A question for the experts. Julius Caesar Denarius

ChrisB

Hello all. I rarely (almost never) post on anything other than world coins and medals. My expertise lies in German States coinage. That said a coin of Julius Caesar has always been a bucket list type coin, with the type below my preference. This coin was offered to me today at a reasonable price but the dealer is someone that, like myself, deals mostly with world coins. I was hoping a few of you would give me an opinion on authenticity. It appears that the weight is correct. 

Another concern, he had is listed as an S1399. It appears to me that all of these have a beaded border on both the obverse and reverse which this has on neither. It could be attributed to the smaller diameter but you would think at least some of it would show. 

17.5mm
3.9g

image.jpeg.093ab975439f912ee4fbbc6a299e5e1a.jpeg

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Ryro said:

The "soapy" look and casting bubbles are the giveaway that this is a modern forgery. But then it's like they wanted to make sure you know you've got a fake with how they've filed the edges, as they e couldn't tell it was cast. 

I'm not usually very confident in my opinions on authenticity, but I agree with @Ryro. This one looks like a pretty obvious fake to me.

• Like 2
  • Yes 2

First. The coin makes my stomach feel uneasy - but I look at my phone and need to take a closer look.

BUT...

Secondly. This Caesar type is probably one of the most fake type (for tourists). There are a lot of "tourist" fakes of this type - so even as a dealer I rarely dare to buy this type.

IF you buy this type, then only from dealers or auction houses who know their craft 100% when it comes to antique coins. And even then I let 1-2 neutral experts look at it again.

Third. My opinion - the price is not good for the condition. Regardless of whether it is real or fake. The price is completely too high for the quality.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Third. My opinion - the price is not good for the condition. Regardless of whether it is real or fake. The price is completely too high for the quality.

I didn't see any rference to the price other than reasonable 🙄

Doesn't look good to me either

Q

• Yes 1