Are You Ready for Halloween ?

Al Kowsky

I'm ready. I've got plenty of scary movies and videos to watch, on Prime Video and Youtube. Trick Or Treat is not a big deal in my neighborhood. I may decorate my front porch a bit. If any Trick Or Treaters show up, I'll give each Trick Or Treater a dollar bill. Here's 1 of my ancient Greek coins, which looks sort of like the Man In The Moon.

image.jpeg.fe5d16d8d577ddb242044e1b367f2302.jpeg

Mysia Parion. AR 3/4 Drachm. Circa 480 BC. Sear 3917. Diameter = 12.14 mm. Weight = 3.07 grams. Obverse Gorgon. Reverse : Incuse Punch.

Edited by sand
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, sand said:

I'm ready. I've got plenty of scary movies and videos to watch, on Prime Video and Youtube. Trick Or Treat is not a big deal in my neighborhood. I may decorate my front porch a bit. If any Trick Or Treaters show up, I'll give each Trick Or Treater a dollar bill. Here's 1 of my ancient Greek coins, which looks sort of like the Man In The Moon.

image.jpeg.fe5d16d8d577ddb242044e1b367f2302.jpeg

Mysia Parion. AR 3/4 Drachm. Circa 480 BC. Sear 3917. Diameter = 12.14 mm. Weight = 3.07 grams. Obverse Gorgon. Reverse : Incuse Punch.

That Gorgon is rather ghost-like 👻.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I was planning on laying low this Halloween, but then these two dudes showed up, so we're going out to scare the neighborhood and set the dogs barking frantically tonight!

Eastern Arabia, Oman Peninsula, Mleiha, Abi'el, BI tetradrachms, 1st century BC - 1st century AD.

14.98 grams (left), 15.01 grams (right).

In the very localized style of an Alexander III tetradrachm.

D-CameraEasternArabiaOmanMleihaAbielBItets1stcenBC-1stcenAD14.98g(l)15.01g(r)10-31-23.jpg.ebfa84c9344908e20164a2eca7690123.jpg

• Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 hours ago, robinjojo said:

I was planning on laying low this Halloween, but then these two dudes showed up, so we're going out to scare the neighborhood and set the dogs barking frantically tonight!

Eastern Arabia, Oman Peninsula, Mleiha, Abi'el, BI tetradrachms, 1st century BC - 1st century AD.

14.98 grams (left), 15.01 grams (right).

In the very localized style of an Alexander III tetradrachm.

D-CameraEasternArabiaOmanMleihaAbielBItets1stcenBC-1stcenAD14.98g(l)15.01g(r)10-31-23.jpg.ebfa84c9344908e20164a2eca7690123.jpg

Bizarre looking coins abstracted like Celtic coins 😮.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

Bizarre looking coins abstracted like Celtic coins 😮.

The obverse style of those two coins is not dissimilar to some of the Lihyan tetradrachms of Northwest Arabia.

Northwest Arabia, Lihyan Kingdom,  2 AE imitation owls, 2nd-1st centuries BC.

Huth 40 - Huth, Athenian

13.45 grams (left), 12.45 grams (right)

D-CameraLihyan.2AEowls2nd-1stcenBC13.45g(l)12.45g(r)Huth40-HuthAthenianfig.5e9-20-23.jpg.439cc0d51b56a59bb992c5b4ae449e9e.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

12 hours ago, robinjojo said:

The obverse style of those two coins is not dissimilar to some of the Lihyan tetradrachms of Northwest Arabia.

Northwest Arabia, Lihyan Kingdom,  2 AE imitation owls, 2nd-1st centuries BC.

Huth 40 - Huth, Athenian

13.45 grams (left), 12.45 grams (right)

D-CameraLihyan.2AEowls2nd-1stcenBC13.45g(l)12.45g(r)Huth40-HuthAthenianfig.5e9-20-23.jpg.439cc0d51b56a59bb992c5b4ae449e9e.jpg

Interesting coin types ☺️. Do they have any silver in them 🤔?

• Like 2

• Benefactor
7 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Interesting coin types ☺️. Do they have any silver in them 🤔?

Very little, if any.  These coins are somewhat later issues.  Over time coins from the Lihyan Kingdom fairly rapidly became debased to the point of being mostly bronze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Halloween was a big bust last night in Churchville because of the weather 🥹. It was brutally cold with rain turning to snow. Only 6 kids rang my doorbell, so I loaded them up with candy but still had a lot left over 😖.

You had 6 more Trick Or Treaters than I did. I decorated my front porch with Halloween decorations, but no one showed up, therefore no dollar bills given. I live on a dead end street, and the houses are sort of far apart, and it's not a wealthy neighborhood, so maybe that's why. That's okay. More money for me to buy coins. I had fun reading, and watching spooky videos on Youtube.

Edited by sand
  • Cry 1

Sorry to hear about the weather affecting your Halloween turn out @Al Kowsky. Also sorry that there weren’t any trick or treaters in your area @sand 

We had a great turn out with lots of candy and good times. I was a bit bummed that we had some trouble with our path lighting. It was also a bit too windy for my smoke machine to achieve optimal results (I have some ideas how to fix that next year). Our projector optical illusions and the Grim Reaper were a big hit with the kids though.

Our area is a big trick or treat destination. My neighbor down the street built a whole obstacle course with tunnels out of webs that the kids would go through to get to the front door. Another was handing out “adult” candy to the parents with chocolates shaped like whiskey bottles filled with alcohol. Someone had an “IT” theme with Georgi and Pennywise (pretty cleverly done).

My wife bought three different costumes for our little one because she couldn’t decide so he put on a bit of a baby fashion show. 🙂 

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

Sorry to hear about the weather affecting your Halloween turn out @Al Kowsky. Also sorry that there weren’t any trick or treaters in your area @sand 

We had a great turn out with lots of candy and good times. I was a bit bummed that we had some trouble with our path lighting. It was also a bit too windy for my smoke machine to achieve optimal results (I have some ideas how to fix that next year). Our projector optical illusions and the Grim Reaper were a big hit with the kids though.

IMG_6161.jpeg.ceb019dba2aae551b9d837596d93195b.jpeg

Our area is a big trick or treat destination. My neighbor down the street built a whole obstacle course with tunnels out of webs that the kids would go through to get to the front door. Another was handing out “adult” candy to the parents with chocolates shaped like whiskey bottles filled with alcohol. Someone had an “IT” theme with Georgi and Pennywise (pretty cleverly done).

My wife bought three different costumes for our little one because she couldn’t decide so he put on a bit of a baby fashion show. 🙂 

That's a great arraignment for a dark night 😍!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sand said:

You had 6 more Trick Or Treaters than I did. I decorated my front porch with Halloween decorations, but no one showed up, therefore no dollar bills given. I live on a dead end street, and the houses are sort of far apart, and it's not a wealthy neighborhood, so maybe that's why. That's okay. More money for me to buy coins. I had fun reading, and watching spooky videos on Youtube.

Well at least you saved a little play money.

emojiwithmoney.jpg.a0d2069557f89b443997496486aa9ded.jpg

• Like 1

I like the spooky movies and radio shows.  I just don't like the hassle of trick-or-treating.  Candy's also rather expensive.  A large bag is around $12-16 and jellybeans are hard to find now (the jellybeans are more for my own consumption). 

Come to think of it, I don't think my neighbor had the Bates motel lighted sign this year.  A bit disappointing.

That's a pretty cool display, Curtismo.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I like the spooky movies and radio shows.  I just don't like the hassle of trick-or-treating.  Candy's also rather expensive.  A large bag is around $12-16 and jellybeans are hard to find now (the jellybeans are more for my own consumption). 

Come to think of it, I don't think my neighbor had the Bates motel lighted sign this year.  A bit disappointing.

That's a pretty cool display, Curtismo.

Halloween eve I watched the Stephen King classic "It", a long but great movie ☺️.

MovieIt.jpg.a46f36df5ea16e0ed73e8b2499c5a897.jpg

• Like 1