CNG Auction 549 - Pompey the Great

Prieure de Sion

IMG_2766.jpeg.8908247fcb421cb18c63dd5f9feb0fbc.jpeg
https://auctions.cngcoins.com/lots/view/4-BIYO41/the-pompeians-sextus-pompey-376-bc-ar-denarius-18mm-392-g-12h-uncertain-sicilian-mint-near-ef 

I'm having a bidding war here. Is that someone here from the forum? If so, please let me know - then I'll stop. Please also send me a PN. We don't have to drive each other up... 😉 

• Like 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Popcorn 4

1 hour ago, Limes said:

lol, if you're that easily averted from a target, why bid in the first place? 

I am bidding for my shop. It would be stupid to bid against a forum user who would like to have the coin privately. I can then gladly do without.

And it has often happened that we have bid up each other here in the forum. Privately, no problem. But it is stupid to bid for the coin only to put it directly in the shop tomorrow.

• Yes 2

Just a friendly heads up, it's considered poor form to post a coin that is currently at auction, unless it's your coin. You are advertising the coin to a larger group and will only attract more bidders. If I was bidding on the coin, despite the spirit of kindness in stating you'd back down, I would not appreciate nor be happy about this thread. 

That said, it is a stunning portrait. And I already have my own humble coin of the type

2217834_1632778050.l-removebg-preview.png.8088e858ea2b5892891b35ace0cf21bd.png.2c0ad494704e56bb9afbfcdbb6ca5161.png

Ps, I didn't know you sold! I always enjoy the coins you post. Do you have a link to your shop?

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1

4 hours ago, Ryro said:

Ps, I didn't know you sold! I always enjoy the coins you post. Do you have a link to your shop?

Sure... User YOTHR = me = YOTHR 😉 

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/yoshua_three_coins-315/ancient-coins/Default.aspx? 

4 hours ago, Ryro said:

Just a friendly heads up, it's considered poor form to post a coin that is currently at auction, unless it's your coin. You are advertising the coin to a larger group and will only attract more bidders. If I was bidding on the coin, despite the spirit of kindness in stating you'd back down, I would not appreciate nor be happy about this thread. 

You are right, of course. I've already had 4-5 cases where we in the forum found out that I bought a coin at an auction that a forum member really wanted - and I only bought the coin to sell it again a day later. I felt sorry for that too.

I only have my shop as a "private" pastime. I don't have to make a living from it. That's why I don't mind giving up a coin. 

In the meantime, many users ask me via PN whether I am bidding on a certain extravagant coin and if so, whether I can perhaps do without it. 

But of course you are right - it draws attention to the coin, which can also be bad. But it was not meant in a bad way 🙂 

• Like 12
  • Clap 1

I sure wasn't bidding on it, I promise.  Furthermore, I like the lower-grade versions posted by @CPK and @Ryro.  Here's a low-grade one I snagged on eBay, badly mis-listed and very cheap and whacked with banker's marks:

image.jpeg.2a6d614b74a3fbfedce32e9431c2159c.jpeg

That being said, I am going to venture an inexpert opinion - do you notice the three lower-grade versions posted here have a slight concave/convex strike to them? 

The CNG example looks very, very "flat" especially on the obverse.  I don't care for this look, as it reminds me of all those "Bulgarian" fakes on eBay that have been pressed by a machine rather than struck.  Undoubtedly the experts at CNG have far more knowledge about these matters than I do, but despite its high grade, I don't like it.  A few die-matches would give me more confidence in it, but I'm still not crazy about its look.

The beauty posted by @jdmKY was posted as I typed this - it too seems less concave/convex, but it doesn't look "pressed" to me.  And that portrait is spectacular - compare it to the CNG example, which is far sketchier.   

Maybe this issue had a wide range of striking characteristics/artistic merit - those were troubled times.  Again, I'm a rank amateur!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

8 hours ago, CPK said:

@Prieure de Sion Did you end up winning it? It is a spectacular example.

Here is my sorry-by-comparison specimen: 😄

SextusPompeyDenarius.jpg.0af3101ebe8f0aa3bfdc486440bb163d.jpg

No Sorry for that - all can show their examples here! I like it. Nice example - I don’t have this type in my collection. 

And no - I don’t get the coin - like I don’t get the other coins of my want list. I got only 2 coins at CNG I set a pre-bid. Because in our city part we have internet problems and so I had for 2-3h no connection. I can’t participate the live biddings 😞 

• Cry 2

8 hours ago, Marsyas Mike said:

Maybe this issue had a wide range of striking characteristics/artistic merit - those were troubled times.  Again, I'm a rank amateur!  

When buying, I first trust the experts of the reputable auction houses. Only on delivery does it go through my hands but above all through the hands of my expert. With pictures, I am therefore always cautious in my opinion. But of course you have to be very careful - especially with the denarii of the time of the civil wars. There are many good forgeries in circulation.

By the way, one of the most common forgeries in circulation are the legionary denarii of Mark Anthony.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

Sorry you missed out on this one @Prieure de Sion. I’m sure you’ll end up with a great example of the type eventually. 🙂 

Thank you. The world will not end. There are always nice offers. I had tried to bid with my mobile phone - but I was too slow to find my CNG access data and by the time I got to the website with my mobile phone, the lot had expired. But it happened. It's perfectly ok.

There will be more nice lots in the coming weeks. I look on the bright side - I saved money for another upcoming auction and coin 🙂 

• Like 1

Final hammer is 1900. Guess you stopped the bidding war! 😁

Going against the stream here, but I recently sold my issue of this type. Wasnt pleased with its place in my collection anymore, and i have one with a better portrait of Pompey (Not as good as the OP coin though!) but with a different reverse.