Two Napoleon medals (depicting Josephine & Marie Louise), on the occasion of the new Ridley Scott movie's release

DonnaML

• Benefactor

Not that I necessarily plan to see the movie, at least in a theater -- I don't have the patience to sit through long movies anymore! Whether it's the new Scorsese movie, or Oppenheimer, or anything else. Plus, the reviews of this one are decidedly mixed.

But the premiere in Paris the other day gave me an excuse to finally begin to write up the handful of Napoleon medals I've bought this year. 

Here are two to start; I'll add the several others when I can.

These two are quite unusual, in that they're both original early-19th century uniface medallions made of lead, generally known as "clichés," produced by Bertrand Andrieu (1761-1822), and almost certainly sold originally at his shop in Paris. (The others I'll be posting are standard two-sided medals.)

As explained at the late David Block’s old website (see https://web.archive.org/web/20110808192011/http://fortiter.napoleonicmedals.org/miscellany/cliches.htm), “Numismatic clichés are uniface impressions made from engraved dies. . . . The first sort is made by the engraver when he is carving a die. Since he is working on a negative image, he may want to see how the positive image will look. To do this he makes a puddle of molten tin or lead on his workbench and presses the unfinished die into it. . . .

The French kings did not allow the private striking of medals, so medal engravers who wanted to sell copies of their work began producing a second sort of cliché. Using a machine called a clichoir they forced a soft medal (usually lead) into their completed dies, creating uniface medallions. These clichés were usually colored to imitate bronze. . . . The famous engraver [Bertrand] Andrieu had a shop in Paris where cliches from his dies were sold. The individual impressions which were sold were mounted in more or less elaborate frames, but there were also sets made up of several clichés, mounted in cases, most of which have the outward appearance of being books.”

Most of these “books” are believed to have been assembled and published for the British market, some years after the fall of Napoleon. For a photo of one such book, with links to descriptions of the individual medals it contains, see Benjamin Weiss’s website at http://www.historicalartmedals.com/MEDAL%20WEB%20ENTRIES/FRANCE/NAPOLEONIC%20MEDALS/ANDRIEU-BOXED%20SET-BW388%20HIGH.htm.

See also the discussion in David Thomason Alexander’s recent book A Napoleonic Medal Primer (2022) at p. 66:

“These bronzed Lead medals are continuations of engraver Bertrand Andrieu’s profitable series beginning with uniface medallions on such events as the Fall of the Bastille and the Return of the Royal Family to Paris. Public sale of such pieces brought the artist fame and wealth. . . . These Cliché medallions were intended for wall display in brass frames under domed glass covers or lunules. Unprotected specimens quickly acquired edge nicks and field scratches on their soft surfaces. [One (illustrated) specimen’s] reverse bears traces of old glued paper as often seen on contemporary Lead medal or pattern coin splashers of this era. . . . Sale of sets and single examples of Andrieu’s Clichés continued for years after Napoleon’s downfall despite the vigorous official opposition of the restored Bourbons.” 

I own two of Andrieu’s uniface lead cliché medallions, one of them plain lead and the other one bronzed lead. (One sometimes sees references to these uniface medallions as “lead-filled bronze,” as if a bronze shell were created first and subsequently filled with lead, but that does not appear to be an accurate description given the existence of plain lead specimens like mine without a bronze coating.) 

First, the Empress Joséphine (1763-1814) (married Napoleon 1796, crowned as Empress 18 May 1804, marriage annulled 10 Jan 1810):

France, PB (Lead) Uniface Cliché Medallion, Joséphine Bonaparte, Empress and Queen, First Empire, 1805, by Bertrand Andrieu. Obv. Draped bust of Joséphine right wearing diadem, necklace, and drop earrings, JOSEPHINE - IMP. ET REINE. around, signed ANDRIEU, F. [fecit] on truncation / Rev. Uniface. 67.5 mm., 66.20 g. Bramsen I 476 p. 78 [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grandou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. I, 1799-1809, at p. 123  (Copenhagen 1904), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Julius 1506 p. 93 [Sammlung Dr. [Paul] Julius, Heidelberg: Französische Revolution Napoleon I. und seine Zeit : Medaillen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Münzen (Auktion 11 Jan. 1932, Otto Helbing Nachf., München, Auktions-Katalog 66), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Todd p. 162 (ill. at same page) [Richard A. Todd, Napoleon’s Medals: Victory to the Arts (The History Press, UK, 2009)]; Alexander 42 p. 66 (ill. p. 67) [David Thomason Alexander, A Napoleonic Medal Primer (2022)]; Trésor Numismatique 7.13 p. 16, ill. Planche VII No. 13 [Paul Delaroche, Henriquel Dupont & Charles Lenormant, eds., Trésor de numismatique et de glyptique, Vol. 18, Collection de Médailles de L’Empire Français et de L’Empereur Napoleon (1840), available at gallica.bnf.fr]; Benjamin Weiss Collection BW 390 (see photo & description at http://www.historicalartmedals.com/MEDAL%20WEB%20ENTRIES/FRANCE/NAPOLEONIC%20MEDALS/ANDRIEU-JOSEPHINE-BW390%20HIGH.htm ) . Purchased 7 Nov. 2023 from www.cgb.fr.

JosephineUnifacemedalAndrieu180568mm.BramsenI476p.78Julius1506p.93TresorNum.7_13p.16WeissBW390D.T.Alexander42p_67.jpg.727ffcd9d6d99dfe7ae28376085d246f.jpg

As I have it displayed (glass dome removed for photo):

Josephineunifacemedallionondisplaystand.jpg.4707ac6715bbcd45f9cd6d78f039778f.jpg

Second, Napoleon with his second wife, the Empress Marie-Louise (1791-1847), daughter of Francis II of Austria. He married her by proxy on 11 March 1810 in Vienna; their civil marriage took place in Compiègne, France on 1 April, 1810, and the religious ceremony was held the next day, 2 April, 1810, in a chapel in the Louvre:

France, Bronzed PB (Lead) Uniface Cliché Medallion, Napoleon Bonaparte and Marie-Louise, First Empire, 1810, by Bertrand Andrieu. Obv. Conjoined busts left, in high relief, of Napoleon, laureate, and Marie-Louise, diademed; on truncation of Napoleon’s bust, signed ANDRIEU FECIT • / Rev. Uniface (with remnants of original early-19th century paper label with handwritten name “David Davies”). 140 mm., 808 g. (28.5 oz.). Trésor Numismatique 42.1 p. 87, ill. Planche XLII No. 1 (140 mm., assigning date 31 Dec. 1810 to medal) [see above for full citation to this book]; Bramsen II 1001 p. 12 (citing Trésor Numismatique 42.1 but giving diameter as 125 mm.) [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grandou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. II, 1810-1815 (Copenhagen 1907), available at Newman Numismatic Portal];  Prince d’Essling 1300 p. 115 (not illustrated, described as 133 mm.) [Feuardent Frères et Jules Florange, Importante Collection de Monnaies et Médailles, Napoléon I, etc., Appartenant au Prince d’Essling (Paris, Hôtel Drouot, Jun 1927) (Two Vols., 68 Plates)]; Benjamin Weiss Collection BW 376 (see photo & description at http://www.historicalartmedals.com/MEDAL%20WEB%20ENTRIES/FRANCE/NAPOLEONIC%20MEDALS/ANDRIEU-MARRIAGE%20OF%20NAPOLEON%20TO%20MARIE%20LOUISE-BW376%20HIGH.htm ); Jean Babelon & Jean Roubier, Portraits en Médailles (Paris 1946), ill. Planche xxxix (140 mm.); cf. Julius 2336 p. 142 & Pl. 36 (described as Gilded bronze; 154 mm. with brass frame) [see above for full Julius citation].  Purchased 18 April 2023 from Strack’s Antiques (Milwaukee Auction House LLC), Hales Corners, WI.

NapoleonMarieLouiseunifacemedalAndrieu140mm.TresorNum_XLII_1p.87Essling1300Babelon1946Pl.XXXIX.jpg.269336e4277ce183973495bc1396caa4.jpg

Detail showing Andrieu's signature:

NapoleonMarieLouiseunifacemedalAndrieu140mm.TresorNum_XLII_1p.87Essling1300Babelon1946Pl.XXXIX(8).jpg.518d9f3f2220308b91807b4349bc6243.jpg

The reverse, showing the remnants of the glued paper label (the small descriptive label is the seller's; its 1812 date is not consistent with the reference works I consulted). I wish more of the original label had been preserved or that I could read anything of what's left other than the name David Davies.

NapoleonMarieLouiseunifacemedalAndrieu140mm.TresorNum_XLII_1p.87Essling1300Babelon1946Pl.XXXIX(3).jpg.9c5e6df41c6769a3975b9c494fcba4eb.jpg

NapoleonMarieLouiseunifacemedalAndrieu140mm.TresorNum_XLII_1p.87Essling1300Babelon1946Pl.XXXIX(9).jpg.77f1bf9178d860ea6a27a096f801b853.jpg

On display, with glass dome removed:

image.png.445eee81d79c0628cda12ce04e5ba6df.png

The two together, to show how much bigger the Napoleon/Marie-Louise medallion is than the Josephine:

2Unifacemedallions(JosephineandNapoleonMarieLouise)ondisplaystands1.jpg.08490671c7c8843c1f4bd8b0e3d0613b.jpg

Please post anything numismatic relating to Napoleon or his Empresses.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

Wonderful medals and write up!

Though, I'm a bit more excited to see this one I too will not be seeing this one in theaters. 

Napoleon was a pig when it came to women. Apparently due to the MANY rejections he faced in his early life. Sadly, Josephine, the only women he seemed to share true love with, despite ups and downs, he would reject due to her not providing him an heir.

So, he leaves her for a young trollip who cheats on and rejects him in his time of need. 

He wore size sevens. 

1123068_1586268313.l.jpg.f63416107f0f3a0c86f7a2d83a424e21.jpg

Napoléon FRANCE,PremierEmpire. 1804-1814. AR Medal (35mm, 24.11 g, 12h). On the Coronation Festival at the City Hall of Paris. By N.G.A. Brenet. Dated AN XIII (1804/5). NAPOLEON JOSEPHINE ., jugate busts of Napoleon, laureate, and Josephine, draped and wearing tiara and necklace, right; BRENET below /

FIXA PERENNIS IN ALTO SEDES., laureate eagle nesting facing in mountainous terrain on branches of laurel and oak, head right, with wings displayed; BRENET below talon; FÊTES DU COURONNEMENT/DONNÉES/À L’HOTEL DE VILLE/AH XIII. in four lines in exergue. Bramsen 359. Toned, minor marks and hairlines. EF.

Ex: Monnaies d’Antan

IMG_2604(1).PNG.e29d1d9859fc96169ac7398b034f47e9.PNG

Napoleon Bonaparte, J. Andrieu e D. Denoy, France, 1810, Argento, g 36,35, mm 40,00, D/ (The busts of Napoleon and Maria Louise, to right)

Below the cutting of the neck: ANDRIEU F . / DENOY D.

R/ NAPOLEON IMP. ET ROI M. LOUISE D’AUTRICHE

(Napoleon and Marie Louise are holding hands, old clothes, next to an altar decorated with a bow and arrow and the text: J. JOUANNIN)

In exergue: Ir . AVRIL . M . DCCCX / DENON . D .

Medal for the marriage of Napoleon and Marie Louise of Austria April 2nd 1810. Ex: in Asta

• Like 10
  • Yes 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@DonnaML This thread has inspired me to pull out my sole Napoleonic medal (sadly, only a restrike) for new pictures.

The French sure knew how to make beautiful medals! 🤩

NapoleonMedalAusterlitz.jpg.9b79acbacc37bed43df0183af04c2197.jpg

NAPOLEON BONAPARTE, 1804-1814

AE Medal (41.30mm, 35.40g, 12h)

Modern restrike

Obverse: NAPOLEON EMP. ET ROI., laureate head of Napoleon, ANDRIEU F. on neck truncation

Reverse: BATAILLE * D'AUSTERLITZ around elaborate winged thunderbolt; · II · DEC · M · DCCCV XI · FRIM · AN · XIV ·, JALEY F. in cartouche below

Bramsen 445
A modern restrike of a medal minted in 1805/6, commemorating Napoleon's victory at the Battle of Austerlitz.

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

@Ryro, according to what I've read about the movie, it's Josephine who two-times Napoleon each time he leaves on another military campaign, by taking a new lover 30 seconds later!

Here is one more "new" (in the sense of not having written it up until now) Napoleonic medal for tonight: one of the official two-sided medals issued for the April 1810 Paris wedding of Napoleon and Marie-Louise -- the civil marriage on 1 April, and the religious ceremony in a chapel at the Louvre the next day.

France, AE Medal, First Empire, Marriage of Napoleon and Marie-Louise, Paris 1810. Artists: Jean-Bertrand Andrieu, N.G.A. Brenet, and Dominique-Vivant Denon (signed ANDRIEU F.[ECIT] on obverse neck truncation of Napoleon; on reverse, signed BRENET F.[ECIT] to lower left and DENON D.[IREXIT] to lower right). Obv. Conjoined heads right of Napoleon, laureate, and Marie-Louise, diademed (anepigraphic except for Andrieu signature) / Rev. Napoleon, laureate, in costume of Roman Emperor, paladumentum over right shoulder, stands facing, head right, gazing at Marie-Louise next to him, his left arm around her; Marie-Louise, crowned and veiled, wearing long transparent gown,* stands with her face turned towards Napoleon, their right hands joined; immediately to the left of the couple, an altar lit with vestal flame, decorated on front with bow and quiver of Cupid, crossed over flaming torch of Hymen upright, NAPOLEON EMP. ET ROI – M. LOUISE D’AUTRICHE; in exergue, MDCCCX. 32 mm., 16.2 g. Trésor Numismatique 39.4 p. 84, ill. Planche XXXIX No. 4 [Paul Delaroche, Henriquel Dupont & Charles Lenormant, eds., Trésor de numismatique et de glyptique, Vol. 18, Collection de Médailles de L’Empire Français et de L’Empereur Napoleon (1840), available at gallica.bnf.fr]; Bramsen II 954 p. 4 [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grandou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. II, 1810-1815 at p. 35 (Copenhagen 1907), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Zeitz 111, p. 204, ill. p. 206 [Lisa & Joachim Zeitz, Napoleons Medaillen (Petersberg Imhof 2003)]; Todd p. 170, rev. ill. p. 171 [Richard A. Todd, Napoleon’s Medals: Victory to the Arts (The History Press, UK, 2009)]; Laskey CXI p. 183 (description at id. CX p. 182) [Capt. J.C. Laskey, A Description of the Series of Medals Struck at the National Medal Mint by Order of Napoleon Bonaparte (London 1818), available on Google Books]; Julius 2264 p. 138 [Sammlung Dr. [Paul] Julius, Heidelberg: Französische Revolution Napoleon I. und seine Zeit : Medaillen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Münzen (Auktion 11 Jan. 1932, Otto Helbing Nachf., München, Auktions-Katalog 66), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Prince d’Essling 1288, ill. Pl. xxxix [Feuardent Frères et Jules Florange, Importante Collection de Monnaies et Médailles, Napoléon I, etc., Appartenant au Prince d’Essling (Paris, Hôtel Drouot, Jun 1927) (Two Vols., 68 Plates)]. Purchased 21 Apr. 2023 from Binders GOLD & SILBER e.K, Vaihingen an der Enz, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.**

image.png.a46baa0ef95c2987342e4a092fd2f855.png

*See Zeitz p. 204: “Sie trägt ein unter der Brust geschnürtes, langes durchsichtiges Kleid, Schleier und Krönchen.” [She wears a long, transparent dress laced under her breasts, a veil and a crown.]

**At p. 170, Todd quotes the mint Director Dominique-Vivant Denon’s correspondence with the Emperor’s administration regarding the design of this medal: “Denon’s reply to Daru, Napoleon’s Grand Marshal of the Palace, describes the medal for the wedding already in the process of execution. On the obverse are the conjoined heads of the Emperor and the Empress and on the reverse ‘the Emperor in heroic costume conducting the Empress to the altar of Hymen.’ . . . . A letter to Daru of 8 March 1810 gives the total number of wedding medals finally struck – 85,000 in gold, silver, and bronze [70,000 of them 15 mm. in silver]. These were distributed to princes, ambassadors, persons of the emperor’s household, officials of the provinces and workers in the mint. The tiny 15 mm. pieces were thrown to the crowds in public places.”

Perhaps I'm imagining things, but to me, from the expression on her face and from what she's wearing -- given that one can practically "see everything"! -- Marie-Louise looks kind of like a sacrificial virgin preparing herself to be thrown into a volcano. Or into the flaming altar of Hymen, as the case may be.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

@Ryro, according to what I've read about the movie, it's Josephine who two-times Napoleon each time he leaves on another military campaign, by taking a new lover 30 seconds later!

Here is one more "new" (in the sense of not having written it up until now) Napoleonic medal for tonight: one of the official two-sided medals issued for the April 1810 Paris wedding of Napoleon and Marie-Louise -- the civil marriage on 1 April, and the religious ceremony in a chapel at the Louvre the next day.

France, AE Medal, First Empire, Marriage of Napoleon and Marie-Louise, Paris 1810. Artists: Jean-Bertrand Andrieu, N.G.A. Brenet, and Dominique-Vivant Denon (signed ANDRIEU F.[ECIT] on obverse neck truncation of Napoleon; on reverse, signed BRENET F.[ECIT] to lower left and DENON D.[IREXIT] to lower right). Obv. Conjoined heads right of Napoleon, laureate, and Marie-Louise, diademed (anepigraphic except for Andrieu signature) / Rev. Napoleon, laureate, in costume of Roman Emperor, paladumentum over right shoulder, stands facing, head right, gazing at Marie-Louise next to him, his left arm around her; Marie-Louise, crowned and veiled, wearing long transparent gown,* stands with her face turned towards Napoleon, their right hands joined; immediately to the left of the couple, an altar lit with vestal flame, decorated on front with bow and quiver of Cupid, crossed over flaming torch of Hymen upright, NAPOLEON EMP. ET ROI – M. LOUISE D’AUTRICHE; in exergue, MDCCCX. 32 mm., 16.2 g. Trésor Numismatique 39.4 p. 84, ill. Planche XXXIX No. 4 [Paul Delaroche, Henriquel Dupont & Charles Lenormant, eds., Trésor de numismatique et de glyptique, Vol. 18, Collection de Médailles de L’Empire Français et de L’Empereur Napoleon (1840), available at gallica.bnf.fr]; Bramsen II 954 p. 4 [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grandou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. II, 1810-1815 at p. 35 (Copenhagen 1907), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Zeitz 111, p. 204, ill. p. 206 [Lisa & Joachim Zeitz, Napoleons Medaillen (Petersberg Imhof 2003)]; Todd p. 170, rev. ill. p. 171 [Richard A. Todd, Napoleon’s Medals: Victory to the Arts (The History Press, UK, 2009)]; Laskey CXI p. 183 (description at id. CX p. 182) [Capt. J.C. Laskey, A Description of the Series of Medals Struck at the National Medal Mint by Order of Napoleon Bonaparte (London 1818), available on Google Books]; Julius 2264 p. 138 [Sammlung Dr. [Paul] Julius, Heidelberg: Französische Revolution Napoleon I. und seine Zeit : Medaillen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Münzen (Auktion 11 Jan. 1932, Otto Helbing Nachf., München, Auktions-Katalog 66), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Prince d’Essling 1288, ill. Pl. xxxix [Feuardent Frères et Jules Florange, Importante Collection de Monnaies et Médailles, Napoléon I, etc., Appartenant au Prince d’Essling (Paris, Hôtel Drouot, Jun 1927) (Two Vols., 68 Plates)]. Purchased 21 Apr. 2023 from Binders GOLD & SILBER e.K, Vaihingen an der Enz, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.**

image.png.a46baa0ef95c2987342e4a092fd2f855.png

*See Zeitz p. 204: “Sie trägt ein unter der Brust geschnürtes, langes durchsichtiges Kleid, Schleier und Krönchen.” [She wears a long, transparent dress laced under her breasts, a veil and a crown.]

**At p. 170, Todd quotes the mint Director Dominique-Vivant Denon’s correspondence with the Emperor’s administration regarding the design of this medal: “Denon’s reply to Daru, Napoleon’s Grand Marshal of the Palace, describes the medal for the wedding already in the process of execution. On the obverse are the conjoined heads of the Emperor and the Empress and on the reverse ‘the Emperor in heroic costume conducting the Empress to the altar of Hymen.’ . . . . A letter to Daru of 8 March 1810 gives the total number of wedding medals finally struck – 85,000 in gold, silver, and bronze [70,000 of them 15 mm. in silver]. These were distributed to princes, ambassadors, persons of the emperor’s household, officials of the provinces and workers in the mint. The tiny 15 mm. pieces were thrown to the crowds in public places.”

Perhaps I'm imagining things, but to me, from the expression on her face and from what she's wearing -- given that one can practically "see everything"! -- Marie-Louise looks kind of like a sacrificial virgin preparing herself to be thrown into a volcano. Or into the flaming altar of Hymen, as the case may be.

That's historically accurate then. She did step out on him early. Then they reconciled. Then he on her. But they forgave and seemed happy for a time. He was, unfortunately, extremely sexist from fairly early on, according to numerous quotes. It may have been an awkward sexism where he was trying to identify with his soldiers and spoke like a buffoon or maybe he genuinely underestimated the sexier sex. Idk. But his and Josephine's relationship was... complicated. 

Here's the complex man on a massive medal:

IMG_0810.jpg.2bd6de1b0e68b13be02c34da3c2f484e.jpg

Napoleon I. Bonaparte,

France, 1804-1814, 1815, one. Br.-Hohlmed. O.J. unsigned. Uniform. Brb. Napoleon I. r. 65mm. vz

Former: Emporium Hamburg

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
8 minutes ago, Ryro said:

That's historically accurate then. She did step out on him early. Then they reconciled. Then he on her. But they forgave and seemed happy for a time. He was, unfortunately, extremely sexist from fairly early on, according to numerous quotes. It may have been an awkward sexism where he was trying to identify with his soldiers and spoke like a buffoon or maybe he genuinely underestimated the sexier sex. Idk. But his and Josephine's relationship was... complicated. 

Here's the complex man on a massive medal:

IMG_0810.jpg.2bd6de1b0e68b13be02c34da3c2f484e.jpg

Napoleon I. Bonaparte,

France, 1804-1814, 1815, one. Br.-Hohlmed. O.J. unsigned. Uniform. Brb. Napoleon I. r. 65mm. vz

Former: Emporium Hamburg

Another uniface medallion? What's it made of?

• Yes 1

Some amazing medals, @DonnaML, replete with the numismatic and historical erudition that many of us have learned to joyfully anticipate from you.

...Just for one, though, I need to second your opening observation,

"Not that I necessarily plan to see the movie, at least in a theater -- I don't have the patience to sit through long movies anymore! Whether it's the new Scorsese movie, or Oppenheimer, or anything else. Plus, the reviews of this one are decidedly mixed."

From here, you nailed it.  On the basis of 'Kingdom of Heaven' (the one about the fall of Frankish Jerusalem), I have to think that Ridley Scott is one of the best directors who are still around.  --That one is riddled with wanton historical fiction, but it's done with a measure of restraint, at least for the medium, and in a way that almost invites you to spot it.  As such, it's easily the best movie set in a real medieval context (thank you, no dragons) that I've ever seen.

But to your point, who even has time to sit in front of two hours of any of this?  Especially when no one I know has enough either to apprehend or process the reality that's unfolding in front of us in real time.  ...Never mind what can be known about any given historical context.

...Returning to the Napoleonic one, @Ryro's observations are particularly apt.

That's historically accurate then. She [right, Josephine]  did step out on him early. Then they reconciled. Then he on her. But they forgave and seemed happy for a time. He was, unfortunately, extremely sexist from fairly early on, according to numerous quotes. It may have been an awkward sexism where he was trying to identify with his soldiers and spoke like a buffoon or maybe he genuinely underestimated the sexier sex. Idk. But his and Josephine's relationship was... complicated. 

From memory, the one biography I read as a kid quoted some primary source, saying that intimate relations between Napoleon and Josephine were along these lines.  

"He makes love fast and hard." Like a fireman putting out a fire," said Josephine about her husband's sexual skills.  (Found online here.  https://www.slobodenpecat.mk/en/napoleon-na-kolena-pred-besramnata-vdovica-go-izneveruvala-postojano-no-toj-bil-magjepsan-od-nejzinite-veshtini-vo-krevetot/ )

From that point, speculation is useless --anything else I could say would be intuitively obvious, and correspondingly redundant.  But maybe you can sympathize with Josephine.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

And this 1800 dated....I can't remember the word for it. I seen several of these listed for sale since I bought mine. 

image.jpeg.aafee93a3906df555eb7f090a6a64e50.jpeg

@ChrisB, I believe your second medal is a uniface cliché medallion by Andrieu commemorating the Battle of Marengo (here spelled Maringo) on 25 Prairial An VIII (14 June 1800), when Napoleon was First Consul. It should be 60, 69, or 81 mm. in diameter; I've seen it described as all three. It looks like bronze, but it may well be bronze-coated lead or tin.  It's probably  Bramsen Vol. I No. 40 at p. 7 [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grand, ou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. I, 1799-1809 (Copenhagen 1904), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]. Note the spelling of Marengo as Maringo:

BramsenI40p.7.png.7ff5cf2e7ca6adadc8b34f3d3be21c3d.png

It should also be Trésor de Numismatique Fol. 13, Medailles de la Revolution Francaise, 5 Mai 1789 - 18 Mai 1804 (1836), Planche LXXVII.3 at pp. 101-102 (available at gallica.bnf.fr.):

T.N_Vol_13p.101Planche77.3part1.png.8fbfe173e445fd222fa23fe4dfc0a776.png

T.N_Vol_13p.102Planche77.3part2.png.6aba60007fe59508e8484f8201df4841.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Beautiful medals! I have nothing from the era. Supposedly one of my ancestors traveled with Napoleon's army to Russia and actually returned, but I've been unable to discover which one.

If you really want to learn about Napoleon, I suggest referring to the classics.

nappy.jpg.12c5ee8bf637b7e7481b15e21ee14068.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 2

• Benefactor
On 11/18/2023 at 3:35 PM, kirispupis said:

Supposedly one of my ancestors traveled with Napoleon's army to Russia and actually returned, but I've been unable to discover which one.

You had ancestors who were French at the time?

One of my great-great-great-grandfathers, who lived in Pomerania and was a horse-dealer by profession (like many other Jews in rural Prussia), was a small-time supplier (lieferant in German) of horses and other provisions to the Prussian army during the Napoleonic Wars. He was apparently caught in Danzig during the famous 1807 French siege, and took the opportunity to marry my 3rd great-grandmother there, but was allowed to return home after the city fell.  I have a silver snuffbox that belonged to him, manufactured in Prague and inscribed with his name.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

You had ancestors who were French at the time?

Yes and no. My grandfather's mother and father were both born + raised in Luxembourg. They emigrated separately to the US and met and married there. Many of the church records for Luxembourg are available online and I've traced quite a bit of my ancestry.

At the time of Napoleon, Luxembourg was occupied by France and records switched to French. From an ancestry standpoint, this made my job much easier because I still have difficulties reading the old German handwriting. I did find ancestors who would have been of age to serve in Napoleon's army, but I don't have any army records.

The main reason I know what I did have at least one relative in his army is my grandfather made a tape of our family history before he died and he mentioned it there. When I asked my mother about it, she said she remembered the tape and also my grandfather's stories about what his ancestor went through, but she couldn't remember which relative and had lost the tape.

My grandfather was raised by his grandmother, who was born in 1862. Her grandfather was born in 1793 - thus would have been 19 when Napoleon invaded Russia - and died in 1877 - so he could have told her the stories when she was a child. My belief is it was her grandfather - Johann Mees - but again I have nothing to prove it.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Back to Napoleonic medals! I am trying my best to eliminate by the end of this year my backlog of coins and medals, ancient and otherwise, not yet written up. Here's one that took me only six months to get done! 

France, AE Medal, Napoleon’s Return from Elba and March on Paris, 1815, by N.G.A. Brenet (Obverse), Jean-Bertrand Andrieu (Reverse), Dominique-Vivant Denon (Director). Obv: Crowned Napoleonic eagle with wings spread flies over sea from Isle of Elba, visible in distance, towards French shore at Golfe-Juan, holding original insignia of Legion d’Honneur in its beak, showing obverse side (with Napoleon’s portrait); in exergue in two lines, XXVI. FÉVRIER / MDCCCXV.; signed to lower left, BRENET, F.[ECIT], and to lower right, DEN.[ON]. D.[IREXIT]./ Rev. Napoleon on March to Paris, standing in military uniform, arms crossed on his chest, looking right towards two figures welcoming him: a peasant leaning towards him with open arms, and a uniformed Grenadier presenting arms to him, respectively representing the French people and the army; signed DENON DIR.[EXIT] downwards in lower left field and ANDRIEU F.[ECIT] upwards in lower right field; in exergue in two lines, RETOUR DE L'EMPEREUR / MARS MDCCCXV. Trésor Numismatique 64.3 p. 125, ill. Planche LXIV No. 3 [Paul Delaroche, Henriquel Dupont & Charles Lenormant, eds., Trésor de numismatique et de glyptique, Vol. 18, Collection de Médailles de L’Empire Français et de L’Empereur Napoleon (1840), available at gallica.bnf.fr]; Bramsen II 1591, p. 103 [Ludvig Ernst Bramsen, Médaillier Napoléon le Grandou, Description des médailles, clichés, repoussés, et médailles-décorations relatives aux affaires de la France pendant le consulat et l'empire, Vol. II, 1810-1815 at p. 35 (Copenhagen 1907), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Zeitz 136, p. 242, ill. p. 243 [Lisa & Joachim Zeitz, Napoleons Medaillen (Petersberg Imhof 2003)]; Todd pp. 201 (with obv. ill.), 204 (with rev. ill.) [Richard A. Todd, Napoleon’s Medals: Victory to the Arts (The History Press, UK, 2009)]; Laskey CXXXVI pp. 233-234 (describing only side depicting Napoleon) [Capt. J.C. Laskey, A Description of the Series of Medals Struck at the National Medal Mint by Order of Napoleon Bonaparte (London 1818), available on Google Books]; Julius 3282 p. 197 [Sammlung Dr. [Paul] Julius, Heidelberg: Französische Revolution Napoleon I. und seine Zeit : Medaillen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Münzen (Auktion 11 Jan. 1932, Otto Helbing Nachf., München, Auktions-Katalog 66), available at Newman Numismatic Portal]; Millin & Millingen 286 at p. 95 (ill. Pl. LII) [Aubin Louis Millin de Grandmaison & James Millingen, Medallic History of Napoleon (London 1819), available on Google Books]; David Thomason Alexander, A Napoleonic Medal Primer (2022), No. 160 (p. 160; ill. p. 161) (available at https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/618630); Jean Babelon, La Médaille et Les Médailleurs (Paris 1927), ill. Pl. XXIX No. 8. 40 mm., 33.7 g. Purchased 18 May 2023 from PGNUM (Marek Melcer, Podlaski Gabinet Numizmatyczny, Białystok, Poland).*

image.png.68de56e254101c8a2ceb819edcfae6ac.png

*The nine references for this medal cited above express varying opinions as to which side is the obverse and which the reverse, given that neither side bears a conventional obverse portrait. Four identify the eagle side dated Feb. 1815 as the obverse (Trésor Numismatique, Bramsen, Zeitz, and Alexander); four identify the obverse as the side dated March 1815 depicting Napoleon welcomed by the people and army (Laskey [the only side described], Julius, Millin & Millingen, and Babelon), and one (Todd) identifies neither side as the obverse, illustrating the two sides on different pages -- although the eagle side is illustrated first. I decided to identify the eagle side as the obverse because (1) The flight from Elba preceded the march on Paris chronologically, so it seems more logical for the side depicting it to have been intended as the obverse; and (2) The three catalogues of the nine generally considered the most complete and authoritative – Bramsen, Zeitz, and Trésor Numismatique – all identify the eagle side as the obverse.

Todd explains at p. 201 the significance of the Legion of Honor medal held by the eagle in its beak: “The crowned eagle flying from Elba to the French mainland carries in its beak the original Legion of Honor. The reason is clear. Louis XVIII had reorganized the Legion into one that suited him. Placing the portrait of Henry IV, the national hero, on the obverse” of the insignia to replace Napoleon’s portrait, he replaced the Napoleonic eagle originally on the reverse with “the symbol of the French monarchy, a crowned fleur-de-lis. In addition, Louis had discontinued the stipend that was the original part of the award” when Napoleon created it in 1804. Thus, having the Napoleonic eagle represent Napoleon’s return from Elba, carrying the original Legion of Honor in its beak, symbolizes not only the return of Napoleon himself but the restoration of both Emperor and eagle to the award.  

Here's the reverse of an 1804 medal (not mine), commemorating the Inauguration of the Legion d'Honneur, showing what the original reverse of the award, depicting the Napoleonic eagle, looked like:

image.png.7e833660c355694d04257457cddfce97.png

By contrast, here's my example of a medal presenting the British perspective on Napoleon's flight from Elba, from the 1820 Mudie Series; it also uses an eagle to represent his flight:

Great Britain, Napoleon's Flight from Elba/Congress of Vienna, 1815 (struck 1820). Obv. French eagle with thunderbolt (symbolizing Napoleon) approaches the French coast, Isle of Elba in background, to left TEMPLUM. JANI (Temple of Janus), with four-sided Janus on corner of roof, its doors lying broken (symbolizing the breaking of peace); in exergue: XXVI. FEBRUARY MDCCCXV.; above exergue line in front of Temple: BR [Brenet] / Rev. Mercury, displaying a scroll inscribed TO ARMS, flying over globe carrying the news of Napoleon's flight, DECLARATION OF THE CONGRESS OF VIENNA. In exergue: XIII MARCH. By N.G.A. Brenet/ A.J. Depaulis. AE 41 mm., 41.8 g. Mudie 32, Eimer 1064, BHM 869, Bramsen 1597.

image.jpeg.4a563ded9eefdef918f4cf90cc3baddb.jpeg

Note that the artist for the "eagle side" of both medals, depicting the flight of Napoleon from Elba, was the same person: Nicholas Guy Antoine Brenet (1773-1846). Like a number of leading French medallists who had worked for Napoleon, he provided his services to the British before Napoleon was in his grave. After all, you gotta make a buck! See Alexander, A Napoleonic Medal Primer, op. cit.at p. 164, discussing the James Mudie 40-piece series chronicling the British role in the Napoleonic Wars, in which this medal was No. 32: "Working with British medal-manufacturer Sir Edward Thomason, Mudie unblushingly sought out leading French medalists to create his designs. These engravers knew the subject well, having just finished working for Napoleon himself!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Benefactor
11 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

Lovely stuff.  Napoleonic medals are so handsome.

I have only one, and it is posthumous- struck in 1840 for his Paris funeral when they brought his remains back to France.  The reverse depicts his original tomb on St. Helena.

coins exonumia tokens weights france 1840 gilt bronze specimen medal by antoine bovy for napoleon bonaparte s paris funeral

Thanks, @lordmarcovan! Your medal is in fantastic condition. Gilt bronze tends to wear rather badly. If you like French medals, see this thread for more: https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5462-donnamls-top-12-french-coins-and-medals-for-2023/#comment-70706 . And for British medals, see https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5453-donnamls-top-11-british-coins-and-medals-for-2023/#comment-70595 .

• Thanks 1