tis the time of year....Merry Christmas!

panzerman

I would  here like to Wish everyone a Wonderfull Christmas Holiday! We keep the German tradition and open presents at midnight/ then eat have trays of finger foods/ liquer filled chocolates till 3:00AM/ go to bed....

Having roast goose with liver/ bread dressing/ cooked inside bird/ white asparagus/ white sauce/ ton of mashed potatos/ lots of sour cream/ philadephia cheese/ whipped very RICH.

Fresh raspberry torte for dessert.

Hopefully will get a nice coin from Santa/ did get one from Saint Nicholas!

John

• Like 15
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 4

37 minutes ago, panzerman said:

I would  here like to Wish everyone a Wonderfull Christmas Holiday! We keep the German tradition and open presents at midnight/ then eat have trays of finger foods/ liquer filled chocolates till 3:00AM/ go to bed....

Having roast goose with liver/ bread dressing/ cooked inside bird/ white asparagus/ white sauce/ ton of mashed potatos/ lots of sour cream/ philadephia cheese/ whipped very RICH.

Fresh raspberry torte for dessert.

Hopefully will get a nice coin from Santa/ did get one from Saint Nicholas!

John

That sounds great! What time should I be there?  😉

I hope all of my new friends here (and a few old ones too) have a safe and joyous holiday. Eat, drink and love your fill.

~ Peter 

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

That sounds great! What time should I be there?  😉

I hope all of my new friends here (and a few old ones too) have a safe and joyous holiday. Eat, drink and love your fill.

~ Peter 

Thanks Peter...

However my parents brought me over to Canada/ so now living on EST. But like I said we kept the German traditions/ Saint Nicholas (Dec.6th) and Weihnachtsfest 24th/ 25th. When I was five/ i ate a whole box of chocolate barrels filled with weinbrant (brandy) so I felt pretty woosy by 3:00AM. That same year/ my parents made a punch concotion=5 bottles champagne+ 6 cans of preserved peach slices in syrup=really tasty drink/ I had 3 big glasses/ first drunken episode😏 not the last.

• Like 3
  • Gasp 2
  • Shock 1

Merry Xmas from Spain @panzerman and to all the members here. We have three celebrations. The 24th for my Wifes German heritage, the 25th for mine and the 6th January for El dia de los Reyes Magos which is when presents are given out by The 3 Kings and this day is treated like Christmas Day.

Happy festivities to you all.

• Like 5
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

I love all the different local traditions. 

I'm originally from England, and then Canada and eventually here on the west coast of the US. But I miss the holiday traditions of home... goose and plum pudding with hard sauce (with silver threpenny bits inside), and of course the nog which my gran would add brandy too, then my dad not knowing she already had, then my uncle would add even more because too much was never enough. Ahhh yes.

Come to think of it I'm surprised I can remember any of this at all!

~ Peter 

• Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

Hail to European common sense! Nothing wrong with kids having beer or glass of wine with a meal/ far better then the awfull energy drinks they buy at the corner store. Goose/ Duck so much tastier then Turkey!

One of my lawn clients (that I do on Sunday mornings) always give me a shot of cognac/ when I told him to add coke he cringed. But I like it 1oz Cognac+9 oz. COKE! Everyone their own taste.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1
  • Confused 1

Merry Christmas all! 

@panzerman I am surprised that Saint Nicholas is celebrated in Germany as well - I had no idea. 

In my country, there are two good old gentlemen who bring presents to kids (and not only kids). Saint Nicholas on the 6th of December - the tradition is that children need to clean their shoes and Saint Nicholas puts presents in their shoes. 

Then on the 25th, like in almost all the world, we celebrate Christmas (Santa Claus arrives, of course, early in the morning and leaves presents under the tree). Christmas meal means a massive attack on the liver with food and drinks (I keep it easy with the drinks, though). 

Our Christmas cuisine is pretty diverse but this is always present 

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/sarmale/

For many of you this might look odd, but trust me, it's unforgettable. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 7
  • Smile 1

43 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Merry Christmas all! 

@panzerman I am surprised that Saint Nicholas is celebrated in Germany as well - I had no idea. 

In my country, there are two good old gentlemen who bring presents to kids (and not only kids). Saint Nicholas on the 6th of December - the tradition is that children need to clean their shoes and Saint Nicholas puts presents in their shoes. 

Then on the 25th, like in almost all the world, we celebrate Christmas (Santa Claus arrives, of course, early in the morning and leaves presents under the tree). Christmas meal means a massive attack on the liver with food and drinks (I keep it easy with the drinks, though). 

On the contrary, it actually looks very tempting!

And wasn't St. Nicholas originally German?

~ Peter 

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

In my Italian-American family we've (somewhat) maintained the tradition of Sette Pesci (Seven Fishes), that is, eating seven different kinds of seafood on the night of December 24.  However, we usually don't make it up to seven (that's an awful lot of work) so it still counts (for us, anyway) as long as it's an odd number (3 or 5 different seafoods).  Usually this will mean appetizers of shrimp and crab balls, and a main course of spaghetti alla vongole (spaghetti with clams) to get 3 fishes, but sometimes we make a seafood stew to bring it up to 5.  After that, we eat a dessert of Christmas cookies and drink egg nog.  Christmas morning is for opening presents while eating Christmas bread (a special loaf that contains raisins and bits of dried fruit, with a bit of icing on top), and then a Christmas feast in the afternoon which varies from year to year.  (Unlike New Year's Day, which has to include ham or pork as well as lentils, to bring luck and wealth in the new year.)

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

4 hours ago, panzerman said:

Hail to European common sense! Nothing wrong with kids having beer or glass of wine with a meal/ far better then the awfull energy drinks they buy at the corner store. Goose/ Duck so much tastier then Turkey!

One of my lawn clients (that I do on Sunday mornings) always give me a shot of cognac/ when I told him to add coke he cringed. But I like it 1oz Cognac+9 oz. COKE! Everyone their own taste.

@panzerman, No, just, No, do as much coke (right, that kind) as you need to, then do the Cognac!  Cognac is something that God made.  Pleeease, Leave it alone!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Merry Christmas all! 

@ambr0zie, never seen that before, but I'm already wanting some!  ...Is it cooked, just maybe, by grandmotherly church ladies, like the only collard greens you will ever need?  Easy to imagine that the same kind of love goes into it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

On the contrary, it actually looks very tempting!

And wasn't St. Nicholas originally German?

~ Peter 

@Phil Anthos, I guess it has to depend on whether we're looking at a given cultural tradition, vs. the historical origin.  Regarding the latter (and the eventual cultural echoes), @ambr0zie nailed it, with a mallet.  But as long as we're talking about both (and, after all, it's Christmas), you're likelier right than not.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Is it cooked, just maybe, by grandmotherly church ladies, like the only collard greens you will ever need? 

Almost every Romanian guy (or girl) who knows how to cook will cook this recipe. Even culturally and historically speaking, it is related to Turkish cuisine. Adapted a lot. 

I like eating it with a little sour cream topping (NOT sweet of course), a hot pepper and - mandatory - with polenta.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1

I'm packing up my folks' coins, ready to go.  My family does Christmas on Christmas Eve, and we rolled it up to the daytime so I wouldn't have to drive home in the dark.

While I was at Kroger, I should have gotten ingredients to recreate my grandparents' Christmas dinner.  It had ham slices, peas, au gratin potatoes (overcooked, but that's the way I like them), a side dish containing sweet pickles (little unusual), rolls, etc. I still have the Nixon-era bun warmer.

Sirius XM's holiday channels will be sorely missed; that's 75% of my listening.

• Like 2

Thank you for the best wishes, @panzerman. The same back for everyone else here! For me, the holidays present an excuse to enjoy a very long weekend. Though I admittedly enjoy the change in season and decorations everywhere, I've never really celebrated the holidays myself in any personal way.

A coin-based Christmas opportunity was missed this year, though. I ordered a Byzantine Anonymous Follis, Class B, with a decent portrait of Christ on it. Originally, the mail system said it would arrive on December 23rd, but it unfortunately missed and will now arrive on the 26th. I considered confusing my family by bringing the coin to dinner and passing it around (there are no fellow coin collectors in the lot and I've never been one to pass around religious symbols), but the postal system didn't accommodate that particular whimsy. So much for that.

I did observe Three Kings some years ago in Uruguay. I, the only native English speaker in the group, exchanged presents with others sharing a cabin overlooking the ocean. It was fantastic. We drew names and the poor person who chose me cursed his luck. He said "why did I have to draw the hardest one?!" 😄

Lastly, having read a lot about Germany above, I do faithfully observe a tradition begun by a German YouTuber... PIGMAS!

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, expat said:

The same happened to me. I was looking forward to 7 coins arriving this past week. Not one came for coinmas. Oh well, something to look forward to.

Hopefully they will arrive before New Years Day!

I lost track/ think I have 15 coming my way from Germany/ Italy/ Spain/ San Marino/ Dubai/ Netherlands/ Switzerland/ Austria/ Norway.

• Like 1