Just a bit of fun

Tejas

Here is my small Totila Tremissis from Ticinium...

Totila.png.2df80bc4c88bceb312fd7b6d03cd671d.png

Totila, also known as Baduila; Reign: The Ostrogoths, in the name of Anastasius; Mint: Ticinum (the modern Pavia); Date: 549/552 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 15mm; Weight: 1.42g; Reference: cf. MIB 35; Reference: cf. Kraus 9; Reference: cf. Metlich 40; Reference: cf. BMC Vandals 4; Pedigree: Ex Jean Elsen Auction 97, Lot 580 (April 1997); Obverse: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Anastasius right; Inscription: DN ANASTA SIVS II [PP or PF] AVC; Translation: Dominus Noster Anastasius Perpetuus Augustus; Translation: Our Lord, Anastasius, perpetual August; Reverse: Victory with bodice facing floating above globus, holding wreath and globus cruciger; in field right, star; Inscription: VICTORIA AVCVSTORVM CONOT; Translation: Victoria Augustorum; Translation: Victory of the Augusts.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

6 hours ago, Tejas said:

I‘m afraid Wikipedia got it wrong. The source is Priscus, who wrote:

When the Scythian (the Romans often referred to the Goths as Scythians) Valamir (Theoderic‘s uncle) broke the treaty and devastated many Roman towns and regions, the Romans sent an embassy to him, which scorned him for these deeds and offered to pay him an annual tribute (or subsidy) of 300 pounds (of gold), so that he would no longer threaten Roman lands, because he had explained that his people had attacked and plundered Roman territory for the lack of food“

This is just my translation, but it is clear that the Romans paid the Goths. Indeed, 300 pounds was only a small tribute compared to what the Romans had paid the Huns. After Theoderic had united the Gothic armies, the Romans had to raise the tribute to 1000 pounds of gold per year. Buying off barbarians had been the usual practice in the 5th century, when Roman military power was weak. However, ever so often these payments would fail to arrive, which caused the barbarians to launch a new threat to enforce or even increase the tribute.

Priscus added the explanation that the Romans paid the Goths, because they were starving, to make this more palatable to his Roman audience. The tribute now looked like a subsidy (we would say humanitarian aid). It is probably true that the Goths needed the plunder, but the Romans paid out of fear that the Gothic army of Valamir would devastate Roman lands, thus destroying their tax base or even threatening Constantinople itself.

Unfortunately the history of the Migrations Period is complex, confusing, & not well documented. Many of the current writers on this subject have contradicted each other, so hopefully the study of numismatics will eventually give us some clarity on the subject 🤔.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rand said:

Congratulation. A very nice win today! (I was not an underbidder)

Thanks 🙂 ... I actually wanted the Odovacer Solidus. I had bid 1,200 euros and was the highest bidder - when my browser froze. Afterwards I saw that the Odovacer Solidus was being auctioned for 1,250 euros. I bit into the table top and, out of frustration, bought the Totila. That's life... 😄 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Totila, also known as Baduila; Reign: The Ostrogoths, in the name of Anastasius; Mint: Ticinum (the modern Pavia); Date: 549/552 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 15mm; Weight: 1.42g; Reference: cf. MIB 35; Reference: cf. Kraus 9; Reference: cf. Metlich 40; Reference: cf. BMC Vandals 4; Pedigree: Ex Jean Elsen Auction 97, Lot 580 (April 1997); Obverse: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Anastasius right; Inscription: DN ANASTA SIVS II [PP or PF] AVC; Translation: Dominus Noster Anastasius Perpetuus Augustus; Translation: Our Lord, Anastasius, perpetual August; Reverse: Victory with bodice facing floating above globus, holding wreath and globus cruciger; in field right, star; Inscription: VICTORIA AVCVSTORVM CONOT; Translation: Victoria Augustorum; Translation: Victory of the Augusts.

Very nice, congratulations. There are two nice details here: 1.  the mintmark shows a clear T for Ticinium and 2. the coin was minted after Totila‘s last attempt to come to an agreement with Justinian, when he decided to mint gold coins in the name of the long dead Anastasius.

Has anybody wondered why Totila is also called Baduila/Baduela? On his coins he is always called Baduila, in historical sources he is always called Totila. The ending in -ila is a typical short form of an east Germanic male name. My theory is that his full birth name was Theudebad (or similar), even though this name is not recorded anywhere. (Note that a son of Theodahat was called Theudegisel). 

The first part of the name Theude- means something like „the people“ and the second part (-bad) means „fight“ (the word battle is related). His commonly used nickname was clearly Totila, based on the first part of his name. However, I think he deliberately chose the second part of his name for his coins, to convey a message that he was ready to do battle with the Romans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Very nice, congratulations. There are two nice details here: 1.  the mintmark shows a clear T for Ticinium and 2. the coin was minted after Totila‘s last attempt to come to an agreement with Justinian, when he decided to mint gold coins in the name of the long dead Anastasius.

Thank you. And thank you for the sales-promoting information. The next time you place another order with me, it will be without shipping costs 😉 as a small thank you for the information..

32 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Has anybody wondered why Totila is also called Baduila/Baduela? On his coins he is always called Baduila, in historical sources he is always called Totila. The ending in -ila is a typical short form of an east Germanic male name. My theory is that his full birth name was Theudebad (or similar), even though this name is not recorded anywhere. (Note that a son of Theodahat was called Theudegisel). 

The first part of the name Theude- means something like „the people“ and the second part (-bad) means „fight“ (the word battle is related). His commonly used nickname was clearly Totila, based on the first part of his name. However, I think he deliberately chose the second part of his name for his coins, to convey a message that he was ready to do battle with the Romans. 

Very interesting. I actually asked myself that. Thank you also for this insight. Such topics and points are the salt in the soup of the hobby of numismatics and historical backgrounds. Aren't they?

On 11/14/2023 at 4:08 PM, Tejas said:

Has anybody wondered why Totila is also called Baduila/Baduela?

Very interesting. I suspect that Tejas (as a king's name) also has a history. It is also spelt variably.

The period since Totila started putting 'Anastasivs' on his coins and till the end of the Ostrogothic Kingdom has produced many interesting varieties of solidi and tremisses. At least Totila likely minted coins gold coins in different mints, possibly following his victories. I have tried to find a way to attribute it, but I have had little success so far.

Below are some coins probably from the period, but they do not have such a clear attribution, such as the nice coin above.

This one has a Justinian's Ravenna tremisses style. But Justinian would not put 'Anastasivs', and Totila did not take Ravenna (as far as I know).

image.jpeg.69960593085bbab2fa602f7e2e036612.jpeg

This one was found in Mersham, Kent in 2018. https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/908451

image.png.ab27da7dcffe7129de5af11a040b4d84.png

This one can be from Ticinum under Totila.

image.png.9ce0fc5a9f748560da7406f5a32e2b7e.png

Edited by Rand
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1

I have four tremisses attributed to Baduila, three in the name of Justinian. The first two show the mintmark COMOT or CONOT and have likely been minted at Ticinium. The third one seems to show the mintmark COMOB and has probably been minted at Rome.

4.PNG

5.PNG

7.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1

This tremissis has an obverse bust style which can also be found on some very rare silver coins of Teja/Theia. The coin was minted in the name of Anastasius, with the name starting to disintegrate. I think this may be one of the few or only gold coins tentatively attributable to the last Gothic king. Hence, the coin would date to AD 552.

The mintmark appears to be COMOI

Heinrich.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Wikipedia illustrates its page on Totila with the following coin (not mine)

image.jpeg.ba1a6c952dd5849def31237a17849b2e.jpeg

which shows the same unusual treatment of the emperor’s hair as dots above the diadem, as is seen on @Tejas coins of Baduila (Totila) in the name of Justinian from the Pavia mint.  This coin also has the T mintmark.  

Pavia is ancient Ticinum, just to clarify.   

My recent acquisition from CGB has the same dots for hair, but the mintmark is not obviously Ticinum.  

image.png.76692f8502ce19ba8bceeadc997364e5.png

image.jpeg.ae492ddad74ebed334321ba454276dac.jpeg

In fact, I am not sure what the engraver was trying to say here, from which mint this coin comes from, and who was responsible for striking it.

Edited by Hrefn
Pavia = Ticinum.
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, Tejas said:

I have four tremisses attributed to Baduila, three in the name of Justinian. The first two show the mintmark COMOT or CONOT and have likely been minted at Ticinium. The third one seems to show the mintmark COMOB and has probably been minted at Rome.

4.PNG

5.PNG

7.PNG

The third coin must be from the same series as my first two. Given the time gap between Anastasius and Justinianus, they must be from Baduila. Their style differs from the usual Ticinum tremisses - likely from another, more established mint. As Ravenna makes little sense and coins from Rome had very different styles before and after the Justinian conquest, Milan seems the most plausible choice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tejas said:

I have one tremissis attributable to Baduila, which was minted in the name of Anastasius. The mintmark is COMOB and the coin may have been minted at Rome in around AD 550.

3.PNG

Amazing coin. I have never seen it. Must have been in your posession for some time. It also has similarities to the coins mentioned in the previous post. This seems a nice little cluster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tejas said:

This tremissis has an obverse bust style which can also be found on some very rare silver coins of Teja/Theia. The coin was minted in the name of Anastasius, with the name starting to disintegrate. I think this may be one of the few or only gold coins tentatively attributable to the last Gothic king. Hence, the coin would date to AD 552.

The mintmark appears to be COMOI

Heinrich.PNG

Aha. Now I know who got it. It was quite a bidding (I did not bid). I liked this coin - the same style as Ratto's no. 247, but Ratto's photo did not let seeing all details.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

My recent acquisition from CGB has the same dots for hair, but the mintmark is not obviously Ticinum.  

It's a nice coin. It has similarities to the first coins, but the lettering, chest flaps, and the reverse have different styles - they could have been produced some time apart?

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

IMG_0012.jpeg.ee7fe6376f294c7f6770ca710cd11e6d.jpeg

Theoderic the Great (German Theoderich, historical model for Dietrich von Bern)
Reign: The Ostrogoths, in the name of Anastasius
Mint: Mediolanum (the modern Milan)
Date: ca. 493/498 AD; Nominal: Quarter siliqua (1/4)
Material: Silver; Diameter: 14.5mm; Weight: 0.67g
Reference: MIB 44b; Reference: Kraus 62; Reference: Metlich 51c; Reference: BMC Vandals 78

Obverse: Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust facing right and surrounded by legend; Inscription: DN ANASTASIVS PP AVC; Translation: Dominus Noster Anastasius Perpetuus Augustus; Translation: Our Lord, Anastasius, perpetual August; Reverse: Monogram of Theoderic with cross above and surrounded by legend; Inscription: INVICTA ROMA; Translation: Roma Invicta; Translation: Unconquered Rome.
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

55 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Reference: MIB 44b; Reference: Kraus 62; Reference: Metlich 51c; Reference: BMC Vandals 78

Obverse: Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust facing right and surrounded by legend; Inscription: DN ANASTASIVS PP AVC; Translation: Dominus Noster Anastasius Perpetuus Augustus; Translation: Our Lord, Anastasius, perpetual August; Reverse: Monogram of Theoderic with cross above and surrounded by legend; Inscription: INVICTA ROMA; Translation: Roma Invicta; Translation: Unconquered Rome.

Lovely toning on that mint-state miniature 🤩!

• Thanks 1

Today I have a little tremissis of Julius Nepos for you...

IMG_2913.jpeg.729ca888f2665d121c03d49bf3f85318.jpeg

Julius Nepos; Reign: Roman Imperial; Mint: uncertain, probably Salonae?; Date: 475/477 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 15mm; Weight: 1.49g; Rare: R4; Reference: RIC X Julius Nepos 3253 var (there without separation of the obverse legend); Pedigree: Ex H. D. Rauch Vienna, Austria (Auction 108, Lot 423, 04.06.2019); Pedigree: Ex Josefstadt Collection; Obverse: Bust of Julius Nepos, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right; Inscription: D N IVL NE-POS P F AG; Translation: Dominus Noster Julius Nepos Pius Felix Augustus; Translation: Our Lord Julius Nepos, Pious and Blessed August; Reverse: Cross within a wreath; Inscription: COMOB; Translation: Comitatus Obryziacum; Translation: County mint.
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, Tejas said:

For those who read German there is the book "Theoderich der Grosse" by Hans-Ulrich Wiemer from 2018.

Thank you, @Tejas 

Following the post, I initially bought it on Amazon in German and realised that I had lost whatever little German I knew. English readers would love to know that the book was released in English this year. I got it from both Apple Books and Audible (but it is also available for Kindle).

So far, the book is excellent, with a good balance of factual details and a critical perspective of the events. It is very well-referenced, has good maps and even a few coins! 

image.png.fe5ec4e90610a721c7cb7fc7a604c549.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 1:20 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

My Totila made it over the Alps - here's a little video (I have to do a bit of advertising for my channel) 😄 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:08 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

...and the same for the Theoderic Quarter Siliqua 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1