A few less-commonly seen Romans

Furryfrog02

I put some bids on some coins that I didn't think I wouldn't win but ended up winning instead. Whoops. Oh well. They filled a few holes in my collection, and in one case - filled it twice (double oops).
They are interesting to me for the fact that they are lesser known to history, only a couple paragraphs each on Wikipedia and I doubt too much more anywhere else. 

Here are they are without further ado. Feel free to add your own examples which will no doubtedly be nicer than mine 😛 Or add some other less-commonly seen Romans!

Mariniana - Probable Wife of Valerian I and mother (?) of Gallienus

MarinianaARAntoninianusCONSECRATIO.png.4de1ac43bc0bd1d6dae1816494928d3d.pngMariniana
AR Antoninianus
254-258 AD
Viminacium
Obverse: DIVAE MARINIANAE, veiled and draped bust right on crescent
Reverse: CONSECRATIO, peacock standing, head right, tail in splendour

Macrianus (Minor) - Brother of Quietus and usurper against Gallienus. I made 2 bids on 2 coins in order to hopefully win one...Now I am the owner of 2 coins of Macrianus...

MacrianusBillonAntoninianusROMAEAETERNAE2.png.9861c17af1ee901948b2b9cb23e8e17c.pngMacrianusBillonAntoninianusROMAEAETERNAE.png.598029dffbd1158d990bb12510347e10.pngMacrianus
260-261 AD
Billon Antoninianus
Obverse: IMP C FVL MACRIANVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
Reverse:  ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated left on shield, holding Victory and spear

Lastly, Hannibalianus, nephew of Constantine I, The Great, and victim of the purge of Constantine's family after his death.

HannibalianusAE16336-337ADConstantinopleasRexregumunderConstantineSECVRITASPVBLICA.png.9590c64f855fa05f545f7a3b517f38f3.png
Hannibalianus, as Rex Regum under Constantine I
AE16
336-337 AD
Constantinople
Obverse: FL HANNIBALLIANO REGI, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right 
Reverse:  SE-CVRITAS PVBLICA, Euphrates seated right on ground, holding sceptre, overturned urn at his side, from which waters flow, reed in background
Mintmark CONSS

• Like 25

1 hour ago, panzerman said:

After your post/ you sparked up my interest in your coins. Thanks to you/ I noted an AR antinonianus from Macrinus (Antioch Mint) Lucernae Auction. Now I also have one😇

You were a great inspiration😉

John

You need to share it with us when it arrives!

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Congratulations! I'm afraid I gave up on my original "at least one coin per obtainable emperor" goal early on, well before I got around to looking for a Macrianus (whom I always think is Macrinus when I see the name) or Hannibalianus. I don't have Quietus either. I do have a Diva Mariniana, perhaps the same type as yours:

image.jpeg.120ba3667c1a3fc250bb1058b5fea0de.jpeg

• Like 4

Owning coins from rare rulers is a very interesting numismatic goal. 

From the ones that are more of less obscure, I was happy to add a Procopius. The quality is not something to write stories about, but it's another name checked. 

image.png.0f807cea8eed99597a396e06df5327f3.png

20 mm, 2,38 g.
Procopius 365-366. Æ follis. Constantinople.
D N PROCO-PIVS P F AVG, bust of Procopius, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, left / REPARATI-O FEL TEMP, emperor, head right, standing facing, holding labarum in right hand and resting left on shield. At foot, left, a small indeterminate object; above, in field right, ☧ Exergue – CON […].
RIC IX Constantinople 17a.

• Like 4