Augustus colonial AE As from Ceasaraugusta

expat

Colonial coin under Augustus who founded the city as Caesaraugusta between 25 BC and 11 BC as a colony to settle army veterans from the Cantabrian wars. As a Roman city, it had all the typical public buildings: forum, baths, theatre, and was an important economic centre. Many Roman ruins can still be seen in Zaragoza today.

Ancient_Roman_triumphal_arch_of_Medinaceli-Spain.jpg.0fe495e2d7cda5547da380cd5cce142b.jpg

The Arch of Medinaceli, whichmarked the boundary between the Conventus Cluniensis and Caesaraugustanus

300px-Teatro_Romano_Cesaraugusta-vista_desde_arriba-3.jpg.376bc110a900bfac7af17b66ca0dd9e5.jpg

Roman Theater of Zaragoza, capital of a conventus iuridicus, built under Augustus and Tiberius

The Etymology is as follows. The Iberian town that preceded Roman colonisation was called Salduie or Salduba. The Romans and Greeks called the ancient city Caesaraugusta (in Greek Καισαραυγοῦστα from which derive the Arabic name سرقسطة Saraqusṭa (used during the Al-Andalus period), the medieval Çaragoça, and the modern Zaragoza.

The details of a coin I wanted,

AUGUSTUS. Æ. As. (Caesaraugusta, (Tarraconensis) Zaragoza, Spain)
Magistrates: Gnaeus Domitius Ampianus, Gaius Vettius Lancianus
Obverse: IMP. AVGVSTVS. TRIB. POTS. XX., laureate head of Augustus to the right.
Reverse: CAES. AVGVS (clockwise from 10-1). CN. DOM. AMP. C. VET. LANC (anti clockwise from 8-2). Priest ploughing with pair of oxen to the right. Below II (with horizontal line above) VIR. (*)
RPC volume I, #320
Leaded bronze,12.85g. 31mm. Reference: Vives 148–10, GMI 328, Beltrán 16, NAH 982, AB. 327.
* Taken from forumancient coins; II VIR One of two Roman officers or magistrates united in the same public functions (one of two (duumviri of a duumvirate). The title written as II VIR, appears on provincial and colonial coinage when dumvir was the title of the highest officials of the city. The office was held in much consideration during the Republic, as well for the power it conferred, as on account of its antiquity, the creation of the duumviri being referred to a period so far back as the reign of Tullus Hostillius.

The coin,

eK3T6HniL3f89QMkCHc2T4Kom57Nd5.jpg.03f98658f27906813d13f0eb7e36d8b6.jpg

Please post your Augustus coins be they colonials, provincials or others.

Edited by expat
Fixing some spelling mistakes
  • Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

• expat changed the title to Augustus colonial AE As from Ceasaraugusta
6 hours ago, expat said:

AUGUSTUS. Æ. As. (Caesaraugusta, (Tarraconensis) Zaragoza, Spain)

As I said in the other Threat - I like the Hispania Style so much - and also your coin! I have one coin with this style...

CALIGRPC185.jpg.6ad8bd31da073390e71e76d58345eb9f.jpg

Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Caligula; 
As of the Roman Imperial Period 37/39 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 28mm; Weight: 10.96g; Mint: Carthago Nova, Hispania Tarraconensis; Reference: RPC I. 185, SNG Copenhagen 503; Provenance: Ex Subastas Ibercoin Madrid Spain; Obverse: Laureate head of Caligula right. The Inscription reads: C CAESAR AVG GERMANIC IMP P M TR P COS for Caius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator Pontifex Maximus Tribunicia Potestate Consul (Gaius Caesar, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, Imperator, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul); Reverse: Draped bust of Salus (Caesonia?), right. The Inscription reads: CN ATEL FLAC CN POM FLAC II VIR Q V I N C - SAL AVG for Cnaeus Atellius Flaccus Cnaeus Pompeius Flaccus duumviri quinquennales - Salus Augusti (Gnaeus Atellius Flaccus, Gnaeus Pompeius Flaccus, duumviri for five years - Health of the emperor).

• Like 8
  • Yes 1

Neat addition, and great history. Do you know what the oxen and priest on the reverse mean? Is it the way the Romans inaugurated ground for a new city? Or marking the boundries? 

I dont have a provincial coin of Augustus to share though. 

4 hours ago, Limes said:

Neat addition, and great history. Do you know what the oxen and priest on the reverse mean? Is it the way the Romans inaugurated ground for a new city? Or marking the boundries? 

I dont have a provincial coin of Augustus to share though. 

Yes, from what I understand it was like breaking ground. The boundaries were marked to show the outer limits of a new area. After that, it became a yearly ritual to commemorate each anniversary.