First pickup Roma event

panzerman

I am home today due to getting 2 cms of snow overnite. Just perfect timing for Roma Auction.🙂

I picked up....Celtic AV Stater

Britannia/Dobunni

Catti 1-20AD

AV Stater ND/ NM

5.36g.     19mm.     10h

Dobunnic Tree Emblem with Pellet at base

Stylized Horse to R/ CATTI + Sun within Beaded Circle above/ Wheel below/ Pellets around

ABC 2057 RARE

Van Arsdell 1130

BMC 3057-60

SCBC II 384

Celtic Coin Index 96.3306 (this coin)

ex: Peaker Coll./ Walter Sartori Coll./ Matthew Rich Coll.

Please post your Roma wins/ Celtic Dobuuni Staters

11517.2.12_1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

2 hours ago, panzerman said:

I am home today due to getting 2 cms of snow overnite. Just perfect timing for Roma Auction.🙂

I picked up....Celtic AV Stater

Britannia/Dobunni

Catti 1-20AD

AV Stater ND/ NM

5.36g.     19mm.     10h

Dobunnic Tree Emblem with Pellet at base

Stylized Horse to R/ CATTI + Sun within Beaded Circle above/ Wheel below/ Pellets around

ABC 2057 RARE

Van Arsdell 1130

BMC 3057-60

SCBC II 384

Celtic Coin Index 96.3306 (this coin)

ex: Peaker Coll./ Walter Sartori Coll./ Matthew Rich Coll.

Please post your Roma wins/ Celtic Dobuuni Staters

11517.2.12_1.jpg

Nice score John 🤩! The coin you won has an impressive provenance 😉. Roma had an excellent offering of British Celtic coins in this auction, with a nice variety depicting the Tree on Obverse types.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Is there a way to see what coins went for after live bidding? I placed a pre-bid on a coin  and was still the highest when pre-bidding ended, but I can’t see what it went for after live bids.

Yes/ go to biddr live auction site/ below you will see all sold lots/ scroll left to see hammer results.

John

PS: I hope your proxy bid held up🙂

• Like 1

Great win, congrats!

Seeing as the Andragoras-Sophytes hoard is drying up, i picked up a bactrian owl. was tempted to go a bit harder on the other bactrians, but seems more prudent to wait for january.

16604.20.9_1.jpgBaktria, 'Athenian Series' AR Tetradrachm. Uncertain mint in the Oxus region, circa 261-238 BC. Attic standard. Head of Athena to right, wearing earring, necklace, and crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves over visor and a spiral palmette and grape bunch(?) on the bowl / Owl standing to right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent behind, AΘE before; all within incuse square. Roma E-98, 585 var. (obv. legend); Bopearachchi, Sophytes -; Mitchiner -; SNG ANS -. 16.73g, 24mm, 12h.

• Like 8

For once, I followed my own advice on shifting focus away from a highly contested area and let four outstanding coins go. Congratulations to the new lucky owner(s).

I got an ‘academic’ Anastasian coin to avoid going away empty-handed. It links two die clusters and two reverse varieties -- old style ‘spike’ winged and new style ‘rounded’ winged Victoria -- helping their dating (coins from my collection).

image.png.638c53246ff348f3383ceda2c90cbeb7.png

• Like 10