So, Is this Constantine a 'fake', too?

Topcat7

• Topcat7 changed the title to So, Is this Constantine a 'fake', too?

This is a Constantine II coin, not Constantine I (just to clarify). It's minted in Thessalonica (if I'm seeing the mintmark correctly as SMTSA)

https://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.7.thes.199

Constantine II Gloria Exercitus coins are very common - especially in a modest condition. I don't see the point of faking this coin - it's more expensive to produce it than sell it. I really don't think somebody would do this.

*** but I've seen reproductions of modern coins where the original costs 1 or 2 euros. So I wouldn't be surprised if the smart guys start producing this kind of forgeries. 

My personal advice is not to buy this coin - not because it might be fake, but because you can easily find a decent example, without any kind of effort. 

Here is a Constantine II from Siscia, in a much better shape, even if imperfect. 

image.png.1bcf4510151466f192d3cb1f4e51e7d7.png

I paid 7 euros for it. 

• Like 5
  • Cool Think 1

Thank-you guys. I bought a coin from this seller; which you identified as 'fake'. Ebay refunded me and I left 'negative' feedback. The seller attempted to get me to revise the feedback by sending me four more coins, and a request.

Clearly the four coins he sent to me, hoping that they would encourage me to do his bidding, didn't work, as I did not revise the negative feedback.

Thank you anyway. Much appreciated. (Welcome to the 21st Century where all is not as it seems.)

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This coin is also fake a cast copy. There are several sellers (shipping from the UK?) selling cast copies of even very low value coins. Since it is a cast copy of an original coin, and has good "makeup" I can see how it can be deceiving.

I first stumbled on these sellers when I searched for Victorinus on eBay and found two identical cast copies of an uninteresting low value coin listed right after each other!

fake lrb.jpg

ebay search.png

• Like 6

Just for information whilst they all purport to be in th UK the majority of these sellers actually post from Bulgaria though there are a few who actually post from the UK. They all have a wide range of cast fakes all the way though to LRB and on into Byzantine and into Celtics. Coins that a few years ago might have been though as not worth faking are now being cast. There are artefacts too/ There are probably about half a dozen or so sellers with the same base stock on repeat sale over and over again. There are artefacts too. WIth volumes of sales into hundred of coins sold per month and an average selling price of about £10 it must be worth their while.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, expat said:

not worth faking.

i was of that school of thought but then a peep showed a bunch of  'cheap-if-ther're-real LRB"s' that WERE fake......just sayin'....:)...but i do believe Topcats is legit...

• Like 2

@Topcat7A double die match with the same flan shape, wear pattern etc. as the example illustrated by @Postvmvs is a red flag. This in itself could be accepted if it were the same coin but coming from a known fake seller the odds are diminishing.

A more definitive answer would come out if we found another matched example.

Here we go.

CIIOBV.jpg.4fe9339e84ab980a9e17c1701852f081.jpgCIIrev.jpg.081a605e667f59f23124e965f528a85a.jpg

So I have to disagree with @ominus1 here and say that it is fake.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

34 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

So I have to disagree with @ominus1 here and say that it is fake.

it very well could be(and lQQks as tho it is)...as  said, i've been schooled on this before....:)..never underestimate the forgers...

Edited by ominus1