeman & Sear). It was easy enough to find a lot of old NFA catalogs online through the Newman Numismatic Portal, and to figure out that NFA moved from Beverly Hills to Los Angeles sometime in 1986. So, based on the assumption that the "769" on the upper right of the coin ticket referred to a lot number, I simply started looking through all the NFA catalogs issued after the move to Los Angeles that had at least 769 lots. It didn't take very long to find the right catalog, although I fully understand that the cataloger(s) at HJB don't have the time to investigate individual lots to that extent, particularly for coins of this price level. Here are the relevant portions of NFA's catalog for the Fall 1988 Mail Bid Sale:

image.jpeg.bae723b831ab2dff61a1662418554412.jpeg

image.jpeg.35ddf7518c22b0adbbb5cb07795b586a.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e4843239d4362f92b1c36259286da50.jpeg

Definitely the same coin, as is clear from the "irregular flan" shape above all else.

Here is the catalog's biography of George Brauer (who died five years later, on Sep 27, 1993). I admit that the name was unfamiliar to me, although a Google search shows that he was fairly well-known, both as a collector of ancient coins and antiquities, and as an author of books on ancient numismatics and ancient history in general:

image.jpeg.a052755ac551f1cc1d43c702654bf090.jpeg

I was obviously pleased to be able to find this pedigree from the "clue" that HJB gave me.

Please post your own first ancient of 2024.

Super coin Donna! You know how much I love those architectural types!

HJB dispersed a collection of architectural types in BBS #225, I wonder if your coin is from that same collection?

• Thanks 1