Bronze Disease - what is the current recommended therapy?

GregH

I have a couple of patients with suspected BD possibly requiring treatment. What's the recommended regimen these days?

Does anyone have any good experiences?

I know we're supposed to keep these patients in isolation so they don't infect other coins.

• Like 1

Certain types of soils, where the coin was submerged, have chloride salts present. The reaction between chlorides and the bronze, copper of the coin causes bronze disease. Like a triangle of requirements for fire, bronze disease needs chloride, water and oxygen. Take away one of these and the process will be delayed/halted but any damage done will remain. So, as @Ryro says above, a bath in distilled water is best while you try to ascertain what are the next best steps.

Edited by expat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CPK said:

Sodium sesquicarbonate works very well, but it can be harsh on a coin.

It really can be harsh - like eroding the coin further even where there isn't bronze disease. Best used as a last resort. I think distilled water can actually do quite a lot to stop it, maybe even permanently, although the bronze disease will continue eating the coin a little more during treatment. Then you just need to keep it dry and away from chlorides.

• Like 2

Distilled water supposedly leeches out the chlorides that cause bronze disease. Soak coins for 1-2 months +, changing the distilled water every so often, then dry thoroughly. I also store all of my ancient coins with color-changing silica packs, (Use orange colored not blue! blue contains cobalt chloride). Keeping your coins in a dry environment is one of the best ways to preserve them.